not good

Brian <bvarner05@...>

Hi All. This new job doesn't seem to be working out. They've scheduled a
phone call tomorrow. They sent me a copy of our original accommodations
letter which doesn't state that they'll do whatever they can to accomodate
me, even if it means paying for a JAWS script to make their platform
accessible. I told them over the phone that I wouldn't know if I could do
the work until they installed the software and gave it a try but who cares.
If I didn't write that out in legal language it doesn't count. The new JAWS
13 seems to have brought new issues with it in some cases so it's hard to
know who to blame, as if assigning blame would help at this point.

My stomach is in knots. I hope I'm not screwed but until that hopey changey
stuff kicks in, reckon I'll be living in a cardboard box on the street.

hannah day <hannahday2009@...>

Hi Brian and all

Aw no sorry to hear that i hope things improve chat soon hanah

Hannah Day
E-mail and Facebook: hannahday2009@googlemail.com
MSN hannahday1989@hotmail.co.uk
Skype: hannahday

On 01/11/2011 16:56, Brian wrote:
Hi All. This new job doesn't seem to be working out. They've scheduled a
phone call tomorrow. They sent me a copy of our original accommodations
letter which doesn't state that they'll do whatever they can to accomodate
me, even if it means paying for a JAWS script to make their platform
accessible. I told them over the phone that I wouldn't know if I could do
the work until they installed the software and gave it a try but who cares.
If I didn't write that out in legal language it doesn't count. The new JAWS
13 seems to have brought new issues with it in some cases so it's hard to
know who to blame, as if assigning blame would help at this point.

My stomach is in knots. I hope I'm not screwed but until that hopey changey
stuff kicks in, reckon I'll be living in a cardboard box on the street.

George B

Here we go again with the jaws chat room...lol

[...]

Joni Colver <earlybird@...>

Brian, I am so sorry to hear that JAWS is not working out with this new
program. I am in touch with someone about a place that might be hiring. I
will write to you privately with more information when I get a response from
her.

Joni

Hi All. This new job doesn't seem to be working out. They've scheduled a
phone call tomorrow. They sent me a copy of our original accommodations
letter which doesn't state that they'll do whatever they can to accomodate
me, even if it means paying for a JAWS script to make their platform
accessible. I told them over the phone that I wouldn't know if I could do
the work until they installed the software and gave it a try but who cares.
If I didn't write that out in legal language it doesn't count. The new JAWS
13 seems to have brought new issues with it in some cases so it's hard to
know who to blame, as if assigning blame would help at this point.

My stomach is in knots. I hope I'm not screwed but until that hopey changey
stuff kicks in, reckon I'll be living in a cardboard box on the street.

michael capelle <michael.capelle@...>

lol, i agree.

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Brian,

I'll risk this one off-topic reply out of concern for your predicament. Keep
in mind that the Americans with Disabilities Act's accommodations are not a
contractual matter. So don't get cornered into an impossible position based
on the contract.

I'd also urge you to assume the best. Start working with the software. Don't
hold yourself back for fear that it might not work for you. If you do run
into problems with it, people on this list will help, and they've already
responded to your earlier queries. FS will almost certainly also help.
Contact Brian Carver there. He has shown many JAWS users a willingness to
extend himself and FS's resources.

If worst comes to worst, contact the American Council of the Blind, in
Washington, D.C., or your local ACB affiliate. There's also the American
Association of Visually Impaired Attorneys, AAVIA, which is affiliated with
ACB.

Good luck to you.

Hi All. This new job doesn't seem to be working out. They've scheduled a
phone call tomorrow. They sent me a copy of our original accommodations
letter which doesn't state that they'll do whatever they can to accomodate
me, even if it means paying for a JAWS script to make their platform
accessible. I told them over the phone that I wouldn't know if I could do
the work until they installed the software and gave it a try but who cares.
If I didn't write that out in legal language it doesn't count. The new JAWS
13 seems to have brought new issues with it in some cases so it's hard to
know who to blame, as if assigning blame would help at this point.

My stomach is in knots. I hope I'm not screwed but until that hopey changey
stuff kicks in, reckon I'll be living in a cardboard box on the street.

Dave...

...and what are we being asked to do? I hope not to contribute to your
costs.

Where does this come from, what job are you talking about, and let us know
what happens.

Dave Carlson

Hi All. This new job doesn't seem to be working out. They've scheduled a
phone call tomorrow. They sent me a copy of our original accommodations
letter which doesn't state that they'll do whatever they can to accomodate
me, even if it means paying for a JAWS script to make their platform
accessible. I told them over the phone that I wouldn't know if I could do
the work until they installed the software and gave it a try but who cares.
If I didn't write that out in legal language it doesn't count. The new JAWS
13 seems to have brought new issues with it in some cases so it's hard to
know who to blame, as if assigning blame would help at this point.

My stomach is in knots. I hope I'm not screwed but until that hopey changey
stuff kicks in, reckon I'll be living in a cardboard box on the street.

Tom Lange

Lol, eh? Doesn't sound at all funny to me. Times are tough these days even for those of us with good jobs, so I can empathize with people who are living from paycheck to paycheck or who are out of work and within a hair's breadth of living on the streets. That's no laughing matter for sighted folks and it sure isn't funny for blind guys. I'll grant you that this isn't a chat room but you've got no call to dismiss this guy's plight in such a flippant manner. Shame on you!

Tom

Tom

[...]

2.g.i <2.g.i.84972@...>

well said Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "George B" <gbmagoo@comcast.net>
[...]

Cowle, Jodi <JCowle@...>

This is a real issue, because there are no guarantees that JAWS or any screen reader will work with a company/agency's software; and in these poor economic times employers want guarantees before they'll hire. I will not go into my situation as I know I'm walking the line here, but lists like this are so important as we can share and learn and hopefully get some ideas about where we can fit in this world where everywhere we go we must face some computer application and figure out how to make it work for us.

[...]

soner

İf people share their Jaws related issues including those ones in their workplaces, could İ learn what is wrong in it? if no conversation should not occur or be labled as chatting, what was your aim at creating this list?
Regards

Mike Mote <mikemote@...>

If i could I will add one more thing. If you tell recruiters or the prospective employer you are blind before you get the interview, you won't get the interview. It's discrimination, but there's no way to prove it. Just sayin!