From: "Richard Holloway" <rholloway@gopbc.org>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2011 19:04
Subject: Re: SMA Notice

Interesting. Well, I guess it could be worse. So now you have a $58 dongle
and a $3000 dongle (give or take a few bucks). Given the relatively modest
amount, it may be as well to have an actual dongle at this point (because of
the small size if nothing else). Where it actually crossed the line though
was where some of us (sounds like this includes you) ended up with the $3K
unit in the first place which included the license for the $1000 program,
but nobody mentioned it so we spent $900 or so on the same license and then
began adding on SMA's by the $100's as years rolled by.

Besides, I suspect the dongle is closer to seamless. I'll bet the Pacmate
solution takes more effort like reauthorizing manually when you boot or
something like that.

The FS guarding of the dongles and their using the SMA's as a giant revenue
stream and all of that continue to sort of baffle me though I don't have
benefit of the numbers involved from their standpoint. From what I grasp, it
seems to me they might come out better reducing some charges and allowing
volume sales to increase.

I liked the idea of going with the PAC Mate because of the close association
with having JAWS on the PC and the PAC Mate, but the fact of the matter is
the unit (compared to an Apex) is huge and clunky. (Well, even compared to
the mPower from back then). It might not matter so much to some people, but
that Apex it basically attached to my daughter much of the day. The size and
weight difference is a big deal alone, at least for a third grader. I keep
wondering if they are going to come out with something more Apex-like (they
meaning FS). After all, the Omni is what, maybe 5 years old now? Surely it
is time for a facelift.

Richard

On Nov 3, 2011, at 10:26 PM, Farfar on Laptop wrote:

No, the dongle is not version-specific. It cost me just a few cents over
US$58 to send it to my mailbox. Also I had to digitally sign a form
promising that I would never ever use the dongle in a way as to pervert
the
use of it strictly for my purposes. Or something along those lines. They
guard those dongles with enormous zeal.

Dave Carlson
From: "Farfar on Laptoject: Re: SMA Notice

Joni,

Another way to look at your situation, is in how much money you
actually saved. If you had kept current, going from JAWS 6 through 15
would have been
5 SMA at $120 each for a total of $600. You got current + SMA for $100
less.

So you came out ahead. Congratulations!

Of course I'm not accounting for inflation and the value of the dollar
in all this, but still...

Richard Holloway

I'm not familiar with remote mode-- what is that?

So far our JAWS use is fairly basic and we have never had need to try and use JAWS on a machine without a conventionally authorized version of the product is installed, though I'd like to have that option.

I'd especially like my daughter to be able to use JAWS, say at a friend's house when she's over visiting, but all of her friends are typically sighted, so as one might expect, they would not have an expensive screen reader sitting about on their computer for her to use.

Maybe I can dig up an old PC to test this on with a demo version installed and see what happens.

On Nov 8, 2011, at 8:59 AM, Farfar on Laptop wrote:

Richard,

I tried the PacMate and it seems that its authorization is used when in
remote mode. I didn't pursue further, but I'm thinking it only means that if
you are using the PC JAWS and PacMate JAWS, and are having the two products
communicating remotely, that the PacMate JAWS can be used as authorization
in that case?

Have you tried this yourself to see how it works?

I'd have to ask FS to explain better the point of that type of
authorization.

Dave Carlson

Another way to look at your situation, is in how much money you
actually saved. If you had kept current, going from JAWS 6 through 15
would have been
5 SMA at $120 each for a total of $600. You got current + SMA for $100
less.

So you came out ahead. Congratulations!

Of course I'm not accounting for inflation and the value of the dollar
in all this, but still...

Dave...

Richard,

Look at the Thumb Drive version of JAWS for your daughter's away-from-home
usage on other machines. Sounds like what she needs. On the FS web site,
downloadable right along with the standard current JAWS 13.
daughter's
Dave Carlson

Another way to look at your situation, is in how much money you
actually saved. If you had kept current, going from JAWS 6 through 15
would have been
5 SMA at $120 each for a total of $600. You got current + SMA for $100
less.

So you came out ahead. Congratulations!

Of course I'm not accounting for inflation and the value of the dollar
in all this, but still...

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello there;
Yes indeed, the thumb drive solution for jaws is a good one.
Providing you have a licenced copy running on home computer, it is merely
downloading and extracting files to a thumb drive,
Then Daughter can cary the thumb drive with her, and use it on any machine.

Hope this helps.

[...]

Sent from my Dell Latitude E6520 using Windows 7, San Francisco Bay
Area

[...]

trying to look to the future.

[...]

Brent Harding

Yes, but that machine still needs an authorization or dongle. What would be nice is if FS made a dongle that had a copy of Jaws already on it for those situations.

Another way to look at your situation, is in how much money you
actually saved. If you had kept current, going from JAWS 6 through
15 would have been
5 SMA at $120 each for a total of $600. You got current + SMA for
$100
less.

So you came out ahead. Congratulations!

Of course I'm not accounting for inflation and the value of the
dollar in all this, but still...

Dave...

Well,,

The intent of the thumb drive version is I think meant as a temporary usage
of JAWS on another machine, so I would expect that it be operating either in
40-minute mode, or operating unimpeded until the thumb drive is removed.
Anyone know which of these are true?

Dave Carlson

Yes, but that machine still needs an authorization or dongle. What would be
nice is if FS made a dongle that had a copy of Jaws already on it for those
situations.

Another way to look at your situation, is in how much money you
actually saved. If you had kept current, going from JAWS 6 through
15 would have been
5 SMA at $120 each for a total of $600. You got current + SMA for
$100
less.

So you came out ahead. Congratulations!

Of course I'm not accounting for inflation and the value of the
dollar in all this, but still...

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hi,
If your using a thumb drive
As long as you have lisence, your good to go,
You can either run in demo, or you can be authorized.
Check out,

http://freedomscientific.com/downloads/jaws/JAWS-MAGic-usb-drive.asp#downloa

Yes, but that machine still needs an authorization or dongle. What would be
nice is if FS made a dongle that had a copy of Jaws already on it for those
situations.

Another way to look at your situation, is in how much money you
actually saved. If you had kept current, going from JAWS 6 through
15 would have been
5 SMA at $120 each for a total of $600. You got current + SMA for
$100
less.

So you came out ahead. Congratulations!

Of course I'm not accounting for inflation and the value of the
dollar in all this, but still...

Dave...

David,

So if I plug my thumb drive into a non-JAWS computer and launch JAWS, does
it come up in 40-minute mode until I go to FSActivate? If yes, do I burn a
key each time?

Or conversely is the authorization already built on to the thumb drive so
that as long as it's plugged in, that computer runs an authorized version?

Dave Carlson

Yes, but that machine still needs an authorization or dongle. What would be
nice is if FS made a dongle that had a copy of Jaws already on it for those
situations.

Another way to look at your situation, is in how much money you
actually saved. If you had kept current, going from JAWS 6 through
15 would have been
5 SMA at $120 each for a total of $600. You got current + SMA for
$100
less.

So you came out ahead. Congratulations!

Of course I'm not accounting for inflation and the value of the
dollar in all this, but still...

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello Dave;

Well I could be wrong in my assumption,
However, my understanding is;
Once you've downloaded and extracted
J13.0.303_Portable-32bit.exe
Or;
J13.0.303_Portable-64bit.exe
You take this thumb drive to another computer, which doesn't have jaws
installed.
You then will need to also install the video intercept,

Next when the portable version starts,
You will be promted to activate.
Once this is done,
I think the thumb drive is useable on any computer.
Also, if one has a dongle, you would need to also have plugged into the
machine with the portable thumb drive version.

I did try, the steps, however, I wasn't inclined to burn a ILM so, I did put
my dongle in, and the thumb drive portable was activated.

Yes, but that machine still needs an authorization or dongle. What would be
nice is if FS made a dongle that had a copy of Jaws already on it for those
situations.

Another way to look at your situation, is in how much money you
actually saved. If you had kept current, going from JAWS 6 through
15 would have been
5 SMA at $120 each for a total of $600. You got current + SMA for
$100
less.

So you came out ahead. Congratulations!

Of course I'm not accounting for inflation and the value of the
dollar in all this, but still...

Dave...

David,

appreciate your willingness to work on this question.

Not trying to belabor the point, the only questions remaining from your
statement:

"I did try, the steps, however, I wasn't inclined to burn a ILM so, I did
put my dongle in, and the thumb drive portable was activated."

So that confirms that without any authorization, the Thumb drive version of
JAWS on a non-JAWS machine will indeed operate in 40-minute mode?

Then from what you've not yet tried, I'm still not sure if using an ILM key
will activate the thumb drive version of JAWS, nor whether it becomes
permanent on that thumb drive.

I still suspect that the ILM key will get burned, of course but will it
create the necessary folders/files on the thumb drive? I am down to one key
myself and like you, not willing to burn it in doing the experiment.

It's too bad no one person at FS can answer this question definitively.

Dave Carlson

Yes, but that machine still needs an authorization or dongle. What would be
nice is if FS made a dongle that had a copy of Jaws already on it for those
situations.

Another way to look at your situation, is in how much money you
actually saved. If you had kept current, going from JAWS 6 through
15 would have been
5 SMA at $120 each for a total of $600. You got current + SMA for
$100
less.

So you came out ahead. Congratulations!

Of course I'm not accounting for inflation and the value of the
dollar in all this, but still...

Soronel Haetir

No, from what I understand the ILM authorizes the machine, not the
drive. I'm not sure what the point of such a setup would be, except
perhaps cases where 40 minute mode is sufficient, or you have a dongle
or a different authorization mechanism (perhaps the transient token
distribution scheme that is available in enterprise setups?)

On 11/9/11, Farfar on Laptop <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[...]

soronel.haetir@gmail.com

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hi Dave;
I believe your assumtions are correct, if you don't authourize, then? Jaws
is in 40 minute mode, really not worth the hasel.