Topics

Windows 10 Start Menu no longer recognized by the latest JAWS 17 update.

Peter Tesar

Hello,

Has anyone else experienced this?
I noticed it a few days ago after updating to the latest JAWS 17.

When I press the Windows key, all I hear is: "cortana".
JAWS no longer announces the items as I arrow up or down. This is what happened with JAWS 16 and the new Windows 10.

If I kill JAWS and start NVDA, then I can hear the Start Menu items.

The Windows key still works together with the other keys:
  WINDOWS+e for File Explorer and
  WINDOWS+ i for the setting.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this problem.

Peter T.

Hi Peter,

I cannot reproduce this (forward your query to Win10 list to see if any experts there can also help you).

Cheers,

Joseph

I noticed it a few days ago after updating to the latest JAWS 17.

When I press the Windows key, all I hear is: "cortana".
JAWS no longer announces the items as I arrow up or down. This is what happened with JAWS 16 and the new Windows 10.

If I kill JAWS and start NVDA, then I can hear the Start Menu items.

The Windows key still works together with the other keys:
  WINDOWS+e for File Explorer and
  WINDOWS+ i for the setting.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this problem.

Peter T.

Peter Tesar

Hello Joseph,

I want to try a repair but I don't know if there is a specific executable to use.

I tried to run the following but WINDOWS says that it cannot be found:

c:\program files\freedom scientific\jaws\17.0\jfw.exe /type repair

I assume that I should run the executable: jfw.exe
Is that correct?

Peter T

On 2016-06-12 9:33 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi Peter,

I cannot reproduce this (forward your query to Win10 list to see if any experts there can also help you).

Cheers,

Joseph

I noticed it a few days ago after updating to the latest JAWS 17.

When I press the Windows key, all I hear is: "cortana".
JAWS no longer announces the items as I arrow up or down. This is what happened with JAWS 16 and the new Windows 10.

If I kill JAWS and start NVDA, then I can hear the Start Menu items.

The Windows key still works together with the other keys:
  WINDOWS+e for File Explorer and
  WINDOWS+ i for the setting.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this problem.

Peter T.

Hi,

Try:

Open Run dialog and type:

Jaws17 /repair

Also, a member of the Win10 group suggests completely removing and reinstalling JAWS 17, and other members cannot reproduce this issue.

On 2016-06-12 9:33 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi Peter,

I cannot reproduce this (forward your query to Win10 list to see if any experts there can also help you).

Cheers,

Joseph

I noticed it a few days ago after updating to the latest JAWS 17.

When I press the Windows key, all I hear is: "cortana".
JAWS no longer announces the items as I arrow up or down. This is what happened with JAWS 16 and the new Windows 10.

If I kill JAWS and start NVDA, then I can hear the Start Menu items.

The Windows key still works together with the other keys:
  WINDOWS+e for File Explorer and
  WINDOWS+ i for the setting.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this problem.

Peter T.

David Moore

Hi,
In order to repair JAWS, you must paste a copy of the executable right on your hard drive. I know that for sure, and I am not quite sure what you type in the run dialog.
David Moore (win10 list moderator)

On 2016-06-12 9:33 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi Peter,

I cannot reproduce this (forward your query to Win10 list to see if any experts there can also help you).

Cheers,

Joseph

I noticed it a few days ago after updating to the latest JAWS 17.

When I press the Windows key, all I hear is: "cortana".
JAWS no longer announces the items as I arrow up or down. This is what happened with JAWS 16 and the new Windows 10.

If I kill JAWS and start NVDA, then I can hear the Start Menu items.

The Windows key still works together with the other keys:
  WINDOWS+e for File Explorer and
  WINDOWS+ i for the setting.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this problem.

Peter T.

Mike and Jenna <schwaltze@...>

Hi,

I can not reproduce this on my end either neither in the insider builds or the concumer builds.

I cannot reproduce this (forward your query to Win10 list to see if any experts there can also help you).

Cheers,

Joseph

I noticed it a few days ago after updating to the latest JAWS 17.

When I press the Windows key, all I hear is: "cortana".
JAWS no longer announces the items as I arrow up or down. This is what happened with JAWS 16 and the new Windows 10.

If I kill JAWS and start NVDA, then I can hear the Start Menu items.

The Windows key still works together with the other keys:
  WINDOWS+e for File Explorer and
  WINDOWS+ i for the setting.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this problem.

Peter T.

Hello,
I am a PrivateBeta tester and localizer of the JAWS for Windows screen
reading software, and had a chance to test build 17.0.2211 before it
released out to customers. I have never seen this kind of a serious
issue. There is a small issue with this build and the Windows 10
calculator, which makes the scripts introduced a while back not to
load correctly in this build, but not for the start menu. Not only me,
but others also did not report this problem.

Best,

Adi.

--
Regards,

Adi Kushnir.

Also, you can just try running your latest JAWS installer, if you don’t have the latest installer for the latest build, go ahead and grab it from the FS website. This would also allow you to select repair as an option.

On 2016-06-12 9:33 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi Peter,

I cannot reproduce this (forward your query to Win10 list to see if any experts there can also help you).

Cheers,

Joseph

I noticed it a few days ago after updating to the latest JAWS 17.

When I press the Windows key, all I hear is: "cortana".
JAWS no longer announces the items as I arrow up or down. This is what happened with JAWS 16 and the new Windows 10.

If I kill JAWS and start NVDA, then I can hear the Start Menu items.

The Windows key still works together with the other keys:
  WINDOWS+e for File Explorer and
  WINDOWS+ i for the setting.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this problem.

Peter T.

Shane clark

Hello,

A few days ago, I had a similar experience with Jaws not starting up for me out of the blue. Through a lot of great people here on the list, including Bill, suggested contacting Microsoft Disability Desk, of which I did, and found out that a Jaws repair didn’t solve my issue. We had to do an uninstall/reinstall of Jaws, which helped. So this may be what needs to be done here.  Not sure, but it may help.

Shane.

On 2016-06-12 9:33 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi Peter,

I cannot reproduce this (forward your query to Win10 list to see if any experts there can also help you).

Cheers,

Joseph

I noticed it a few days ago after updating to the latest JAWS 17.

When I press the Windows key, all I hear is: "cortana".
JAWS no longer announces the items as I arrow up or down. This is what happened with JAWS 16 and the new Windows 10.

If I kill JAWS and start NVDA, then I can hear the Start Menu items.

The Windows key still works together with the other keys:
  WINDOWS+e for File Explorer and
  WINDOWS+ i for the setting.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this problem.

Peter T.

Ann Byrne

You are not losing your mind. I have seen this. When it happened to me I rebooted and JAWS read the menu correctly.

At 08:32 PM 6/12/2016, you wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I still have not fixed the problem that JAWS will not announce the Start Menu items. I know that the menu is opened and I know how to navigate through it.

All I can do is a repair. I have not found a way to completely uninstall JAWS 17.

I just sent this issue to Tech Support. The automatic response is now from something called VFO.

My last attempt was to reinstall using the latest j17.0.211enu-x64.exe. It started out with the JAWS setup but then I was given 2 options: modify or repair.

So now I have done the repair in two ways and the Start Menu, once opened, JAWS still does not recognize.

I can still right click the Start Menu button and arrow up and down with JAWS announcing most of the menu items. I can also use the file explorer to quickly access the most recently used items.

Now to wait for a response from the VFO tech support. Thanks again for all of your response.

Peter T.

Gene Stevens

To uninstall jaws click on the .EXE command for your version of Jaws where ever it is located from when you downloaded it to do the initial install. After doing a bit of setup Jaws will offer you the choice to repair/modify/uninstall Jaws. Choose the uninstall option and follow the prompts.

Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 6:55 AM

[...]

James Malone

Same thing happened here as well.