Jaws acting very strange!

Brandon Keith Biggs <brandonboy13@...>

Hello,
I’m using Jaws 11 on a Windows 7 64 bit computer:
First when I’m typing in an edit box like the subject line of an email Jaws only says “Space” when I backspace. Does this have to do with my graphics being too high?
Also when I ctrl arrow or alt-tab, sometimes the previous window or word is read over the current window or word for example the words are:
the man ran.
Jaws says:
The man man.

On Google when I’m in the search box I tab twice and the curser goes over “Advertising Programs” and Jaws says: “I’m feeling lucky visited link” This happens when Jaws automatically ends up in the edit field when the Google page opens.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,

Brandon Keith Biggs

epierce@...

Not surprising, I've seen similar weird symptoms with Jaws11 and Win7 64 bit and web browsers (IE8 and Firefox 3.x).

Those symptoms appeared from the beginning, and were reported to get worse over several weeks/months. We were advised to switch from a "wide screen" monitor to one that supports standard screen resolutions (perhaps 1280x1024?).

Change you change to a more "standard" resolution for testing purposes?

fyi, don't know if it just "lore", or is valid, but I was told that Jaws should always be installed last if software is being installed from scratch (e.g. when a computer is being prepared to be "re-imaged").

Did you recently update hardware drivers or change video card/ monitor?

Did you recently install software updates from Microsoft? ("Patch tuesday")

Are you using a 32 bit or 64 bit browser?

Are you using both 32 and 64 bit Java?

Is Microsoft Office installed? If so, which version?

Have you looked into upgrading to Jaws13?

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:29:17 -0800
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com (on behalf of "Brandon Keith Biggs" <brandonboy13@comcast.net>)
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>

Hello,
I’m using Jaws 11 on a Windows 7 64 bit computer:

epierce@...

Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) by default is 32 bit, you have to hunt around in the Windows start menu to get to the 64 bit version of IE, so you are probably not using it.

Jaws11 just plain does not work well with Windows 7 64 bit on some systems.

You only hope is probably to wait to upgrade to Jaws13. Sorry!

You may wish to consider re-installing Jaws11 as a last resort, but that is not very likely to solve any problem.

In general there are few, if any, performance benefits from using 64 bit applications in and of themselves. The main benefit to 64 bit, given the current Microsoft architecture, is that you can use more than 4GB of RAM (memory). This is useful if you certain resource-intensive applications, such as graphics programs, database applications, etc., or are a developer.

Please note that the "Home Basic" version of Windows 7 64 bit only supports up to 8GB RAM, to use more you need "Home Premium" or to go over 16GB, any of "Professional", "Ultimate", or "Enterprise" versions.

I've not installed anything from windows recently. I'm on a laptop and I'm
not quite sure how to change resolution. I'm not sure if I have IE for 32 or
64 bit, didn't know there was more than one although if it did ask me I
would've chosen 64.
I'm trying to get Jaws 13, but it's probably not going to be for a while.
This laptop is new as of Christmas and I haven't changed the hardware at
all.

Brandon Keith Biggs <brandonboy13@...>

Hello,
My computer came with IE9 installed as default so I had to reinstall IE8 to work with Jaws 11. I'm not having any problem except with the I'm feeling lucky button.
The more annoying problems are with the alt tabbing and the ctrl arrow keys and the subject line and contact fields.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs

I've not installed anything from windows recently. I'm on a laptop and I'm
not quite sure how to change resolution. I'm not sure if I have IE for 32 or
64 bit, didn't know there was more than one although if it did ask me I
would've chosen 64.
I'm trying to get Jaws 13, but it's probably not going to be for a while.
This laptop is new as of Christmas and I haven't changed the hardware at
all.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Brandon. Have you tried maximizing the window when in Internet Explorer to see if it treats the buttons in a more normal way?

Thank you.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6895 (20120218) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6895 (20120218) __________

http://www.eset.com

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello there;
Many folks are having issues with google page,
You may want to try;

www.startingpage.com

this is a good alternative search engine.

I've not installed anything from windows recently. I'm on a laptop and I'm
not quite sure how to change resolution. I'm not sure if I have IE for 32
or
64 bit, didn't know there was more than one although if it did ask me I
would've chosen 64.
I'm trying to get Jaws 13, but it's probably not going to be for a while.
This laptop is new as of Christmas and I haven't changed the hardware at
all.

David Hardingham

HI all,

I did use scroogle scrapper until they disappeared.

I tried setting up the web site listed in the post from David but cannot seem to get to stick.

There is a link for making the site my homepage and I did what it said but no luck.

When I go to i.e. 8 it says page cannot be found.

Thanks,

David