JAWS 13 Hot Key

Dave Mitchell

Hi, I had a Hot Key assigned to JAWS 13 and I managed to do this via the icon on the desk top. This is a major whoop for me.
Now I notice that somehow the desktop icon for JAWS 13 has gone missing.
Of course, I don't know how to remedy this.
Do I need to install from the CD? Or is there a simple way to add JAWS 13 to the desk top?
This is an XP Home O S.
Thanks, Mitch

Kimber Gardner

Go to jaws in the programs list and right click. One of the options
you'll hear as you arrow down is send to with a submenu. One of the
choices is desktop which will put a shortcut on your desktop.

Once you have it there it will read something like shortcut to jaws,
so you will probably want to rename it. Do this by right clicking on
the shortcut and choosing rename.

Hope this helps.

On 12/14/11, Dave Mitchell <mitch@...> wrote:
Hi, I had a Hot Key assigned to JAWS 13 and I managed to do this via the
icon on the desk top. This is a major whoop for me.
Now I notice that somehow the desktop icon for JAWS 13 has gone missing.
Of course, I don't know how to remedy this.
Do I need to install from the CD? Or is there a simple way to add JAWS 13
to the desk top?
This is an XP Home O S.
Thanks, Mitch

Kimberly

dennis <dennis.cornelison@...>

hi. go to your start menue/programs/jaws13 right arrow into the jaws menue. arrow down to jaws and hit the applications key. up arrow to send to and right arrow into that menue. then up arrow to desktop create shortcut. hope this helps.

Hi, I had a Hot Key assigned to JAWS 13 and I managed to do this via the icon on the desk top. This is a major whoop for me.
Now I notice that somehow the desktop icon for JAWS 13 has gone missing.
Of course, I don't know how to remedy this.
Do I need to install from the CD? Or is there a simple way to add JAWS 13 to the desk top?
This is an XP Home O S.
Thanks, Mitch

Adrian Spratt

Mitch, I think this will work:

1. Go to the start menu, then programs, then press j until JAWS 13 is
spoken.

2. Press enter on JAWS 13, then arrow up or down until you hear simply,
"JAWS." do not press enter.

3. Press the applications key, which is to the left of the right control
key.

4. Arrow up (on my system just once) until you hear "Properties." Press
enter.

5. Here you'll be in the shortcut dialog that you may have encountered when
the JAWS icon was still on the desktop.

6. Tab to the blank edit field where you type in the letter you want to use
for the shortcut. Do not press control or alt, which are assigned by
default.

7. Press enter.

Note. I've learned to skip the OK button when creating a shortcut. For some
reason, I, and others, have found that more tabbing can undo the shortcut
you chose. In its instructions, FS also says to press enter right away.

That should do it. I can't test to confirm that the icon will appear along
with the shortcut, since I haven't lost mine, but I don't think the shortcut
could work without it. Would you let us know either way?

Hi, I had a Hot Key assigned to JAWS 13 and I managed to do this via the
icon on the desk top. This is a major whoop for me.
Now I notice that somehow the desktop icon for JAWS 13 has gone missing.
Of course, I don't know how to remedy this.
Do I need to install from the CD? Or is there a simple way to add JAWS 13
to the desk top?
This is an XP Home O S.
Thanks, Mitch

Adrian Spratt

I wish this had been posted before I wrote my elaborate instructions. Much
simpler.

Hi, I had a Hot Key assigned to JAWS 13 and I managed to do this via
the icon on the desk top. This is a major whoop for me.
Now I notice that somehow the desktop icon for JAWS 13 has gone missing.
Of course, I don't know how to remedy this.
Do I need to install from the CD? Or is there a simple way to add
JAWS 13 to the desk top?
This is an XP Home O S.
Thanks, Mitch

Dave Mitchell

Thanks. This worked and my desk top now contains 2 listings of JAWS. One says JAWS 12 and the new one just says 'JAWS'.
From this JAWS desk top icon, I did alt plus enter for creating my new hot
key and arrowed down to the apply button.
I unloaded JAWS and reloaded with the new hot key so, at least for now, I'm all set. Mitch
hi. go to your start menue/programs/jaws13 right arrow into the jaws menue. arrow down to jaws and hit the applications key. up arrow to send to and right arrow into that menue. then up arrow to desktop create shortcut. hope this helps.
Hi, I had a Hot Key assigned to JAWS 13 and I managed to do this via the icon on the desk top. This is a major whoop for me.
Now I notice that somehow the desktop icon for JAWS 13 has gone missing.
Of course, I don't know how to remedy this.
Do I need to install from the CD? Or is there a simple way to add JAWS 13 to the desk top?
This is an XP Home O S.
Thanks, Mitch

Dave...

Mitch,

If you'd rather have it say JAWS 13 then do the following:

Arrow to the desktop icon
Press f2
Edit the name
Press Enter

Dave Carlson

Hi, I had a Hot Key assigned to JAWS 13 and I managed to do this via the
icon on the desk top. This is a major whoop for me.
Now I notice that somehow the desktop icon for JAWS 13 has gone missing.
Of course, I don't know how to remedy this.
Do I need to install from the CD? Or is there a simple way to add JAWS
13 to the desk top?
This is an XP Home O S.
Thanks, Mitch

dennis <dennis.cornelison@...>

you can rename it jaws 13 if you want also. thats up to you though.

Thanks. This worked and my desk top now contains 2 listings of JAWS. One says JAWS 12 and the new one just says 'JAWS'.
From this JAWS desk top icon, I did alt plus enter for creating my new hot key and arrowed down to the apply button.
I unloaded JAWS and reloaded with the new hot key so, at least for now, I'm all set. Mitch
hi. go to your start menue/programs/jaws13 right arrow into the jaws menue. arrow down to jaws and hit the applications key. up arrow to send to and right arrow into that menue. then up arrow to desktop create shortcut. hope this helps.
Hi, I had a Hot Key assigned to JAWS 13 and I managed to do this via the icon on the desk top. This is a major whoop for me.
Now I notice that somehow the desktop icon for JAWS 13 has gone missing.
Of course, I don't know how to remedy this.
Do I need to install from the CD? Or is there a simple way to add JAWS 13 to the desk top?
This is an XP Home O S.
Thanks, Mitch

Dave Mitchell

Thanks Dave, that was so easy I almost thought you were kidding. <G> Mitch