screen resolution

Rob <musicmaker365@...>

What screen resolution should I use with jaws and windows 7?

--

Thanks,
Rob

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

It depends on the size of your monitor. Here are some common ones.

Monitor size

Recommended resolution (in pixels)

19-inch standard ratio LCD monitor
1280 × 1024

20-inch standard ratio LCD monitor
1600 × 1200

20- and 22-inch widescreen LCD monitors
1680 × 1050

24-inch widescreen LCD monitor
1920 × 1200

Laptop screen size
Recommended resolution (in pixels)

13- to 15-inch standard ratio laptop screen
1400 × 1050

13- to 15-inch widescreen laptop screen
1280 × 800

17-inch widescreen laptop screen
1680 × 1050

Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6917 (20120226) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6917 (20120226) __________

http://www.eset.com

Mike & Barbara <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Bill,

Are these recommended resolution settings by Freedom Scientific? It seems
like whenever I've asked FS for recommended resolution settings the response
is, play around & use the resolution that works best for you. Well, I
haven't had a resolution that works consistently except for the standard
1024 by 768. Have you used these settings & if so, how did they work for
you? I'm just trying to get some feedback on the different settings, not
challenge the settings you have provided. All feedback / information on
this topic will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much, take care.
Mike

> What screen resolution should I use with jaws and windows 7?
>
> --
>

> Thanks,
> Rob
> You can leave me a voice mail or fax at
> 206-426-3505
> "God is good all the time, & All the time God is good"

> signature database 6917 (20120226) __________

> http://www.eset.com

signature database 6917 (20120226) __________

http://www.eset.com

epierce@...

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the excellent list.

Are those generic recommendations (including sighted users), or are they specific to people using JAWS?

I've seen manufacturers provide monitor drivers that run at "preferred" resolutions (laptop screen drivers can be particularly aggressive in insisting on running at their "native" optimal resolution).

It may just be "lore" in the accessible tech community, but I heard a consultant say that if one is having problems with JAWS, that changing to a "standard" monitor resolution, or even using a monitor that has its "native" resolution at 1280x1024 is "better".

Do you know if FS has any useful documentation on this issue?

It depends on the size of your monitor. Here are some common ones.

Monitor size

Recommended resolution (in pixels)

19-inch standard ratio LCD monitor
1280 × 1024

Soronel Haetir

For what it's worth, I have a larger monitor than any of those
recommendations but have still always had trouble when I try going
above 1600x1200.

On 2/26/12, epierce@surewest.net <epierce@surewest.net> wrote:
[...]

soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Dave...

Screen resolution is no longer an issue, as was with older versions of JAWS.
Let your screen use the recommended resolution.\

Dave Carlson

What screen resolution should I use with jaws and windows 7?

--

Thanks,
Rob
You can leave me a voice mail or fax at
206-426-3505
"God is good all the time, & All the time God is good"

Dave...

I'm running with 1920 x 1080 on my laptop , Windows 7 and JAWS 13 with no
problems associated with the screen. It's the recommended setting for my
laptop. Again FS says that screen resolution is no longer an issue with
later versions of JAWS.

Dave Carlson

It depends on the size of your monitor. Here are some common ones.

Monitor size

Recommended resolution (in pixels)

19-inch standard ratio LCD monitor
1280 × 1024

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir

My problems are that if I try running at the screen's native
resolution (2560x1600) many programs return garbled text where in
normal resolutions the text is extracted fine. With older versions
of jaws I had even worse issues trying to run at higher resolutions,
massive memory leaks mainly but that does appear to have been
resolved.

On 2/26/12, Farfar in the Sawdust <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
I'm running with 1920 x 1080 on my laptop , Windows 7 and JAWS 13 with no
problems associated with the screen. It's the recommended setting for my
laptop. Again FS says that screen resolution is no longer an issue with
later versions of JAWS.

Dave Carlson

It depends on the size of your monitor. Here are some common ones.

Monitor size

Recommended resolution (in pixels)

19-inch standard ratio LCD monitor
1280 × 1024

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Dave...

Soronel,

Then FS is lying, or don't know what they are saying?

Dave Carlson

It depends on the size of your monitor. Here are some common ones.

Monitor size

Recommended resolution (in pixels)

19-inch standard ratio LCD monitor
1280 × 1024

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello there;
I also have a client whose running a very high resolution,
And using a high contrast theme,
Jaws, stutters, and and gets stuck on certain letters,
Example,
L l l l l l l l
Fs doesn't seem to have an answer for this.
Well, I lowered the resolution, well, routing jaws to pc now reads,
But jaws still get stuck,
We've done a repair,
A re-install,
Not sure what to do next.

Then FS is lying, or don't know what they are saying?

Dave Carlson

It depends on the size of your monitor. Here are some common ones.

Monitor size

Recommended resolution (in pixels)

19-inch standard ratio LCD monitor
1280 × 1024

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Douglas C. DeCamp

I had a similar problem a while back when I got a newer larger monitor.
Discussed with Freedom Scientific and had to delete all JAWS components on
my system related to the video funtion and then execute a JAWS repair. Bit
of a pain, but it solved the problem.

My problems are that if I try running at the screen's native resolution
(2560x1600) many programs return garbled text where in normal resolutions
the text is extracted fine. With older versions of jaws I had even worse
issues trying to run at higher resolutions, massive memory leaks mainly but
that does appear to have been resolved.

On 2/26/12, Farfar in the Sawdust <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
I'm running with 1920 x 1080 on my laptop , Windows 7 and JAWS 13 with
no problems associated with the screen. It's the recommended setting
for my laptop. Again FS says that screen resolution is no longer an
issue with later versions of JAWS.

Dave Carlson
Tastefully composed and transmitted from somewhere in the Western
United States, using a Dell Latitude E6520 and Windows 7

It depends on the size of your monitor. Here are some common ones.

Monitor size

Recommended resolution (in pixels)

19-inch standard ratio LCD monitor
1280 × 1024

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir

I suspect don't know. And honestly it's a low enough priority item
that I'm not real concerned by it.

On 2/26/12, Farfar on the Run <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Soronel,

Then FS is lying, or don't know what they are saying?

Dave Carlson

It depends on the size of your monitor. Here are some common ones.

Monitor size

Recommended resolution (in pixels)

19-inch standard ratio LCD monitor
1280 × 1024

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Only resolution problem I've had lately occurred when the machine reset itself to about 20% of normal. JAWS got a little weird, until I realized what was happening.

Ted

It depends on the size of your monitor. Here are some common ones.

Monitor size

Recommended resolution (in pixels)

19-inch standard ratio LCD monitor
1280 × 1024

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

The list I gave you are standard resolutions, not specific to JAWS users, and I haven't seen any documentation by FS on this issue since the days of CRT monitors, which is what I still have, by the way.

Thank you.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

It depends on the size of your monitor. Here are some common ones.

Monitor size

Recommended resolution (in pixels)

19-inch standard ratio LCD monitor
1280 × 1024

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6917 (20120226) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6917 (20120226) __________

http://www.eset.com

Richard Holloway

Just for the point of clarity with monitor size, it should be understood that the actual physical size of a monitor is not the issue. It is the resolution in pixels. If you make up a square with 10 dots in each direction spaced an inch apart as opposed to with half an inch spacing, the two squares are entirely different physical sizes (one is twice as tall and wide and 4 times the area) but they are the same size in pixels. If you're a braille reader and have ever run across the extra-large braille that is sometimes used to try and make it easier for people with limited finger sensitivity to read braille, it is like that in a way; same dot arrangement with different sized spacing.

So it is with monitors. Bigger often means higher resolution (closer pixel spacing and generally more pixels), but not always.

If you're dealing with CRT's (big, heavy old-style glass monitors), especially very old ones, as in early 90"s and back often only had one sync frequency and therefore one fixed resolution. Not to get to technical, but CRT's only have the image being redrawn at one point on the monitor at any given instant in time, so the image is drawn left to right, top to bottom, very quickly, and as you might guess, you have to get the timing of the information signal to the monitor timed just right to match up with the internal timing of the monitor's components, so this used to be a really big deal.

This became a hassle, so "multi-sync" monitors were developed that could sync on multiple timings, or frequencies. Still, sometimes a projection screen or large CRT is operated at a lower resolution and just blown up to look large on a screen, like to show a movie or a powerpoint presentation to a group, for example.

When you hear the term VGA, it can mean the connector style of a monitor, but it can also mean 640 x 480 pixel resolution. There are a number of similar terms-- VGA, CGA, EGA, SVGA, XGA (and there are many more). They all relate to screen resolutions, but the main point I am wanting to make is that just going to a larger or smaller monitor won't automatically change monitor resolutions at all (especially a moderate change like 16 to 17, or even 17, to 19, and when it does make a change, it may not change the way you'd guess.

Especially for older equipment, you need to check the specific monitor (and video card) you're dealing with to determine what resolutions will work. If newer JAWS doesn't care (as I have read) that's great, but if your JAWS needs a specific resolution, you'll want to confirm what it needs before you try and marry it to a particular computer setup. Generally speaking, the newer the gear, the less this will be an issue, and flat screens will usually support a wide variety of resolutions, but assuming things will have a particular resolution can cause problems.

Richard

----- Original Message ----- From: <epierce@surewest.net>

It depends on the size of your monitor. Here are some common ones.

Monitor size

Recommended resolution (in pixels)

19-inch standard ratio LCD monitor
1280 × 1024

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6917 (20120226) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6917 (20120226) __________

http://www.eset.com

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello there;

Speaking of screen resolution,
I found something interesting on one of my clients computer today.

I went into the device manager,
Display drivers,
And I found 3 instances of the freedom scientific mirror drivers.
Well, I deleted 2, and, just like that,
All the stuttering, disappeared.
I set her screen resolution to 50%
And crossing my fingers, all will go well.
Why would there be 3 copies of the mirror drivers?

It depends on the size of your monitor. Here are some common ones.

Monitor size

Recommended resolution (in pixels)

19-inch standard ratio LCD monitor
1280 × 1024

database 6917 (20120226) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 6917 (20120226) __________

http://www.eset.com

Soronel Haetir

Interesting, I just checked and I too have three instances of the
mirror driver. However since I don't experience stuttering under
normal use I am somewhat leery of just deleting a couple of them. All
three say this device is working properly.

On 2/27/12, David <davidwhitehead1957@cogeco.ca> wrote:
[...]

Well, if it's not broke, don't fix it,
However,
Having 3 FSMirror drivers I don't think this is normal.
My clients computer was a mess,
It simply got stuck on certain letters, and just wouldn't stop.

It just kept reading,
Quote, quote, quote,
And slash, slash, slash,
And many other letters.

Hopefully,
I hit the jack pot,
She's using the high contrast black theme,
And so far, everythinhg is working.

It depends on the size of your monitor. Here are some common ones.

Monitor size

Recommended resolution (in pixels)

19-inch standard ratio LCD monitor
1280 × 1024

signature

database 6917 (20120226) __________

http://www.eset.com

signature
database 6917 (20120226) __________

http://www.eset.com

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Gary King

David,
What makes it even more interesting is when I checked the dates and version numbers of the 3 FS mirror drivers on my computer, they were exactly the same. I thought they might be 3 different versions from other versions of JFW, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I suppose the installation program could install another copy of the driver each time you do an installation of JFW, but I don't really see why it would. This might be a good question for FS Tech Support. I wonder if they would know the answer!

Gary King
w4wkz@bellsouth.net

It depends on the size of your monitor. Here are some common ones.

Monitor size

Recommended resolution (in pixels)

19-inch standard ratio LCD monitor
1280 × 1024

database 6917 (20120226) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 6917 (20120226) __________

http://www.eset.com

Douglas C. DeCamp

As I noted earlier when I had trouble with my Windows 7 Jaws 13 not working
right after I installed a new monitor, FS had me check those Mirror Drivers.
I had four of them. They had me delete all four and repair JAWS.
Everything worked perfectly after that. At the time I believe he indicated
there should not be more than two.