Message to Freedom Scientific w/r ResearchIt

Dave...

JFW Listers,

I sent this out to the address

suggestions@freedomscientific.com

I wanted to let them know how I felt about ResearchIt and the way they were
implementing fixes to it. If you feel so inclined to send them similar
suggestions, I think they need a little adjustment to their strategy.

My message:

I was momentarily using my copy of JAWS 12 and went to use ResearchIt. It
occurred to me that when using a backdated copy of JAWS, some of the
ResearchIt fixes carried in later updates were not there.

Since ResearchIt is so impacted by underlying web sites to work properly, it
is by nature something that will need to be updated and patched
frequently -- quite similar to the scripts we all use in JAWS.

So my question/suggestion is this: For the benefit of those who are not
current, and in keeping with the capability of scripts to be updated
irrespective of the version being used, why aren't ResearchIt patches
released separately so that they can be applied to any version of JAWS that
shipped with ResearchIt? That seems to make sense from two perspectives:

1. Customers are not forced to be stuck with a non-functioning ResearchIt
when their only recourse is to pay for an update to a newer major version,
and
2. Freedom Scientific need not roll out an update simply due to a need to
patch ResearchIt, thus allowing separate development of patches to follow
their own release schedule.

Please give this some consideration.

Dave Carlson
Sent from somewhere in the Western United States, using a Dell Latitude
E6520 and Windows 7

Tom Lange

Hi,
Good one. Makes sense to me.

Tom

[...]

northstar1950@...

actually, research-it should be completely removed from jaws in my openion because of the fact you mentioned. i never use it and is really taking up precious time by the programmers fixing something that will never be stable and should use that time in fixing real bugs in the screen reader portion of the software. my two centws worth and this isn't bashing SF just stating the truth.

Legend has it that on Thursday 2/9/2012 10:54 PM, Tom Lange said:
Good one. Makes sense to me.

Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Farfar in the Cube Farm" <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net>
[...]

<http://www.sendspace.com/folder/i7xwg4>Click here to check out my sendspace offerings!

Kimber Gardner

Never having used research it, I was wondering if one of you who uses
it regularly could explain what its advantages are? I'm talking about
when it works properly, how is it better than simply going to your
favorite search engine and doing your inquiry that way?

Not bashing anyone here, but I am genuinely curious.

Kim

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

Hi Kim. It merely saves a few steps. People who don't want to go to a website and look up the same information like it. I can't be bothered myself, since I can easily go to my favorites menu, visit a site, and find what I want to know, usually jumping around by headings or some other attribute.
Chris

At 08:11 AM 2/10/2012, you wrote:
Never having used research it, I was wondering if one of you who uses
it regularly could explain what its advantages are? I'm talking about
when it works properly, how is it better than simply going to your
favorite search engine and doing your inquiry that way?

Not bashing anyone here, but I am genuinely curious.

Kim

http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

john.falter

Research it provides info without ads and much of the clutter found on many web sites.
I use it for instant weather, CNN headlines with the option to link to the article, also BBC and tech news. It also provides a quick link to Wikipedia and Wiktionary.

Never having used research it, I was wondering if one of you who uses
it regularly could explain what its advantages are? I'm talking about
when it works properly, how is it better than simply going to your
favorite search engine and doing your inquiry that way?

Not bashing anyone here, but I am genuinely curious.

Kim

djasister@...

But, it is broken.

Never having used research it, I was wondering if one of you who uses
it regularly could explain what its advantages are? I'm talking about
when it works properly, how is it better than simply going to your
favorite search engine and doing your inquiry that way?

Not bashing anyone here, but I am genuinely curious.

Kim

deadcatbounce <JAWS@...>

Okay, stupid question here. How do you get to ResearchIt in JAWS 13? I'm actually still using 11, although I have 13, but hate it when they come out with new versions and it messes up the way I like to navigate online. As soon as I get used to it they come out with a new version that has spaces where it didn't before and no spaces where before there were some, so it makes it hard to read stuff by using CTRL+downarrrow.

Never having used research it, I was wondering if one of you who uses
it regularly could explain what its advantages are? I'm talking about
when it works properly, how is it better than simply going to your
favorite search engine and doing your inquiry that way?

Not bashing anyone here, but I am genuinely curious.

Kim

Holger Fiallo <holgerfiallo@...>

insert space r. before you press r wait 2 second.

Never having used research it, I was wondering if one of you who uses
it regularly could explain what its advantages are? I'm talking about
when it works properly, how is it better than simply going to your
favorite search engine and doing your inquiry that way?

Not bashing anyone here, but I am genuinely curious.

Kim

djasister@...

When I do that it says something about turning on rstruction.

insert space r. before you press r wait 2 second.

Never having used research it, I was wondering if one of you who uses
it regularly could explain what its advantages are? I'm talking about
when it works properly, how is it better than simply going to your
favorite search engine and doing your inquiry that way?

Not bashing anyone here, but I am genuinely curious.

Kim

northstar1950@...

press insert+spacebar then r.

----- Original Message ----- From: <djasister@windstream.net>
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kimber Gardner" <kimbersinbox1963@gmail.com>
Never having used research it, I was wondering if one of you who uses
it regularly could explain what its advantages are? I'm talking about
when it works properly, how is it better than simply going to your
favorite search engine and doing your inquiry that way?

Not bashing anyone here, but I am genuinely curious.

Kim

<http://www.sendspace.com/folder/i7xwg4>Click here to check out my sendspace offerings!

northstar1950@...

you must first press insert+spacebar then the r. insert plus r is the restricted mode and you first must activate either the jaws or invisible cursor.

-----Original Message----- From: Holger Fiallo
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 2:31 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.

insert space r. before you press r wait 2 second.

-----Original Message----- From: deadcatbounce

Never having used research it, I was wondering if one of you who uses
it regularly could explain what its advantages are? I'm talking about
when it works properly, how is it better than simply going to your
favorite search engine and doing your inquiry that way?

Not bashing anyone here, but I am genuinely curious.

Kim

<http://www.sendspace.com/folder/i7xwg4>Click here to check out my sendspace offerings!

djasister@...

That does restriction.