Topics

JAWS 13 on a new pc, speech cutting off too soon

rixmix2009@...

I have JAWS 13 running on a couple of new Dell desktops.
On the newest one, I successfully installed and activated the latest upgrade of JAWS 13.

There is a behavior I hope someone may be able to help me solve.

JAWS reads fine. But at the end of each bit of information it cuts off before it is done, just short of the last speech sound.

The best example to explain it is when you are on a word, and just arrow character by character.
Each character is rendered nearly unrecognizable by this halted up short blip of a sound.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Rik

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

Rik, do you have another soundcard or audio device you can try putting Jaws Through on that machine? If so, go to Jaws, U for Utilities, O for Sound Cards, and you can specify a different sound device for Jaws there.

CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING! Clear True Sound: www.ctsmastering.com --

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Seamlessly share with your friends and colleagues. 2GB account is free! http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

rixmix2009@...

Chris,
Good suggestion.

In fact, this was what I was thinking, too.
Because this new pc does have 2 sound cards.
When I went through the customize ordering of the Dell, I selected this one.
It is a Sound blaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, and it is installed in an expansion slot.

This behavior I described has been there right from the beginning. I thought I would look in the JAWS utilities under sound cards. And sure enough the setting had the checkbox on Windows default. The Soundblaster was listed there. So I hit enter on that, and now it is checked. Sadly, however, my problem remains.

Might I need to reinstall JAWS or something?
I should add, that the reading is fine until the end of any string of text when it cuts off too early.
Even in reading menus or whatever it is not finishing the word.

Thanks.
Rik

Rik, do you have another soundcard or audio device you can try
putting Jaws Through on that machine? If so, go to Jaws, U for
Utilities, O for Sound Cards, and you can specify a different sound
device for Jaws there.

CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING! Clear True Sound:
www.ctsmastering.com --

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Seamlessly
share with your friends and colleagues. 2GB account is free!
http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Mike & Barbara <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Rick,

I have the same problem on a Widows7 32 Bit system. I have tried 3
different sound cards, changed display settings, & kicked it a couple of
times just because, & I still have the same problem! LOL LOL On the other
hand my Widows7 64 Bit system works just fine, go figure.

For everyone on the list, have a very merry Christmas and the Happiest of
New Years!
Mike

Rik, do you have another soundcard or audio device you can try
putting Jaws Through on that machine? If so, go to Jaws, U for
Utilities, O for Sound Cards, and you can specify a different sound
device for Jaws there.

CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING! Clear True Sound:
www.ctsmastering.com --

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Seamlessly
share with your friends and colleagues. 2GB account is free!
http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

rixmix2009@...

Well, thanks for sharing, Mike.
I am certainly not very happy either.
Getting a new machine, spending the money that is in short supply, to replace an old XP machine that was at least not stuttering like this.
It does make a camper wonder what to think. Or what the heck is the deal.

This pc is just so new, a Dell XPS 8300, running at 3.4 GHz. It has Windows Ultimate, it is a 64-bit operating system. I ordered it from Dell, put extra RAM on it, 12 Gigabytes.

If my JAWS problem is related to the sound card, I wonder why. My Kurzweil K-1000 program is running, speaking Eloquence, smoothly, without this problem. So one would not think that the sound card is the issue.

I will contact Freedom Scientific, and hopefully they may be able to help.

It is odd, indeed. And while in some ways I can live with it, I do find that it really disrupts my flow. And I wonder how you can stand it?

Thanks.
And Merry Christmas to everyone.
Rik

Rik, do you have another soundcard or audio device you can try
putting Jaws Through on that machine? If so, go to Jaws, U for
Utilities, O for Sound Cards, and you can specify a different sound
device for Jaws there.

CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING! Clear True Sound:
www.ctsmastering.com --

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Seamlessly
share with your friends and colleagues. 2GB account is free!
http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Mike & Barbara <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Rik,

If you get any answers from Freedom Scientific Tech Support, will you please
post them?! I'm sure the results will be appreciated by many people having
the same issues. Thanks much, take care.
Mike

Rik, do you have another soundcard or audio device you can try
putting Jaws Through on that machine? If so, go to Jaws, U for
Utilities, O for Sound Cards, and you can specify a different sound
device for Jaws there.

CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING! Clear True Sound:
www.ctsmastering.com --

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Seamlessly
share with your friends and colleagues. 2GB account is free!
http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Brian and Denise Albriton <autoharp@...>

Some years back there was an issue with creative labs sound cars that required the installation of special drivers. It was the crackling eloquence issue.
This sounds like one for freedom tech support.
Brian

-----Original Message----- From: Mike & Barbara
Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2011 1:28 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.

----- Original Message ----- From: rixmix2009@gmail.com

-----Original Message----- From: Chris Smart
Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:50 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.

Rik, do you have another soundcard or audio device you can try
putting Jaws Through on that machine? If so, go to Jaws, U for
Utilities, O for Sound Cards, and you can specify a different sound
device for Jaws there.

CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING! Clear True Sound:
www.ctsmastering.com --

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Seamlessly
share with your friends and colleagues. 2GB account is free!
http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

rixmix2009@...

Some of you may recall my post a couple weeks back.
I had the speech clipping off very abruptly. Where single characters were rendered unrecognizable, and the ends of words cut off.
Our theory on the list was that it had something to do with the Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card.

I just got through with a tandem session with Freedom Scientific. And I am very pleased to report that they helped to resolve the issue!

Turned out that what was needed was to disable the 3-D enhancements on the card. Once that was done, the clipping problem ceased entirely.
They did disable a lot of things at first, and ultimately only leaving this feature disabled, the problem stayed good and gone.
So, hooray! Now, I can get to using this new pc.
Hopefully, this news may help anyone else who has the issue.

Best,
Rik

Rik, do you have another soundcard or audio device you can try
putting Jaws Through on that machine? If so, go to Jaws, U for
Utilities, O for Sound Cards, and you can specify a different sound
device for Jaws there.

CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING! Clear True Sound:
www.ctsmastering.com --

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Seamlessly
share with your friends and colleagues. 2GB account is free!
http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Mike & Barbara <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Rik,

Thank you very much for the update. Your experience was probably what
happened with my Widows7 32 bit system. My speech would cut off abruptly
with a SoundBlaster Audigy & SoundBlaster X-Fi USB soundcards. Jaws
returned to speaking normally when I started using the RealTek soundcard
that came integrated into the motherboard. Anyway, thanks again, & have a
happy New Year.
Mike