Reading large pdf docs with adobe reader

Nickus de Vos <bigboy529@...>

Hi
There's a spesific pdf doc that I'm trying to read and it's like 1200
pages. As you might know if you choose read entire document jaws
annalizes the entire document and loads it in to the computers ram.
Because of the size of this document it makes adobe reader crash every
time. The other option is to read currently visible pages only, my
question is, when reading currently visible pages only, can you still
get adobe reader to go to the next page automatically and get jaws to
annalize the pages as you go to the next one?

Soronel Haetir

I've never been able to get it to go to the next page automatically in
read visible pages only mode. I've always had to hit the ctrl-page
down key combination (or use the menu).

On 4/9/12, Nickus de Vos <bigboy529@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi
There's a spesific pdf doc that I'm trying to read and it's like 1200
pages. As you might know if you choose read entire document jaws
annalizes the entire document and loads it in to the computers ram.
Because of the size of this document it makes adobe reader crash every
time. The other option is to read currently visible pages only, my
question is, when reading currently visible pages only, can you still
get adobe reader to go to the next page automatically and get jaws to
annalize the pages as you go to the next one?

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

If anybody figures that one out, let me know immediately. Believe it or
not, AR4 allowed you to do just that, but it's been a long time. That
was the first accessible version with the little plug-in.

Ted

There's a spesific pdf doc that I'm trying to read and it's like 1200
pages. As you might know if you choose read entire document jaws
annalizes the entire document and loads it in to the computers ram.
Because of the size of this document it makes adobe reader crash every
time. The other option is to read currently visible pages only, my
question is, when reading currently visible pages only, can you still
get adobe reader to go to the next page automatically and get jaws to
annalize the pages as you go to the next one?

Gary King

Ted,
The long ago version that you are talking about worked in an entirely different way than the current version. With the current version of the reader, documents either load entirely into the virtual buffer or load a page at a time. In addition to the problem of having to advance through a large document by pages, you also have the problem of not being able to use the JAWS search feature to find text beyond your current page in the document. Don't think there's a fix.

Gary King
w4wkz@bellsouth.net

There's a spesific pdf doc that I'm trying to read and it's like 1200
pages. As you might know if you choose read entire document jaws
annalizes the entire document and loads it in to the computers ram.
Because of the size of this document it makes adobe reader crash every
time. The other option is to read currently visible pages only, my
question is, when reading currently visible pages only, can you still
get adobe reader to go to the next page automatically and get jaws to
annalize the pages as you go to the next one?

Soronel Haetir

One possible fix, if the document allows it, is to save the entire
thing as text and to then use something other than adobe to read the
file. I've actually been quite happy with FS' HJPad demo application
for that sort of use.

You do not have to process the document for accessibility before
saving it, but the document might be locked against it.

On 4/9/12, Gary King <w4wkz@bellsouth.net> wrote:
[...]

epierce@...

Perhaps significantly increasing the size of the operating system "swap file" would help?

There's a spesific pdf doc that I'm trying to read and it's like 1200
pages. As you might know if you choose read entire document jaws
annalizes the entire document and loads it in to the computers ram.
Because of the size of this document it makes adobe reader crash every
time.

Soronel Haetir

Nope, this system has 32gb ram and I still have problems with PDF
files over 600 pages or so. The PDF format is just not all that great
for on-line reading. That was true when I could see and it is even
more true now that I can not.

On 4/9/12, epierce@surewest.net <epierce@surewest.net> wrote:
Perhaps significantly increasing the size of the operating system "swap
file" would help?

There's a spesific pdf doc that I'm trying to read and it's like 1200
pages. As you might know if you choose read entire document jaws
annalizes the entire document and loads it in to the computers ram.
Because of the size of this document it makes adobe reader crash every
time.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I think you're exactly right. Some of the old DOS word processors
worked rather like that old AR. I recall DisplayWrite 3, 4, and 5 had
an upper limit of 4999 pages of text; pages 5000 and beyond were
reserved for footnotes, and this ran on an old 386 platform with 640K
plus high and expanded memory. The PDF reader produced in the UK by the
same company that gave us Thunder seems to work on documents of various
sizes, if you don't mind the fact that search capabilities are primitive
to nonexistent. The last time I tried FoxIt, it was a total bust.

Ted

There's a spesific pdf doc that I'm trying to read and it's like 1200
pages. As you might know if you choose read entire document jaws
annalizes the entire document and loads it in to the computers ram.
Because of the size of this document it makes adobe reader crash every
time. The other option is to read currently visible pages only, my
question is, when reading currently visible pages only, can you still
get adobe reader to go to the next page automatically and get jaws to
annalize the pages as you go to the next one?

Nickus de Vos <bigboy529@...>

The problem isn't the computer running out of memory as said a 32 GB
ram system still has problems, the problem is jaws having to annalize
the entire document and I think it's also loaded in some kind of jaws
buffer.

On 4/10/12, Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) <Ted.Lisle@ky.gov> wrote:
[...]

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

I find this interesting because I have to read manuals more than a thousand pages all the time and I have no issues. It does take a long time to load but once loaded it works fine. I will often save it as text or run it through kurzweil to convert to word because of the load time which can be five to ten minutes which is to long when I want to look up stuff.
I am using XP pro sp3 jaws 11 and reader 9.
Regards
Tom Bisset

There's a spesific pdf doc that I'm trying to read and it's like 1200
pages. As you might know if you choose read entire document jaws
annalizes the entire document and loads it in to the computers ram.
Because of the size of this document it makes adobe reader crash every
time. The other option is to read currently visible pages only, my
question is, when reading currently visible pages only, can you still
get adobe reader to go to the next page automatically and get jaws to
annalize the pages as you go to the next one?

Dave...

A 32 Gb RAM system? That's an incredible amount of RAM. Did you mean a
32-bit machine? Or do you have a 32G swap drive set up?

Dave Carlson

There's a spesific pdf doc that I'm trying to read and it's like 1200
pages. As you might know if you choose read entire document jaws
annalizes the entire document and loads it in to the computers ram.
Because of the size of this document it makes adobe reader crash every
time. The other option is to read currently visible pages only, my
question is, when reading currently visible pages only, can you still
get adobe reader to go to the next page automatically and get jaws to
annalize the pages as you go to the next one?

Soronel Haetir

No, I do in fact mean 32gb of physical ram. It's an 8 core Xeon (dual
quads) with about 10tb HDD capacity now.

The main thing I use all that capability for is running virtual
machines. It's way easier to perform initial debugging of windows
drivers under non-starvation conditions.

The thing is, even with a system as ridiculously overpowered as what
I've got, acrobat reader still crawls on documents larger than 600
pages or so.

On 4/10/12, Farfar and His Trusty Guide Beamer <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
A 32 Gb RAM system? That's an incredible amount of RAM. Did you mean a
32-bit machine? Or do you have a 32G swap drive set up?

Dave Carlson

There's a spesific pdf doc that I'm trying to read and it's like 1200
pages. As you might know if you choose read entire document jaws
annalizes the entire document and loads it in to the computers ram.
Because of the size of this document it makes adobe reader crash every
time. The other option is to read currently visible pages only, my
question is, when reading currently visible pages only, can you still
get adobe reader to go to the next page automatically and get jaws to
annalize the pages as you go to the next one?

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Dave...

Soronel.

Hard to get my head around that much RAM, but so be it.

Looks like it's either how Acrobat handles the memory management, or how
JAWS is interacting with same. I'd wonder if there's someone you can turn to
who can observe the on-screen activity with the same large document, and
JAWS unloaded? Does JAWS cause the slowdown, or is it inherent in
Acrobat/Adobe?

Dave Carlson

There's a spesific pdf doc that I'm trying to read and it's like 1200
pages. As you might know if you choose read entire document jaws
annalizes the entire document and loads it in to the computers ram.
Because of the size of this document it makes adobe reader crash every
time. The other option is to read currently visible pages only, my
question is, when reading currently visible pages only, can you still
get adobe reader to go to the next page automatically and get jaws to
annalize the pages as you go to the next one?

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Dave...

Soronel,

Another clarification, please. Adobe Reader, or Adobe Acrobat?

Dave Carlson

There's a spesific pdf doc that I'm trying to read and it's like 1200
pages. As you might know if you choose read entire document jaws
annalizes the entire document and loads it in to the computers ram.
Because of the size of this document it makes adobe reader crash every
time. The other option is to read currently visible pages only, my
question is, when reading currently visible pages only, can you still
get adobe reader to go to the next page automatically and get jaws to
annalize the pages as you go to the next one?

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Nickus de Vos <bigboy529@...>

With my 4 GB ram which sounds very little now lol, I closed jaws and
let someone sighted navigate the 1200 page document in adobe reader
and they had no problems with it so it seems that it's a jaws problem
or limitation.

[...]

Reader, thankfully I don't produce any PDF documents at all.

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

One thing I've found that significantly reduces problems with large documents is this:
When the document begins to load, and it asks for your preferences, choose raw print stream instead of:
Infer reading order from document.
I've had documents that wouldn't load at all with Infer reading order from document, which loaded just fine when I chose Raw Print Stream.

Thank you.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 7042 (20120410) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 7042 (20120410) __________

http://www.eset.com

Soronel Haetir

Interesting, I will have to try that.

On 4/10/12, Bill White <billwhite92701@dslextreme.com> wrote:
[...]

database 7042 (20120410) __________

http://www.eset.com

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

The load time is a problem, but I've found the whole program rather
skittish with long documents. Part of this may be a JAWS interaction,
but I have encountered a lot of repetition problems, wherein the program
backs up and reads a passage several times. Worse, Under AR 9 with XP
PRO (here at work) there have been an inordinate number of crashes, some
of which required resorting to Task Manager. I'd like to think the
situation is improving under Win 7.

Ted

There's a spesific pdf doc that I'm trying to read and it's like 1200
pages. As you might know if you choose read entire document jaws
annalizes the entire document and loads it in to the computers ram.
Because of the size of this document it makes adobe reader crash
every time. The other option is to read currently visible pages only,
my question is, when reading currently visible pages only, can you
still get adobe reader to go to the next page automatically and get
jaws to annalize the pages as you go to the next one?

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

The same would probably apply when reading directly from AR. It's
awkward, and provides very little control, but I'll bet it would be
reasonably stable, if you have a voice you can stand. Windows 7 has a
lady who's worlds better than Microsoft Sam, and Any SAPI 5 ought to
work.

Ted

wrote:
Soronel.

Hard to get my head around that much RAM, but so be it.

Looks like it's either how Acrobat handles the memory management, or
how JAWS is interacting with same. I'd wonder if there's someone you
can turn to who can observe the on-screen activity with the same large
document, and JAWS unloaded? Does JAWS cause the slowdown, or is it
inherent in Acrobat/Adobe?

Dave Carlson
Tastefully composed and transmitted from somewhere in the Western
United States, using a Dell Latitude E6520 and Windows 7