From: Dondi
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:21 AM
To: JAWS mailing list
Subject: Read and Read

Hello Everybody.

What does everybody do for the word read? When I type the word r e a d my
JAWS13 always pronounces this word in the past tense as r e d. I have gone
so far as adding the word read to the dictionary and told JAWS to pronounce
it as r e e d. But that's very limiting as far as sounding partly right. Is
there a way to use read in both it's present and past meanings.

Dondi

Nickus de Vos <bigboy529@...>

I wondered about this for a long time but just got use to it, funny
how if you type R E A D and press space it says it correctly and also
if you, well read by word with jaws and arrows it's also spoken
correctly.

On 1/19/12, Joni Colver <earlybird@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
I don't know a solution to this. The same problem exists with St. for saint
or street and Dr. for doctor or drive. You can have JAWS pronounce any of
these the same way every time, but that does not solve the problem of which
should be spoken in a particular context. It is just one of those screen
reader quirks we have to tolerate as far as I have been able to determine.

Joni

What does everybody do for the word read? When I type the word r e a d my
JAWS13 always pronounces this word in the past tense as r e d. I have gone
so far as adding the word read to the dictionary and told JAWS to pronounce
it as r e e d. But that's very limiting as far as sounding partly right. Is
there a way to use read in both it's present and past meanings.

Dondi

Soronel Haetir

One note on this, the realspeak voices sometimes get it right.

For instance the realspeak voices I have installed (fairly recent solo
direct if it matters) pronounces "It's time you go read the book"
correctly, but gets "Go read the book" wrong.

On 1/19/12, Nickus de Vos <bigboy529@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Sentence reading can behave differently from line reading. I think
Sentence is the default for Word, and may be the only choice. Another
word to notice is wind-either what one does to a watch, or that which
glows. Sentence mode is slightly better at judging context.

What does everybody do for the word read? When I type the word r e a d
my
JAWS13 always pronounces this word in the past tense as r e d. I have
gone so far as adding the word read to the dictionary and told JAWS to
pronounce it as r e e d. But that's very limiting as far as sounding
partly right. Is there a way to use read in both it's present and past
meanings.

Dondi

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

like many words in english, pronunciation changes depending on context, present past or future tense etc. It's up to your synthesizer to determine how to pronounce these things. Some do it better than others. If you don't like how Eloquence handles these things, try another one.

CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING! Clear True Sound: www.ctsmastering.com --

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Seamlessly share with your friends and colleagues. 2GB account is free! http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

deadcatbounce <JAWS@...>

JAWS pronounces things a lot better than a lot of people I know do, so the occasional flub doesn't really bother me too much.

like many words in english, pronunciation changes depending on context, present past or future tense etc. It's up to your synthesizer to determine how to pronounce these things. Some do it better than others. If you don't like how Eloquence handles these things, try another one.

Kerri <kootenaycreek@...>

I personally find the Helloquence does it really well but I use my Braille display mostly so don't have this issue.

Sent from my iPhone

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Smart" <csmart8@cogeco.ca>