Topics

What is a VPN?

epierce@...

Sounds like madness (no pun intended).

dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net said:
... I don't know what would happen if JAWS were to be
installed on the network and required to use VPN to get at it. Anyone else
have an opinion on that?

Dave...

Tom,

Exactly. However I once had the soft token, but in my latest setup they just
simplified things and gave me a hard-coded 5-digit pin to use. Much easier
and perhaps almost as secure, since it's easy to memorize. Maybe your IT
group will consider that for you, as well.

As to using other network resources, VPN affects XP differently from Windows
7.

In XP I had to always disconnect VPN before I could use my local printer, or
any of my networked drives on my local network (these all outside the VPN).
However Windows 7 allows these to get through now and it's so much easier.

And I concur that JAWS is not affected in any way, as long as its installed
on the local computer. I don't know what would happen if JAWS were to be
installed on the network and required to use VPN to get at it. Anyone else
have an opinion on that?
turn off has a couple different

Dave Carlson

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:43:47 -0400
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com (on behalf of "Bissett, Tom" <tom.bissett@bmo.com>)
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>

VPN: A virtual private network.
It a connectivity tool used by many organizations. I use that connection when I work from home. I have no problems with it, I have all my applications on my local machine and I have full access to my network drives.

The one area that can be a problem is the logon method. We use RSA Security. There is a hardware token [its like a little calculator looking] version which is totally inaccessable. I use a "soft token" this is a software version of the hardware token and is with some jaws scripting it is usable.

Brent Harding

It's a virtual private network. It shouldn't really effect Jaws at all. Imagine it as a network line that connects you to work, but it uses a small software program, or sometimes the interface similar to dialup in Windows, to bring up and tear down. They help the company's security more than anything

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>