Creating an Outline in Word

Robbie Curtis <essence64@...>

Thanks Jean.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean Menzies <jemenzies@shaw.ca>
Sent: Feb 22, 2012 6:29 PM
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Subject: Re: Creating an Outline in Word

Rob,

I would be very careful in editing your built-in styles unless you really
understand how to manipulate styles and templates.

Are you wanting to create an outline with a hierarchy such as I 1. i 1)
etc.? Sorry but I don't know the correct outline order off the top of my
head. If you do, then you simply choose numbered outline style on the format
menu.

The following refers to Word 2003, but the concepts are the same.

Taken from
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/create-an-outline-numbered-list-HP005186044.aspx

Create an outline numbered list

Applies to:
Microsoft Office Word 2003

Print
Show All Show All

An
outline numbered list
shows list items at different levels rather than indented at one level.

Outline numbered list

list of 2 items
1. On the Format menu, click Bullets and Numbering, and then click the
Outline Numbered tab.
2. Click a list format that does not contain the text "Heading", and then
click
OK.
list end

The first number of the list is displayed in the document.

list of 1 items
3. Type the list text, pressing ENTER after each item.
list end

Subsequent numbers are automatically inserted at the beginning of each line
at the same numbering level.

list of 1 items
4. To move an outline numbered item to the appropriate numbering level, do
one of the following on the Formatting
toolbar :
list of 2 items nesting level 1
. To demote the item to a lower numbering level, click a list number, and
click Increase Indent
Button image
.
. To promote the item to a higher numbering level, click a list number, and
click Decrease Indent
Button image
.
list end nesting level 1