Firefox Question

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I have a question about something I have noticed since the last firefox update to Firefox 47.0.

It used to be that when I clicked on a link to a file that was included in an e-mail, Firefox would go directly to the involved file, and I could read the contents of the file right there in the Firefox  browser.

Now, whenever I click on such a file, the file automatically gets placed in the downloads folder on my computer.

The confusing thing is that this happens without any indication from Jaws.

My sighted wife tells me that there is a blue downloads arrow at the top of the screen that you can click on to open the file.  But, of course, I don’t have a clue about that arrow, and how it can be accessed.

I have noticed the same pattern if I manually copy and paste the link to the involved file into the Firefox Browser.

I’m curious if anyone else has seen this new behavior, and if there are any settings I can change to get things back to the way they used to be.

Thanks as always!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom,

          What you are describing is the default behavior for downloading files or attachments and it appears that your custom settings were overwritten during this update.  See this Firefox Support Page for information about how to change the behavior back to opening downloaded files in the browser itself.  It the page turns out to be poorly written from an accessibility standpoint I will be glad to help you further.

--
Brian

         ~ William James

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tom. In the Firefox General Options, there is a couple of check boxes which say either, Save Files To Downloads, or if you arrow down, Ask Me Where To Save Files.

If the choice is on Ask Me Where To Save Files, it not only asks you where to save the file, it also allows you to open the file instead of save it.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13652 (20160615) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13652 (20160615) __________

http://www.eset.com

Tom Behler

Bill:

I just did this, so the next time I get an e-mail with a link to a file, I’ll see whether it askes me to save or download the file.

At least I should have more control this way.

Thanks much.

Tom Behler

[...]

Brian:

Below are the instructions I found for changing Firefox download actions.

So far, as I indicated in my last list post, I have been able to change the option to ask me where I want to save the downloaded file.  I’m hoping this will give me the option to open the file as well.

I don’t completely understand, and am having trouble getting to the other options they suggest in these instructions, so if there is something else you think might help, please let me know.

Here are the instructions:

Changing download actions

list of 5 items

1.

Click the menu button

New Fx Menu

and choose Options.

2. Select the Applications panel.

3. The Applications panel will display. Select the type of file for which you want to change the default action.

Multiple entries for the same

file format or extension?

Some file types can include more than one Internet Media type.

4. The Action column will give you a drop-down menu, with options on action to take, whenever you click that type of file.

definition list of 1 items nesting level 1

incontent pref 38

list end nesting level 1

list of 3 items nesting level 1

◦ Always ask: will prompt you to select what action you want Firefox to take when you click on that type of file. This can be useful if Firefox is automatically

saving a file type or is always opening it with a certain program and you want to be asked what to do.

◦ Save File: will always save the file to your computer using the

Downloads window,

whenever you click that type of file.

◦ Open the file with an application or plugin of your choosing.

list end nesting level 1

5. Close the about:preferences page. Any changes you've made will automatically be saved.

list end

Thanks!

Tom Behler

          What you are describing is the default behavior for downloading files or attachments and it appears that your custom settings were overwritten during this update.  See this Firefox Support Page for information about how to change the behavior back to opening downloaded files in the browser itself.  It the page turns out to be poorly written from an accessibility standpoint I will be glad to help you further.

--
Brian

         ~ William James

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

What it will do is say, "What should Firefox do with this file. There will be two "radio" buttons. If you arrow up and down, one will say open file, the other will say save file.

Bill White billwhite92701@...

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13654 (20160615) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13654 (20160615) __________

http://www.eset.com

Tom,

          Clearly, that page is not very well-written from an accessibility standpoint!!

          A lot of people are conflating the settings on the Options, General tab with regard to save behavior with the more complex Applications tab that allows much more fine grained treatment for downloaded or detached files by file type.

          Again, this forum/group does not allow attachments, so I am not directly posting the solution here.  However you can find it, with the attached step-by-step instructions as an MS-Word attachment, on the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users forum in the thread entitled, Firefox: Controlling Actions taken for Specific File Types by Firefox Itself

        I have previously asked the group owner to enable attachments here.  If others feel that this would be helpful then please do the same.

--
Brian

         ~ William James

Mario

Brian, I hope you don't mind, but...

Tom, in addition to your and Brian's directions:
1, press the alt for the menubar, t for tools, o for options.

2. for JAWS, press insert+z and tab once. you should be able to down arrow to applications.

3. press tab 3 times. now you should be able to arrow thru a list of items that describe file types or events.

4. after focused on an event/file type,
press tab once. now you can arrow to specify what action you want Firefox to do when handling that file type. see step4 you provided.

5. don't forget to return JAWS to virtual PC cursor mode with an insert+z. then press control+w to close FF's options.

note, there is no ok or close button to press. any changes are automatically saved when the session is closed.

also note NVDA will correctly adjust it's interaction with the list boxes listed here, so insert+z only applies to JAWS.

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/change-firefox-behavior-when-open-file> for
information about how to change the behavior back to opening downloaded
files in the browser itself. It the page turns out to be poorly written
from an accessibility standpoint I will be glad to help you further.

--
*/Brian/*

*/A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
rearranging their prejudices./*

* ~ William James*

Tom Behler

This should be good enough for me, Bill.

I just like to be able to control what happens with downloaded files, rather than having them automatically go into my downloads folder, where I then have to search for them.

Tom Behler

[...]

Sharon

How do you even go to an internet address in Firefox? Having used IE, I do not know where to start. I only want to read web pages and save a few pages using Firefox but the keystroke combinations in the keyboard shortcut lists seem confusing to me, like window, tab, file. Can someone give me the basics? How do I open a web address like in IE I use control o. and How do I save a file. In IE it’s lalt-f a.

Thanks.

Sharon

[...]

Will this attachment be relevant to me, since I’m still using Windows 7?

My other problem is that I don’t belong to the Windows 10 users forum, because that is not necessary for me at this time.

Let me see if the fix I have done works well enough for me.

If not, I may try to get those instructions you suggest in another way.

Personally, I think it would be helpful for attachments to be allowed on this list, but at the same time, I do understand why the list moderator might be reluctant to do so.

Tom Behler

[...]

I checked the option that asks me where I want the file to be saved to, so I think I’m going to live with this for now.  I did a test, using the e-mail that contains the involved file, and the option is now very clearly stated.

I’m not sure why I simply can’t open the file if I’m not interested in saving it, so perhaps I have to change some other setting to make this possible.  If you know what that setting might be, please let me know.

At least now, I can control where the file ends up.

Tom Behler

[...]

             Yes, this is applicable to Firefox (and even earlier than version 47.0) under any version of Windows it's running under.

             One does not need to be a member of the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users group to read the online archive.  The same is true for the JFW group, its online archive is public as well.  I don't think that any of the blind and low-vision related groups have closed archives, which is a good thing because that means information shared here will turn up in web search engine results once the post pages get crawled.

              You should be able to click-through on any link I ever offer.  It would make no sense to offer information on a venue such as this one that is not able to be reached by all readers.
--
Brian

         ~ William James

Tom,

             I believe the "Always ask" option will give you not only save options in the choice list but also open in the browser or open in the native program for the file type.  It is essentially intended to be a way to ask the user every time which of the options one can choose from in the Applications dropdown that they want in each instance.
--
Brian

         ~ William James

Tom Behler

Mario:

See my most recent list post.

And, I do have a question:

Do these options allow for simply opening a file if I do not wish to save it?

I couldn't find that option when I checked earlier.

Tom Behler

What you are describing is the default behavior for
downloading files or attachments and it appears that your custom
settings were overwritten during this update. See this Firefox Support
Page
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/change-firefox-behavior-when-open-file>
for
information about how to change the behavior back to opening downloaded
files in the browser itself. It the page turns out to be poorly written
from an accessibility standpoint I will be glad to help you further.

--
*/Brian/*

*/A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
rearranging their prejudices./*

* ~ William James*

Tom Behler

Sharon:

To search for a given internet address in firefox, use control L.

This should bring up an edit box into which you can paste the address of the web page you want to go to.

As for saving a file, if you did what I just did as discussed in my earlier post via the Firefox options menu, you should be able to save a file and specify where you want that file to be saved in the usual way.

Tom Behler

[...]

Ok, Brian.

I’ll definitely check this out, and save for future reference.

Tom Behler

             Yes, this is applicable to Firefox (and even earlier than version 47.0) under any version of Windows it's running under.

             One does not need to be a member of the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users group to read the online archive.  The same is true for the JFW group, its online archive is public as well.  I don't think that any of the blind and low-vision related groups have closed archives, which is a good thing because that means information shared here will turn up in web search engine results once the post pages get crawled.

              You should be able to click-through on any link I ever offer.  It would make no sense to offer information on a venue such as this one that is not able to be reached by all readers.
--
Brian

         ~ William James

Tom,

             Yes, they do allow for either opening a file in the browser or passing the file to the program you have installed as the default handler for a file type.  I have Firefox pass all PDF files to PDF XChange Viewer because I don't like any of the browser plug-ins for PDF files.

             Covered in detail in step 5 of my write-up.
--
Brian

         ~ William James

Tom Behler

Brian:

In my case, the always ask option gives me the ability to specify where I want the given file to be saved, but I cannot find any option to simply open the file, at least by the usual navigation method with my arrow keys.

I’ll be interested to learn if anyone else is having a similar issue now with Firefox 47.  I do not recall experiencing this with Firefox 46 and earlier versions.

Tom Behler