Mouse Over

Lois

Since I installed Jaws 13, I can't get rid of mouse over, on websites. I don't use it and am having difficulty getting it ignored by Jaws. I'm trying to learn my way around the settings center but must not be saving the setting, or something. If someone can help, It would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Lois Goodine.
al413@verizon.net

Adrian Spratt

Lois,

I'll try to replicate the steps I just tested with the JAWS 12 settings
center and hope they still apply in JAWS 13, then I'll copy an old set of
instructions, just in case.

1. go to settings center.

2. Go to Web/HTML.

3. Press right arrow, and then arrow down to "Miscellaneous."

4. Press right arrow, then arrow down to "Indicate element attribute." If
checked, uncheck.

The following instructions that apply to a non-settings center version of
JAWS gave me the clues:

In the configuration manager, press control shift D for the default file.
Press alt S for the set options menu.
Press H for HTML options.
Control shift tab to the misc tab and uncheck the box for indicate element
attribute.

Since I installed Jaws 13, I can't get rid of mouse over, on websites. I
don't use it and am having difficulty getting it ignored by Jaws. I'm trying
to learn my way around the settings center but must not be saving the
setting, or something. If someone can help, It would be much appreciated.
Thank you. Lois Goodine. al413@verizon.net

Soronel Haetir

There is also specifically an OnMouseOver element in the speech and
cound scheme manager and ignore is one of the options there. I don't
have a website it onmouseovers handy to try it on though.

On 11/12/11, Adrian Spratt <Adrian@adrianspratt.com> wrote:
[...]

soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Matthew Horspool <mhorspool@...>

Hi,

Lois Goodine wrote: "Since I installed Jaws 13, I can't get rid of mouse
over, on websites. I don't use it and am having difficulty getting it
ignored by Jaws."

The most effective way of doing this without interfering with anything else
is to disable the speaking of OnMouseOvers in the Speech & Sounds Manager
for the currently active scheme. Here's how:

1. Press JAWSKey+6 to invoke the 'Settings Centre'.

2. Press CTRL+SHIFT+D to load the 'Default' file.

3. The 'Search' box will have focus. Type "modify" (without the quotes) and
wait a few seconds.

4. Press DownArrow once. JAWS should announce that you are on 'Modify
Schemes...'

5. Press the SPACEBAR.

6. You will now be presented with a dialog prompting you to select the
scheme you wish to modify. The currently active scheme will be selected by
default. Press ALT+E for the 'Edit Selected Scheme' button.

7. Press CTRL+TAB eight times to land on the 'HTML Attributes' page.

8. You should be on a list of attributes. Press O twice to move to
'OnMouseOver'.

9. Press ALT+I to move to, and check, the 'Ignore' radio button.

10. Press ENTER four times to confirm your changes, answering 'Yes' to any
dialog boxes which appear.

11. Press ALT+F4 to exit the 'Settings Centre'.

12. You should be asked if you wish to save your changes - answer 'Yes'.

Hope this helps,
Matthew

Dave Mitchell

Thank you Matthew for your detailed and instructive steps for solving this specific problem.
For me, this confirms my observation that the new Settings Center is a giant step backwards.
I am an average but long time JAWS user and, rhetorically, I ask how any casual user of the increasingly complex powerhouse of JAWS 13 is to learn these kind of commands. It's early here so I hope some of you understand my lament. Mitch

[...]

Mitch,

The method Matthew and Soronel recommend has the virtue of enabling a user
to specify only mouseover as the element to be ignored. The method I posted
silences a range of so-called elements. However, I have worked for years
with mouseover switched off in this latter method and haven't noticed any
other loss of JAWS function. I'd be interested if anyone could post
important elements, or attributes, that I lose this way.

The method Matthew nicely explains is indeed complicated, but I'd keep two
points in mind. First, you couldn't target mouseover alone before FS
introduced the speech and sounds manager. Second, FS firmly believes that
mouseover is information JAWS uses should have, which is why the default is
"on." A third point, perhaps, is that this is a fairly obscure JAWS
function, hence its obscure location within the JAWS menus.

[...]

Hi Mich,

I agree that the new 'Settings Centre' is a very different approach and it
will take people some time to learn their way around it. However, this
particular process was equally as complex in earlier versions of JAWS. The
only real difference was that, instead of using the search box to find
'Modify Schemes...', you'd need to press ALT+S for 'Set Options', then M (I
think, anyway) for 'Speech & Sounds Manager'. The rest of the steps would
be near enough identical.

The one thing which I really do value about the new utility is that it
remembers the last few settings that you've changed. This is particularly
useful in a tech support environment where a user has somehow broken their
JAWS, but they don't know how: it's now very easy to check what settings
they might have changed to introduce the problem - and, indeed, if they
haven't changed anything, you can surmise that the problem is most likely
somewhere else in the system.

Matthew