[Bulk] Optimal Settings for Jaws on a Windows 7 Computer?

Dave...

Brandon,

Forget about Control Panel in Classic View. There are many once-familiar
dialogs that will look different from XP.

Don't think Home vs. Professional has anything to do with it, unless you
have a non-professional version of JAWS on a professional operating system.

Have no idea about your line breaks, except that you might want to make sure
you have IE maximized.

What do you mean by "out of the box" with regard to Freedom Scientific?

I didn't have to fiddle with anything when I got my Windows 7 machine and
JAWS 12 installed.

Do you perhaps have a touchpad or a touch stick that's getting in your way
when you're working? I turned both mine off to prevent accidental movement
of the cursor.

You have JAWS 11 and I'm not sure that JAWS 11 has all the bugs worked out
with regard Windows Live Mail.

Dave Carlson

From: "Sherry Gomes" <sherriola@gmail.com>
To: <blindwindows7@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [blindwindows7] Function keys
Date: Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:02 PM

Ah, this happened to me with my new laptop. Go into the control pane and look for something called windows mobility center. That's where I was able to change the performance of the function keys. It was set on multi media and I changed it to standard.

sherry

Brandon Keith Biggs <brandonboy13@...>

Hello,
In my HP Windows mobility center it doesn't have that option.
I've googled turning off performance of the function keys on an HP windows 7 Laptop, but no one seems to have the problem of needing F10 to get to the menu bar or having F11 to get to full screen. I couldn't find anything.
My alt button doesn't work and Google doesn't display a search or I'm feeling Lucky button or I'd be fine.
Is this just a problem with HP computers?
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs

this is from the windows 7 list some time ago. It works.

From: "Sherry Gomes" <sherriola@gmail.com>
To: <blindwindows7@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:02 PM

Ah, this happened to me with my new laptop. Go into the control pane
and look for something called windows mobility center. That's where
I was able to change the performance of the function keys. It was
set on multi media and I changed it to standard.

sherry

Brandon Keith Biggs <brandonboy13@...>

Hello,
I solved one problem and found a basic solution to another:
for the F-keys and the alt key, you need to:
start the computer and tap the f10 key repeatedly till a menu pops up. Next get a sighted person to get you to the right box and hit f9 to choose the 'keys' button from being checked (I'm not sure the exact name, but it is the only button with the words Keys on it).
Hit f10 to save and everything is back to normal.

I still do not see the search or I'm feeling Lucky button on Google though.
I had a sighted person look to see if the buttons were on the page and he said they were where they were supposed to be, but when Jaws tabs from the search box it says nothing. It says tab and that's it. It gives the beep that it's out of forms mode, but it doesn't speech the buttons at all.
Any ideas on how I can make it speek? Should I downgrade my IE?
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs

From: "Sherry Gomes" <sherriola@gmail.com>
To: <blindwindows7@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:02 PM

Ah, this happened to me with my new laptop. Go into the control pane
and look for something called windows mobility center. That's where
I was able to change the performance of the function keys. It was
set on multi media and I changed it to standard.

sherry

Peter Holdstock <ptrholdstock@...>

Yeh it will be the same thing. Just don't tick the box to remove the driver if it's available. What laptop do you have as there will likely be a key to disable it. I'm assuming you are referring to the touchpad or joystick thing actually on the keyboard rather than a seperate mouse?

[...]

The mobile center choices maybe don't say 'function keys'. There is a choice between multi-media, which was the default on my lap top, and something else. the something else was the right choice.

Good luck!

-----Original Message----- From: Ann Byrne
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:37 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.

this is from the windows 7 list some time ago. It works.

From: "Sherry Gomes" <sherriola@gmail.com>
To: <blindwindows7@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:02 PM

Ah, this happened to me with my new laptop. Go into the control pane
and look for something called windows mobility center. That's where
I was able to change the performance of the function keys. It was
set on multi media and I changed it to standard.

sherry

John ESherrer

I have a precision M6400.
John

[...]

I was looking at IE trying to figure out why it was showing so many line-breaks.
I have IE 9 which to my knowledge does not work well with Jaws 11.
Is there any way to downgrade IE 9 to IE 8? I googled it, but no one seemed to be downgrading their IE 9 on a Windows 7 computer.

Also, what have people found is the best anti virus program to work with Jaws?
thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs

[...]

deadcatbounce <JAWS@...>

What I don't like is when there are a different number of line breaks depending on versions of JAWS. This is one reason why I'm still using V11--I'm comfortable with where they usually occur on the pages I frequent and an upgraded versions messes those up. Wish they would remain constant. Does anyone know why this occurs?