Creating an Outline in Word

Robbie Curtis <essence64@...>

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Marquette, Ed" <Ed.Marquette@KutakRock.com>
Sent: Feb 22, 2012 6:04 PM
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Subject: RE: Creating an Outline in Word

Guys:
Here is a suggestion.
Type your heading first
To apply the style, you can go to the styles list or press Alt 1 for heading 1 (Note, you may have to hit bypass first, Insert plus 3).
Now, if your headings aren't set up for outline numbering, you may need to modify the styles.
If you do outlines lots, you can create a template file, calling it outline. at (it may be datx in Word 2007 or 2010. Actually, you can use your soon-to-be created outline as a template. Just delete the text first, leaving only a couple of carriage returns. The styles will stick.
To modify the styles, get into the format/styles ribbon/menu.
Right click with the mouse on modify.
Then, open the format menu. You can format your heading any way you like, e.g., bold, italics, solid capitals, or whatever.
If you go down the list, you will find numbering as an option. Be sure to choose "outline." Then, double-check to be sure that, for example, level 1 is an I.. Repeat the same for heading level 2.
Once you've finished as far down as you like (you can go to heading 9), you are ready. You may want to close the "styles" area. Go to view and uncheck "task pane."
Now you are ready.
Type your heading 1. Then, apply heading 1. The style should apply the appropriate heading number and apply the appropriate font and attribute. The fonts and attributes will last until a carriage return.
It takes a little playing around at first, but thereafter, it is a breeze.
For instance, I use styles every single day for every single document, and I do scores of documents a week, mostly complex legal agreements.