From: "Chris Smart" <csmart8@cogeco.ca>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 09:04
Subject: [Bulk] Re: Touch computer

not yet. wait until Windows 8 comes out and Freedom Scientific
announces they are supporting it.

At 11:39 AM 1/29/2012, you wrote:
Hello listeners will JFW work with a touch screen computer I am
talking
about JFW13

http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Kelly Ford <kelly@...>

If you are wanting to get an idea of what the current touch hardware is
like, this is a review of one piece of equipment from Samsung--the Samsung
Series 7.

Anyone have a Manufacturer/Model of a "touch screen" computer so we can see
what it's all about?

Dave Carlson
Sent from somewhere in the Western United States, using a Dell Latitude
E6520 and Windows 7

At 11:39 AM 1/29/2012, you wrote:
Hello listeners will JFW work with a touch screen computer I am
talking
about JFW13

http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Charles Coe

Hi,

The Del Inspiron all in one touch screen computer with 23" screen

Del studio 119 all in one desktop computer

Just Google these and you will get all the features and specs.

At 11:39 AM 1/29/2012, you wrote:
Hello listeners will JFW work with a touch screen computer I am
talking
about JFW13

http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Lauren <lotusrising@...>

What kind of a screen reader can you use with a touch computer?

Sincerely,

Lauren

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

At 09:43 AM 1/30/2012, you wrote:
What kind of a screen reader can you use with a touch computer?
VoiceOver on the Mac, if you have an iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch etc.
As far as I know, we can't use touch screens yet on Windows devices, although that is probably coming in Windows 8.

Chris

http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Ron Edwards <facup1927@...>

Hi Lauren.

Why would screen reader users of computers want to faf about with a touch
screen computer??

Ron

At 11:39 AM 1/29/2012, you wrote:
Hello listeners will JFW work with a touch screen computer I am
talking
about JFW13

http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

I don't know, but people with iPhones and iPads and iPod Touch's seem to love them.

At 03:46 AM 2/1/2012, you wrote:
Hi Lauren.

Why would screen reader users of computers want to faf about with a touch
screen computer??

Ron
http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Colleen <herself@...>

Am I the only one getting these messages multiple times? Enough already.
Colleen If you are lucky enough to be Irish, you are lucky enough!

At 03:46 AM 2/1/2012, you wrote:
Hi Lauren.

Why would screen reader users of computers want to faf about with a touch
screen computer??

Ron
http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

I did not send them multiple times. It's some problem with the list.
Chris

At 02:23 PM 2/1/2012, you wrote:
Am I the only one getting these messages multiple times? Enough already.
Colleen If you are lucky enough to be Irish, you are lucky enough!
http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Charles Coe

No, I also have been receiving them.

At 03:46 AM 2/1/2012, you wrote:
Hi Lauren.

Why would screen reader users of computers want to faf about with a
touch screen computer??

Ron
http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Colleen <herself@...>

Okay, sorry I snapped. It's been a rough day.

At 02:23 PM 2/1/2012, you wrote:
Am I the only one getting these messages multiple times? Enough already.
Colleen If you are lucky enough to be Irish, you are lucky enough!
http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Abby Vincent <aevincent@...>

I'm not sure of the difference between a touch computer and a tablet, such
as the I Pad. With the pads, you have internet connectivity and the input
device is your finger. With a conventional desktop computer, the input
device is a keyboard or mouse. The monitor is perpendicular to your real
desktop so a sighted person can look at the screen. This would make using
your finger difficult and tiring. I wonder what Windows eight does about
that. Has anyone seen a demo?
Abby

At 03:46 AM 2/1/2012, you wrote:
Hi Lauren.

Why would screen reader users of computers want to faf about with a
touch screen computer??

Ron

Debbie Kessler

Abbie;
Yes, you are correct, one does use their finger on the computer screen
perpindicularly. I've seen people do it but haven't tried it myself. They
also have a keyboard. I hear one can turn off this touch feature; what I do
not know and wonder about myself is their duol ways of doing something like
either touch or keyboard? I sure don't want to lean over to try and focus on
some place on the screen in order to find where to touch. The touch screen
on an iPad and iPhone is easier because of being able to hold it at the
right angle.
Debbie, Chaz & Jessie
e-mail: jessesgirl@earthlink.net

At 03:46 AM 2/1/2012, you wrote:
Hi Lauren.

Why would screen reader users of computers want to faf about with a
touch screen computer??

Ron

Tom Lange

Hi,
Having messed around with an iPad on a few occasions and my iPhone for nearly ten months now, one thing that I've come to appreciate is knowing exactly how screens are laid out. Screen readers are great tools, but sometimes it's hard to get a clear idea of the spatial relationships between screen elements.

Tom

Holger Fiallo <holgerfiallo@...>

At 03:46 AM 2/1/2012, you wrote:
Hi Lauren.

Why would screen reader users of computers want to faf about with a touch
screen computer??

Ron
http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

I find much help using touch screen in my iPhone. I was sighted for a long time and I can visualize in my mind the screen. I got to be very fast and I am able to point at a specific place and click what I want. This include typing.

Holger Fiallo

Drew Hunthausen

Tom,
Did it take you very long to get used to the touch screen and layout of the
i-phone OS in comparison to a windows based OS? Thanks

At 03:46 AM 2/1/2012, you wrote:
Hi Lauren.

Why would screen reader users of computers want to faf about with a touch
screen computer??

Ron
http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Tom Lange

Hi Drew,
You wrote:

Tom,
Did it take you very long to get used to the touch screen and layout of the
i-phone OS in comparison to a windows based OS? Thanks
Not really. There are a number of things to master, including learning the various gestures and when to use them with the different kinds of controls, and touch typing and editing can be a tricky business. Once you get the hang of those things, life with an IOS device gets much simpler. Regarding typing and editing, sometimes it's just easier for me to connect a bluetooth keyboard or pair the IOS device with my BrailleNote Apex. Those are great combinations, by the way.

One nice aspect of using IOS is that the user interfaces among apps that work well with VoiceOver are fairly consistent in how they operate. I have to qualify all this by saying that even after ten months with the iPhone, I still have a lot to learn, but I'm having fun doing it.

Tom

Drew Hunthausen

Does the iphone respond well to the gestures and commands or does it
sometimes take a while for the phone to recognize what you want to do?
thanks