From: "Adrian Spratt" <Adrian@AdrianSpratt.com>
To: "'The Jaws for Windows support list.'" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2011 10:00
Subject: SMA Notice

In light of the recent discussion about JAWS SMAs, I just received notice by
email that my SMA renewal is on its way by snail mail. I assume many of us
whose SMAs run out with JAWS 13 will be receiving the email and/or the snail
mail.

I just can't wait to spend more money!

Ann Byrne

I looked at the online form to fill out to update my SMA. You can fill it out online, then snail mail it to FS. What????

In light of the recent discussion about JAWS SMAs, I just received notice by
email that my SMA renewal is on its way by snail mail. I assume many of us
whose SMAs run out with JAWS 13 will be receiving the email and/or the snail
mail.

I just can't wait to spend more money!

Joni Colver <earlybird@...>

Adrian, my ticket to climb back on board the FS train was over $500. Ouch!
That was to get 13 and an SMA for 14 and 15. I learned my lesson and plan
to stay more current with SMAs from now on.

Joni

From: "Farfar on Laptoject: Re: SMA Notice

Joni,

Another way to look at your situation, is in how much money you actually
saved. If you had kept current, going from JAWS 6 through 15 would have been
5 SMA at $120 each for a total of $600. You got current + SMA for $100 less.

So you came out ahead. Congratulations!

Of course I'm not accounting for inflation and the value of the dollar in
all this, but still...

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

You ask;

I don't see an "Unsubscribe" link here, and I want to do so. Am I just
missing it somehow?
Yep, follow the link below;

I recently upgraded from JAWS Pro 9 to JAWS Pro 13. I paid $550.00 for the
upgrade of JAWS and $200.00 for the SMA.

Dave Durber

I don't see an "Unsubscribe" link here, and I want to do so. Am I just
missing it somehow?
Yep, follow the link below;

I recently upgraded from JAWS Pro 9 to JAWS Pro 13. I paid $550.00 for the
upgrade of JAWS and $200.00 for the SMA.

Dave Durber

Joni, as you say, ouch. But for anyone who doesn't know and might be
intimidated, you were upgrading all the way from JAWS 6 to 13. As you
know,
an SMA is less than half that price so long as you keep current.

Again, I'm not commenting on FS's pricing policy, just making sure no one
is
put off more than need be.

Richard Holloway

Here's a question I have: apparently one can enable JAWS to run from a demo copy (without the demo timer turning it off) by hooking up a PAC Mate (if you have one). (A FS guy told us this at a trade show this past summer.) Well, we have a "spare" PAC Mate that we basically never use because my daughter prefers her BrailleNote Apex.

Does anyone know the deal with this? I mean, isn't demo JAWS the same as $900 JAWS that just turns off after what, 30 or 40 minutes?

We bought JAWS 9 with the SMA that got us to 11 and we're doing okay for now. I thought of buying the new SMA, but what does that gain for us? We've never called for support after the initial setup all the way from from v.9 to 10 to 11 so I'm not seeing that as a justification, and this is on a desktop machine so it isn't like we need to be mobile-- this is just plugging in a USB cable, right?

What am I missing? We've never tried this because we've always had a paid copy of JAWS and so far we haven't gone past v.11. Just trying to look to the future.

On Nov 3, 2011, at 3:54 PM, Joni Colver wrote:

[...]

Adrian Spratt

As Joni explained earlier this afternoon, there are unsung reasons to stay
current with JAWS, specifically the behind-the-scenes adjustments that FS
makes to developments on the Web.

Your daughter would soon find 40-minute mode frustrating because she'd keep
being interrupted in the middle of her thought process by the need to
reboot.

I can't comment on your Pac Mate point, and I'm not sure you want to
broadcast it, even assuming the suggestion works.

Another way to look at your situation, is in how much money you
actually saved. If you had kept current, going from JAWS 6 through 15
would have been
5 SMA at $120 each for a total of $600. You got current + SMA for $100
less.

So you came out ahead. Congratulations!

Of course I'm not accounting for inflation and the value of the dollar
in all this, but still...

Richard Holloway

What's not to broadcast? This is not a secret illegal trick. At least to two people I've spoken with at FS have made me aware of this. I get there are reasons to stay current. And I have no problem with being legal. I support it fully, but I don't support paying for more than one license for a single user of the product. My question is if I am paying over and over for the same authorizations and capacities, and it sounds like maybe I am. Perhaps several of us are if we own both JAWS and a PAC Mate.

FS, while trying to sell me a new PAC MATE told me at a trade show that a PAC Mate (a $3,000+ item I already bought before) includes a license to run a full version of JAWS so long as the PAC Mate is hooked to the computer. Unhooked JAWS would run on the computer in Demo Mode. Sort of makes sense, you can't use both machines alone if they are connected and each has JAWS installed.

As I already had a $1000 copy of JAWS 11 on the desktop machine, I had no way to test it. Sounds to me like I already spent $1000 too much when I bought JAWS and the PAC Mate at the same time as each includes apparently includes a JAWS license. Where I am unclear is as to what versions are supported by the PAC Mate connection and how this is enabled.

I have been hesitant to install a v12 or v13 demo on this machine to test as I don't want to mess anything up on the full install of v.11. I was hoping to hear from a PAC Mate user who tried this feature.

When FS called a while back to try and get me to buy a new SMA (and to upgrade to v.12, just before V.13 came out) the sales guy confirmed JAWS is included with a PAC Mate in this way, so again, I think this is quite legit., I just want to figure out any limitations and options with this feature.

Richard