From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Claudia
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:29 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: VPN?

Hi,

What is a VPN and will it affect my using Jaws, in any way?
My employer is going to give me access to one of these.

Thanks.

Claudia

Thank you.

Claudia

Okay,

Here are more questions then. I don't remember making mention of Citrix, but we do actually use that. There is a state database on Citrix that has all client information on it.
I work for a state vocational rehabilitation agency.

As it stands, I cannot use Citrix to get into this database because Jaws is obviously installed on my, and a few other users' machines. From my understanding, Citrix would need to be installed on that server statewide, in order for me to be able to use it to access the client database.

So, the IT solution is to come down and install physical copies of Jaws and the database on my laptop, so that I will have instant access essentially.
In other words, I'll be able to launch the client database from the laptop, instead of having to log into it remotely.

So, are there many others using Citrix with Jaws, and if so, what capacity do you use it in?

Claudia

PS. All of this is giving me a headache; I am becoming more confused, by the minute.

On 4/18/2012 3:41 PM, Marquette, Ed wrote:
Claudia:
If it is a true VPN, you should be just fine. I use one every single day, and JAWS is not affected in the slightest.
The problem is that sometimes the term is used loosely to refer to a variety of remote access solutions. Even if it is really a Citrix connection (not a real VPN), JAWS still works. It is just a little more challenging n that JAWS needs to be loaded on the Citrix server too, and you need to have the more expensive JAWS edition. I have it, but I don't remember what it is called.

What is a VPN and will it affect my using Jaws, in any way?
My employer is going to give me access to one of these.

Thanks.

Claudia

Thank you.

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

OK.
If you have a true VPN, you won't need Citrix; however, even with a VPN there are some applications that won't work with a VPN. In those instances, you will need something like Citrix. We have that exact situation. Fortunately, the only applications that require Citrix are applications I never really use or care about.
You can use Citrix. JAWS does need to be loaded on your machine and on the server. It really isn't that hard to do, and John Carlson (in escalation at Freedom Scientific) is pretty good. You don't have to buy two copies of JAWS (by the way, Window-Eyes works exactly the same way).
So, you do not have to rely on some downloaded copy of this database. You can access it, and if the state has any IT personnel worthy of the name, they should be able to set up a Citrix server with JAWS.

What is a VPN and will it affect my using Jaws, in any way?
My employer is going to give me access to one of these.

Thanks.

Claudia

Thank you.

Brent Harding

This is one of the shortcomings, to access that machine's desktop remotely needs Jaws at the server. It might not be so bad if it is one machine, not sure if they even need to buy another one for it. I'd imagine that having the files locally means you end up not having the changes made on the system, and your co-workers don't have what you do until someone merges it in either, maybe.

What is a VPN and will it affect my using Jaws, in any way?
My employer is going to give me access to one of these.

Thanks.

Claudia

Thank you.

Brent Harding

This type of issue is what probably caused me to not get hired time and time again in the first place. The states have a little more law behind having to do it than private industry.

[...]

epierce@...

re: client-server applications

Citrix is not a VPN, it is a way of creating a "remote" interface to a server application (such as a database), that typically runs on a LAN (local area network).

Typically, a VPN connection from a remote location would be used to support "secure" connections/logins to an application on a Citrix server inside an organization's firewall.

Citrix is a fairly ancient technology, but has its strengths (and many more weaknesses).

My guess is that the agency you are working for implemented its database applications a very long time ago on Citrix, and has not been able to find the money or will to redesign the application on better technology.

In its original form, it was the solution to the problem of providing access to high quality server resources (running expensive application services) from low-end client PCs.

You could think of it was an attempt to mimic a super expensive mainframe on a moderate priced local area network. Your "low-end" client PC mimics the function of the old mainframe "data entry terminals".

Cloud computing will supposedly make legacy technologies like Citrix even more obsolete than they aleardy are.

Sorry about your headache and confusion, this stuff is the ugly underbelly of IT. Let it settle in slowly. don't worry about understanding everything immediately.

[...]

Gary King

Ed,
From the problems Claudia is still having, it looks like the state's tech
people haven't had much experience setting up JAWS in a networking environment. I hope they are willing to seek help from FS or from someone who is more knowledgeable than they seem to be.

Gary King
w4wkz@bellsouth.net