How to mark un-read messages inwindows live mail

Tom Behler

Hi, all.

On this new laptop with Windows 7, I am currently trying to use Windows Live Mail.

As some of you may know, this is a real switch from the much more blind-friendly Outlook Express e-mail program I used to use wwith my old Windows XP laptop.

Anyway, I am finding that when I access my g-mail through Windows Live Mail, there is no way to tell which messages are unread. My sighted wife tells me that the unread messages are marked in bold, but Jaws is not reading this for me.

Is there any good way to note unread messages in Windows Live Mail and Windows7?

I am using Jaws 11 here.
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Tom Behler from Michigan

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello Tom;

If you're using the 2011 version of windows live mail, then the graphics
which
indicate unread, attachment, etc are not labeled by default.

However, you can label these
manually

:1. Open windows live mail.

2. Normally, Jaws is set not to read any unlabeled graphics. To temporarily
change this behavior/setting so that it reads them, so that you can find
them and label
them: press insert+v to open the adjust jaws options dialog;or, in jaws13
it's now refered to as, quick settings.
press the letter "G" until you hear jaws announce Graphics - labeled; press
spacebar to cycle to the next option for this setting which is graphics -
all, and then press enter to activate the default close button.

3. When jaws reads a message in the message list, it now reads each
unlabeled
graphic as graphic followed by a number, and these all occur before the
senders
name. What you will need to determine is,
what is the number graphic corresponding with, unread, attachments.

4. To label a graphic, move to a unread message
in
the list which is unread, that is jaws says graphic and the graphic number
when reading it;
press
insert + numpad minus to route the jaws cursor to the pc cursor - this
places
the jaws cursor at the beginning of the senders name; press left arrow till
you
get to graphicXXX press insert + g to open the graphics labeler dialog;
the
initial focus is a label edit box, with the text graphic xxx selected; type

unread, and then press enter to activate the default ok button.

5. Repeat step 4 to label any other unlabeled graphics that you want to
label.
6. If you close and reopen windows live mail, the jaws setting for reading
graphics will have returned to just reading labeled graphics.

On this new laptop with Windows 7, I am currently trying to use Windows Live
Mail.

As some of you may know, this is a real switch from the much more
blind-friendly Outlook Express e-mail program I used to use wwith my old
Windows XP laptop.

Anyway, I am finding that when I access my g-mail through Windows Live Mail,
there is no way to tell which messages are unread. My sighted wife tells me
that the unread messages are marked in bold, but Jaws is not reading this
for me.

Is there any good way to note unread messages in Windows Live Mail and
Windows7?

I am using Jaws 11 here.
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Thanks very much, David.

This seems cumbersome, but is certainly better than nothing.

I am not sure I'
m liking Windows Live Mail very much, for this and a few other reasons.

I know some folks on the list are suggesting that we go to something called Windows Mail for an e-mail interface that is more like the earlier Outlook Express in Windows XP, but I am not sure how accurate this is, how difficult it would be to do, and when I'd get the time to do it. However, it might be worth considering.

If you have any thoughts on this, I'd certainly welcom them.

Thanks for your help with this current issue. Once again, I really appreciate your being out there.

Tom Behler from Michigan

[...]

First thank you for the kind words.
I do understand your frustrations with WLM,
FS could really rectify this problem by labeling the graphics,
And, providing some scripts which would alleviate the problem folks are
having with the client.
Although the research it feature may be a good tool for some,
I really think we need to start shouting a little louder so FS may get the
message.
Regarding windows mail,
Yes it does sound sort of daunting for those who really don't want to be
messing with the registry tweak, however, it really isn't that difficult, if
you follow, the steps.
Yes, the windows mail has the OE feel, and, it's very simple to use,
However, as I indicated, some folks after performing the registry tweak, had
problems downloading and installing the windows 7 service pack 1.
I'm not entirely sure what the issue was, all I do know is, it was talked
about on other lists.
Unfortunately, because I provide adaptive training here in Canada,
I try to learn the most used email clients, outlook,
WLM,
I do run a yahoo list,
Which pertains to screen readers and email clients,
If anyone wishes to join you can send a email to:

Email-clients-with-screen-readers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

I hope I've ansered some of your concerns.

initial focus is a label edit box, with the text graphic xxx selected; type

On this new laptop with Windows 7, I am currently trying to use Windows Live
Mail.

As some of you may know, this is a real switch from the much more
blind-friendly Outlook Express e-mail program I used to use wwith my old
Windows XP laptop.

Anyway, I am finding that when I access my g-mail through Windows Live Mail,
there is no way to tell which messages are unread. My sighted wife tells me
that the unread messages are marked in bold, but Jaws is not reading this
for me.

Is there any good way to note unread messages in Windows Live Mail and
Windows7?

I am using Jaws 11 here.
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Tom Behler from Michigan

Dave...

Tom -- w/r installing Windows Mail via the Tweak: Yes, accurate. Yes,
difficult. The instructions need to be followed explicitly with no skipping
around. And all cautions of backing up are seriously recommended -- just in
case.

Took me about 7 minutes to do it.

Dave Carlson

initial focus is a label edit box, with the text graphic xxx selected; type

On this new laptop with Windows 7, I am currently trying to use Windows Live
Mail.

As some of you may know, this is a real switch from the much more
blind-friendly Outlook Express e-mail program I used to use wwith my old
Windows XP laptop.

Anyway, I am finding that when I access my g-mail through Windows Live Mail,
there is no way to tell which messages are unread. My sighted wife tells me
that the unread messages are marked in bold, but Jaws is not reading this
for me.

Is there any good way to note unread messages in Windows Live Mail and
Windows7?

I am using Jaws 11 here.
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Tom Behler from Michigan

rogerbailey81@...

I am tempted to subscribe to that list, but I am drowning in email as it is and I am having a particularly difficult time reading it right now anyway. That is, I am reading on the web. My WLM is completely crashed. When I try to open it I just get a notice that it has stopped working and I am given abutton to click so that it can close and search for a solution on line. When I do that it just closes. I do not want to mess with the registry. I do not have enough technical knowledge to do so and those instructions largely did not even make sense to me because of my ignorance. If anyone would ruin his system by messing with the registry I would be one of the most likely to do so. I have tried uninstalling my WLM and reinstalling it and that did not work. So, short of refiguring my registry, is there any way that any of you can suggest to just get my WLM working again?

[...]

Hello there;

Do you have the WLM excecutable?
If so, you may want to run it,
This would most likely repair what ever went wrong?

If you need the latest, let me know.

[...]

Hi Roger;

Another thing you can do is;
If your using windows 7 for example;

Go into control panel,
P=programs and features,
W=windows live essentials2011,
Now press applications key, and enter on uninstall/change button,
You should find a button,
Repair all Windows Live programs

Try this.

This should fix your current problem.

[...]

Further to the windows mail registry tweak;
You don't have to go into the registry at all.
The files are provided,
You simplely enter on a particular,
File,
For example;

Add some missing entries to the registry. Click on the two files "Set
WinMailDefault.reg" and "WinMailEdit.reg" will take care of this for you.
Each time you add entries to the registry from a .reg file, you will receive
a warning which makes sure that you trust the source and a message
asking"Are you sure you want to continue?". Assuming that you do in fact
trust the source and wish to complete this procedure, make sure to select
the "Yes" button.

Hope this is helpful and explains a little more.

[...]

I don't know if I have the WLM executable or not. Where would I find it if I do?

[...]

That didn't work either. I just now tried it, but when I started I remembered that I had already tried it. When I uninstalled it I saw the option of repairing and decided to try that first. It did not work, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. That also did not work, However, on your advice I just tried the repair option again and it didn't work this time either.

[...]

Did you try to do the repair as I suggested?

You can get a copy of the Windows live essentials from here:

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials

[...]

I have already deleted that set of instructions because it was long and complicated and I did not understand most of it. The dire warnings that were included in it scared me off too. Are you saying that those instructions did not include going into the registry or are you saying that adding that file is an alternative to the instructions? Do you mean that I can just download the file and install it?

[...]

As far as I can tell I did the repair as you instructed. It then counted off percentages until it reached 100 percent and then gave me the option of restarting now or later. I clicked restart now and tried WLM when my computer restarted. The same thing happened. It said that the program had to close and gave me a button to click so that it could check on line for a solution. I clicked that and it just closed. As for the link you provided, that was where I downloaded and reinstalled the new copy when I uninstalled it. By the way, I just thought of something. Actually, when it finished counting off the percentages and gave me the option of restarting now or later I clicked restart now, but nothing happened, at least not immediately. So I went to the start menu by pressing control + escape and restarted by using the restart utility there. Would that have an effect?

[...]

111
22/56ad7797/attachment.html>

Peter Holdstock <ptrholdstock@...>

How long has WLM been playing up? Try doing a system restore to before it happened. Otherwise your new PC will have a restore disk. It's maybe worth restoring it back to factory defaults and start again. If you didn't get a disk then it's probably a partition on the hard drive. Have a look at the getting started guide for your PC as it will likely tell you how to restore it. There will be a way of doing that without losing your data files.

Peter

Peter

type

[...]

Hello Roger;
Okay, so when you did the uninstall, did you check all the programs
associated with windows live?

I'm really not sure what to tell you,
The only thing I can suggest at this moment is,
Have you considered a restore,
To when the WLM actually was working?

[...]

I can send you a shorter version of the setup for windows mail,
You need to follow the steps, and yes,
No need to venture into the registry,
As I said, the .reg files will do this for you.

In fact you can go to:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14125880/WinMail.exe

all the files are there,
and there is a text file for your reading.
Note, when you press enter on the WinMail.exe,
It will unzip and place files on the C-drive,
And the folder will be called,
WinMail.

[...]

Are all your windows updates up to date along with Java, Flash etc?

Peter

[...]

Have you tried:

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

[...]

David:

Well, I appreciate all of this information, and yes, it was very helpful as always.

I will consider joining your yahoo list, but before I do that, I may have to figure out which list to drop because I get so many e-mails every day.

I may just call Freedom Scientific, and ask them about my issues with Windows Live Mail, just to have them here my concerns, and to add my voice to those who are having problems.

I'll keep in touch as I struggle along here.

Thanks again ,David.

Tom Behler from Michigan