From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Cindy Handel
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 7:20 AM
To: JFW
Subject: Repairing JAWS 13

I was trying to download the newest update to JAWS 13 on my net book
computer. It seemed to be taking a very long time, and then it said it
couldn't complete the update. It suggested I do a repair of JAWS 13 and try
again. How do I repair JAWS 13?

Cindy
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello Cindy;
Go to the web site and download the latest jaws update version.
Then do an install,
Hopefully everything will work as it's suppose to.

I was trying to download the newest update to JAWS 13 on my net book
computer. It seemed to be taking a very long time, and then it said it
couldn't complete the update. It suggested I do a repair of JAWS 13 and try

again. How do I repair JAWS 13?

Cindy
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Dondi

Hi Cindy,

This is what I got from Freedom Scientific just last Wednesday. They
originally wanted me to do a repair of JAWS by starting up the JAWS install
program and when it came to a choice of repair, install or remove I was
suppose to choose repair. But I never got to this option of a repair the
install program would say I needed to uninstall the previous version of
JAWS.

It turns out when I installed JAWS 13 from the DVD and I went ahead and did
a update through JAWS it was the wrong thing to do. They said never do the
auto up date always down load the full install from their web site remove
JAWS and install from scratch. It appears when JAWS does a update only some
files are updated and not all.

Dondi

I was trying to download the newest update to JAWS 13 on my net book
computer. It seemed to be taking a very long time, and then it said it
couldn't complete the update. It suggested I do a repair of JAWS 13 and try

again. How do I repair JAWS 13?

Cindy
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

a search at freedomscientific.com for the phrase "repair jaws" got me this:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_support/BulletinView.asp?QC=1057

Alternatively, you can go into Jaws Help, Getting Started with Jaws, and hit enter on Maintenance Setup.
Chris

At 07:20 AM 2/13/2012, you wrote:
I was trying to download the newest update to JAWS 13 on my net book computer. It seemed to be taking a very long time, and then it said it couldn't complete the update. It suggested I do a repair of JAWS 13 and try again. How do I repair JAWS 13?

Cindy
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

Yep, go to
http://www.freedomscientific.com/downloads/jaws/JAWS-whats-new.asp

and find the heading "download Jaws 13".

Chris
http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

rixmix2009@...

I have installed the JAWS update on a desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate without incident.

But when installing the update on my Netbook running Windows XP, I did encounter something different.
I was using the update through JAWS feature.
And when it came to the certain downloading point, my antivirus program, the latest AVG 2012, hung up, suspecting the JAWS executable file was a threat.
After a moment or 2 of o dear me, I went ahead and said to Allow.

Seemingly, the update worked with no other problem and the perceived threat was of no consequence.

BTW, on the desktop running Windows 7, I am using Microsoft Security Essentials.

But I wonder if anyone else had this.
Or if my trusting ways could have hurt me.

Thanks.
Rik

At 07:20 AM 2/13/2012, you wrote:
I was trying to download the newest update to JAWS 13 on my net book computer. It seemed to be taking a very long time, and then it said it couldn't complete the update. It suggested I do a repair of JAWS 13 and try again. How do I repair JAWS 13?

Cindy
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello there;
Here's another way you could perform a jaws repair.

1. Place a copy of the Jaws executible version that you want to repair into
the main root of the " C " drive.
For example;
If you are running Jaws13 most recent you would paste a copy of "
J13.0.718-32bit.exe " into the main root of the " C " drive.

2. With the Jaws " .exe " pasted into the "C" drive, highlight the " .exe ",
and press F2 as if you were going to edit this line of text. now press
control+C=copy to copy this Jaws executible, press escape to close the edit
field, and press Alt + F4 to close the C drive.
What you want to do is place just the title of the Jaws version into the
Windows Run Dialogue box and not the file. If you were to place the Jaws
executible into the Run box without copying as you did as per the
instructions above you would have pasted the whole file into the Run Box
instead of just the title.
3. Now that you have just the title copied to the clipboard, press
Windows-key+R=run to open the Run Dialogue Box. Type, remember to type a
capitalC ,"
C:\ " without the quotes or
spaces and press control + V to paste the Jaws title, press your end key to
take the cursor to the end of the title and type in the following " /type
repair" without the quotes but, with the spaces . Below is what your line
of text should look / read like.

C:\J13.0.718-32bit.exe /type repair

Read character by character to make sure you have put in the proper spaces,
Forward & back slashes and text. press the home key to go to the front of
the title and press enter to start the repair.

I was trying to download the newest update to JAWS 13 on my net book
computer. It seemed to be taking a very long time, and then it said it
couldn't complete the update. It suggested I do a repair of JAWS 13 and try

again. How do I repair JAWS 13?

Cindy
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Adrian Spratt

David,

As always, both helpful and interesting. I wonder if virtualizing the window
with the file's name would be a slightly easier, or more familiar, way to
copy the name, as opposed to the file, into the run window.

Thus, locate the file and press JAWS key+alt+w.

I just went through this procedure. The one drawback is that when I
virtualized the window, JAWS didn't land me right back at the filename I
wanted. Instead, it took me to the top of the list and I had to arrow around
a little to find it again. Once I did, I could take the usual steps to
select and copy.

Here's another way you could perform a jaws repair.

1. Place a copy of the Jaws executible version that you want to repair into
the main root of the " C " drive.
For example;
If you are running Jaws13 most recent you would paste a copy of "
J13.0.718-32bit.exe " into the main root of the " C " drive.

2. With the Jaws " .exe " pasted into the "C" drive, highlight the " .exe ",
and press F2 as if you were going to edit this line of text. now press
control+C=copy to copy this Jaws executible, press escape to close the
control+edit
field, and press Alt + F4 to close the C drive.
What you want to do is place just the title of the Jaws version into the
Windows Run Dialogue box and not the file. If you were to place the Jaws
executible into the Run box without copying as you did as per the
instructions above you would have pasted the whole file into the Run Box
instead of just the title.
3. Now that you have just the title copied to the clipboard, press
Windows-key+R=run to open the Run Dialogue Box. Type, remember to type
Windows-key+a
[...]

dave grossoehme

Rick I also use MSE and had no problem installing the newest update of Jaws13. As I recall it's has been said that you might have to shut down a program like AVG. Good luck.
Your Friend Dave

At 07:20 AM 2/13/2012, you wrote:
I was trying to download the newest update to JAWS 13 on my net book computer. It seemed to be taking a very long time, and then it said it couldn't complete the update. It suggested I do a repair of JAWS 13 and try again. How do I repair JAWS 13?

Cindy
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Tom Lange

Hi,
I ran across something similar when attempting to install Jaws 13 build 718 on a Dell Vostro laptop today. Avast antivirus thought that one of the JAWS components was a threat and stopped the installation dead in its tracks. Worse still, JAWS did not report that an Avast dialog had popped up, and it took some messing around with the JAWS cursor to detect the dialog and find out what had hung the install. However, once I told Avast to ignore the possible threat, installation continued without a hitch and was finished in a matter of seconds. I guess it pays to shut down some antivirus programs before installing if there's any possibility that things like this can happen. BTW, I've never had issues like that while running NOD32 antivirus or Microsoft Securitty Essentials.

Tom