From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Brandon Keith Biggs
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2012 11:47 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Ghost Mouse

Hello,
I’m wondering if anyone knows what’s going on:
I disabled the tapping feature on my mouse pad so sighted people could use the mouse with the buttons. I know it’s disabled because when I tap it or move my fingers along it nothing happens except for the mouse to move.
I’m still having the same problem I had when the mouse was enabled. At random times I’m jumped to different windows, I’m moved to different places in a document or email at random times and sometimes when I’m typing a random bunch of text will be selected and deleted when I keep on typing.
Other people who have tested on my computer haven’t had this problem, so I’m wondering if there is a way to find if there are some touch pads that aren’t obvious that my hand position brushes? I don’t see anything except maybe around the mouse pad or keys. There are lights around my spacebar and mouse pad.
I’m running Windows 7 with Jaws 11. This jumping happens at random times and in any application.
Thank you,

Brandon Keith Biggs

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello yu most likely should disable the mouse,
And if you need mouse, use
A usb mouse.
Try typing,
Mouse in the start menu edit box,
Now enter on the first entrie,
Which is simply mouse,
Now shift+tab=buttons tab,
Now right arrow until you hear;
Device tab,
Now tab and make your changes,
And then tab okay enter.

You can give them a USB mouse and disable the mousePad in the device manager.
John

[...]

Dave...

If this is a Dell laptop, then there is both a pad and a touchstick. both
need to be disabled. As suggested, for mouse work, just connect a simple USB
mouse for that.

Touchstick is located between G, H, V, and N.

Dave Carlson

[...]

Brandon Keith Biggs <brandonboy13@...>

Hello,
I disabled the touchpad and it still is jumping around. I don't think it is the mouse...
Thank you,

Brandon Keith Biggs

[...]

there is no touch stick I can feel, this is an HP laptop.
Thank you,

Brandon Keith Biggs

[...]

Yes, I don't know HP laptops, but in my case, the touchstick is not really a
stick, but a round button fairly flush with the surrounding keys. It's not
always obvious, so make sure to hunt for one, just in case.

Dave Carlson

[...]

I felt down and around every single key on my keyboard and I didn't feel anything other than plastic key and the little space between.
I also don't see anything for a touch stick in my mouse settings.
I wonder if it's faulty drivers?
Thank you,

Brandon Keith Biggs

[...]

No, if you have disabled both your mouse pad and the buttons, you should not
be having any erratic movement of the cursor. Were you able to find those
places to disable the mouse, as earlier directed?

If those steps did not work, then you may need to have someone help you
disable the mouse in the System BIOS itself. It may not be manageable via
standard drivers, if it's an embedded part of your laptop.

I had to do that on my older Dell -- use the BIOS to completely disable both
the touchpad and touchstick.

Fortunately on this newer Dell there is an Fn key that disables/enables the
mouse and touchstick -- very cool. In my case it's Fn key plus F5.

Dave Carlson

[...]

My mouse pad is disabled, I am tapping and banging a Tyco routine on the touchpad and nothing's happening.
Unless there is a special movement that activates the clicker I'm not doing... I'm trying the Kentucky slide and it's not clicking either.
But it's still jumping up to random spots while I'm typing.
Thank you,

Brandon Keith Biggs

[...]

Hello there;
Ummm, well, it sounds like your mouse is not disabled,
Otherwise, you wouldn't experience the jumping around as you describe.
Check out:

http://techtips.salon.com/disable-touchpad-hp-laptop-1481.html

[...]

Do you perhaps have a roller ball, or a track ball, or a slider bar that you
don't know about? Can't imagine what's moving the cursor, unless you have
something loose inside.

Dave Carlson

[...]

David,

Very cool. Had no idea that some touchpads had that on/off feature.

I might try that with my wife's Dell Latitude D620, which does not have the
Fn+F5 capability.

Dave Carlson

[...]

The touchpad can be disabled with a convenient off switch.

In the bottom-center of your HP laptop is what is called a "touchpad." The touchpad works similarly to a mouse, except you drag your finger across the pad,
instead of physically moving a mouse. If you have ever been typing and your cursor moved to an entirely different area of the screen, then the touchpad
may be the culprit. All it takes is a quick brush of your palm to accidentally click your mouse somewhere on the screen, which moves you cursor there.
However, to prevent this, HP has integrated an easy-off method to disable the touchpad.

On/Off Switch

Some HP laptops contain a convenient on/off switch located around the touchpad. This button works as a toggle switch to temporarily turn the touchpad off
when you are typing. Examine the area around your touchpad closely and look for this small on/off switch. Press this button once to turn the touchpad off;
press it again to turn it back on. Not all models will have this button.

Internet Touchpad Button

If your HP laptop doesn't have an obvious button, it could be hidden inside the touchpad itself. To turn off the touchpad, touch and hold your finger on
the top-left corner of your HP touchpad for five seconds. The touchpad will turn off and a small light will illuminate, so you know it is indeed off. Touch
and hold the top-left corner again for five seconds to turn the touchpad back on, which extinguishes the light.

Device Properties

Like most hardware, you can disable the touchpad through Windows' device properties. Effectively, you are disabling the drivers, which allow the hardware
to interact with the operating system. The device properties are available through the "Control Panel." To turn the touchpad off, click "Start" and then
"Control Panel." Double-click the "Mouse" settings. Click the "Device Settings" tab, and click "Disable" to disable the touchpad. You can select "Enable"
to use it again.

Uninstall the Drivers

To disable the touchpad permanently, you can uninstall the drivers for it through "Device Manager." Like other software, when you uninstall drivers, it
ceases to function. Since the drivers allow the touchpad to interact with the operating system, the touchpad will be disabled completely once the drivers
are uninstalled. Click "Start," type "Device Manager" (without quotes) in the search bar and press "Enter." Click the arrow next to "Mice and other pointing
devices." Right-click on the touchpad listing and click "Uninstall."

[...]

I first tried using the on off button, but not only did I still have this ghost mouse action with the touchpad off, but each time my laptop went into standby the button would default to on. I checked the box that said "Disable tapping" in in the touchpad settings of the touchpad. That got rid of the mouse defaulting to on while still allowing sighted people to click things. I still am having the same problem of the ghost though.
I might need to uninstall the drivers then see what happens. It might not even be the touch pad...
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs

[...]

Well, I think the situation is,
Yes you check the box;
checked the box that said "Disable tapping"
however I think if you want to disable, then you'll need to disable in the device manager,
or, go into the
start menu edit box,
type mouse,
enter on mouse,
shift+tab right arrow to devices and disable there.

If you need the mouse for some reason,
Then?
You could turn it on.
Do you see,
Synaptics Pointing Device
In your system tray?

[...]

So with a little more use with this Ghost Mouse, I've found often times after not touching the mouse pad for a while If I touch it, there is a ctrl lock that comes on.
I'm not sure how this moves my pointer, except if there is a ctrl letter combination that moves you around the screen.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs

[...]

Brandon,

How does this control lock announce itself? Never heard of it.

Dave Carlson

[...]

It doesn't. I've just been hitting buttons and all of a sudden it will manifest. The way I found it was control was that I was altabbing when it began and it started saying ctrl alt tab.
Sometimes I guess it will just do ctrl for a little while, one character press, and other times it will be a lock I have to cancel by holding down control for 10 seconds.
I have my mouse pad disabled, so idk what's going on.
Windows 7 on an HP laptop running Jaws 11. I don't see the sanaptics pointing device in my system tray.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs

[...]

You're experiencing the famous key sticking problem that's been part of JAWS
since version 3.5. I don't know how or why the Ctrl key sticking is making
your mouse cursor move, but any of the modifier keys (shift, Windows, Alt,
Ctrl) can be programmatically "stuck" in the keyboard buffer and alter all
subsequent keystrokes.

The resolution when it happens (and for me it happens every few days) is to
rapidly tap both keys in sequence several times, left/right/left/right etc.
I do this for Shift, Alt, Ctrl, and Windows. Then Escape to clear out
anything partially opened.

It usually fixes the problem.

Sounds like you do the same thing by holding down the Ctrl key, but either
key of the pairs can be the culprit.

Thanks for giving us the additional details on your "Ghost Mouse".

Dave Carlson