From: "John Sherrer" <john@whitecane.org>
To: "'The Jaws for Windows support list.'" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:44 AM
Subject: Reading spaces in a Word Doc

Hi JAWS Users
Does JAWS have the ability to read the spaces in a Word document?
I am using W7 and Word 2007.
I am proof reading a long document, and sometimes I will hit the space bar
twice, so I want to fix this in the document.
John

Dave...

John,

Rather than trying to find those double spaces manually, just do this:

Ctrl+H for search and replace
2. Type two spaces in the find field.
3. Tab and type a single space in the replace field.
4. Alt+a to find and replace all.
5. Press Enter on okay when it's done, and press Alt+A again to find any
more (you might have some triple-spaces or more that need trimming.
6. Repeat until zero occurrences are found.
7. Escape out of the dialog.

Dave Carlson

Does JAWS have the ability to read the spaces in a Word document?
I am using W7 and Word 2007.
I am proof reading a long document, and sometimes I will hit the space bar
twice, so I want to fix this in the document.
John

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

Turn on text analyzer.

Does JAWS have the ability to read the spaces in a Word document?
I am using W7 and Word 2007.
I am proof reading a long document, and sometimes I will hit the space bar
twice, so I want to fix this in the document.
John

Thank you.

Jean Menzies <jemenzies@...>

What is text analyser? Here I go again with culture shock from Jaws 8 to 13.

Does JAWS have the ability to read the spaces in a Word document?
I am using W7 and Word 2007.
I am proof reading a long document, and sometimes I will hit the space bar
twice, so I want to fix this in the document.
John

RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH ADVICE
IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED,
AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING PENALTIES
UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.

E-mail message.
Thank you.

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

If you are doing serious proof-reading, text analyzer can be pretty useful, particularly if you typically do not add two spaces at the end of sentences.
You can find out about text analyzer by pressing Insert and the number 6 on the top row of keys on your keyboard.
That will put you in a search box. Type in the word "text" and hit return.
You will get a list. Actually, you could have typed in "Text Analyzer" to go straight to Text Analyzer, but I thought seeing all the text processing options might be useful for someone who is jumping from JAWS 8 to 13.
When you get to Text Analyzer, press right arrow to open up the options. It can be turned off entirely (which is the default setting), or you can turn it on to beep on lines with problems, announce the number of problems, or actually tell you the problems.
For instance, it can say "font change at column ___" or "run of spaces at column ____" or "quote mismatch" and so on.
The run of spaces is very useful for identifying places where there are too many spaces; however, if you are in the habit of placing (or are required to place) two spaces after a period, text analyzer isn't smart enough to have that feature turned on and off.
Also, when searching for revisions in a document, the "next" feature is pretty slick, though not on the tool bar.
I have created my own hotkey in Word so that alt plus shift plus R jumps to the next revision and alt plus shift plus shift plus P jumps back to the previous revision.
It works better than the revisions tracking feature in JAWS.
If you are looking for track changes in a document another technique is to turn on those quick keys with insert plus z.
Then, you can jump from revision to revision simply with a press of the letter "r".

What is text analyser? Here I go again with culture shock from Jaws 8 to 13.
Does JAWS have the ability to read the spaces in a Word document?
I am using W7 and Word 2007.
I am proof reading a long document, and sometimes I will hit the space bar
twice, so I want to fix this in the document.
John

RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH ADVICE
IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED,
AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING PENALTIES
UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.

E-mail message.
Thank you.

Adrian Spratt

Dave and Beamer,

One obvious warning is to be sure ahead of time that there aren't places in
your document where you've deliberately placed several consecutive spaces.
For example, one convention for inserting a break in text is to use three
centered asterisks separated by a specified number of spaces. In these
cases, I substitute another series of symbols, such as three number signs,
in the places where I want to retain multiple spaces. After I've done my
search and replace for the unwanted spaces, I do a new search for the three
number signs and replace them with the desired spaces.

That said, I suggest starting out by a search for three spaces to be
replaced by one space. With this one step, you eliminate all odd-numbered
instances of space other than the single space. It also reduces the number
of times you need to repeat the search for double spaces.

Does JAWS have the ability to read the spaces in a Word document?
I am using W7 and Word 2007.
I am proof reading a long document, and sometimes I will hit the space bar
twice, so I want to fix this in the document.
John

John ESherrer

Hi Dave
I thought about that, but I want two spaces between asentances. I did think
about doing as you say, and then coming back and looking for a period and
one space and replace it with a period and two spaces. But that would leave
two spaces after each paragraph, and that would not hurt anything.
John

Does JAWS have the ability to read the spaces in a Word document?
I am using W7 and Word 2007.
I am proof reading a long document, and sometimes I will hit the space bar
twice, so I want to fix this in the document.
John

John ESherrer

Thanks for this.
John

What is text analyser? Here I go again with culture shock from Jaws 8 to 13.
Does JAWS have the ability to read the spaces in a Word document?
I am using W7 and Word 2007.
I am proof reading a long document, and sometimes I will hit the space bar
twice, so I want to fix this in the document.
John

RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH ADVICE
IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED,
AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING PENALTIES
UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.

E-mail message.
Thank you.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

One thing you'll notice about Text Analyzer; it should be called "Line
Analyzer," rather like the stone-age text editor, Edlin. For instance,
if you enclose a phrase in parentheses, and that phrase extends past a
line brake, Analyzer will report it as an error. It sees only one
parenthesis at a time, not realizing they're a matched set.

Ted

What is text analyser? Here I go again with culture shock from Jaws 8 to
13.
Does JAWS have the ability to read the spaces in a Word document?
I am using W7 and Word 2007.
I am proof reading a long document, and sometimes I will hit the space
bar
twice, so I want to fix this in the document.
John

RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH
ADVICE
IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED,
AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING PENALTIES
UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.

message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete
this
E-mail message.
Thank you.