Beyond Text medical transcription software

Brian <bvarner05@...>

Hi Joni,

Thanks for responding. I was previously using ChartNet for medical
transcription. The company I was working for lost the account and 20 or so
people were laid off. The hospital was acquired by another health care
group who uses a different medical transcription service, and another
platform. Since I've been on these accounts for 6 years, I was hired by the
new company. I am being trained to do both straight transcription work and
speech recognition editing. I'm struggling with parts that require mouse
clicking, but starting to make progress. I updated to JAWS 13 and the
latest version of Magic Pro this week. I'm at best, a bad JAWS user so I'm
reviewing some help files on keyboard commands. Beyond Text is partly an IE
based program with a separate application called T2K which I just used
successfully today for the first time with the help of the trainer over the
phone. Of course, she isn't used to training someone who uses JAWS so our
terminology isn't always the same. We are both relatively new to this new
company. I'm brand new and she's had 8 weeks on the job. In Beyond Text,
there are a "plethora" of dialogue boxes. Each one has it' sown set of
keyboard shortcuts specific to it. One uses "alt-a" to add a doc's name to
a cc list, even though this is the command for opening up the Favorites menu
on the IE tool bar. In the manual, it sates "do not open Favorites or it
will close Beyond text." Of course when I used "alt-a" Beyond text shut
down. While this is an obvious keyboard conflict, alt-a seems to work for
my trainer on her computer and she hasn't heard of anyone else having this
problem. A friend of mine who is a programmer said he couldn't find any
information on disabling this keyboard shortcut in Internet Explorer.
There's an add button that I am not sure works right now, but will find out
today and report back.

By the way, I use Outlook Express and don't know how to search through the
body of the email to find things, so any help on that would be appreciated
too.

Thanks,
Brian

Joni Colver <earlybird@...>

Hi Brian,

That sounds like a challenging situation. The good part is that, from my
understanding of your message, you will be working with a familiar account
once you conquer the new platform. That is better than learning new
platform and a new account all at once.

I am not much of a techie so I don't have any suggestion for dealing with
the alt a dilemma. Is there a dialog box you use to add a cc? Maybe
navigating directly to the add button would work better than the alt a
shortcut.

Sometimes I can route the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor and then do a left
mouse click and activate things I could not otherwise activate. You do the
routing by hitting insert and the JAWS cursor on the num pad. That is the
upper right corner of the num pad. Then try the left mouse click, which is
the numb pad slash, the second key on the upper row of the num pad.

You can turn on keyboard help by hitting insert and the number 1 on the
number row. When you do that then you can press any key or key combination
and JAWS will tell you what it does but will not carry out any action. You
turn keyboard help off the same way you turn it on, insert plus 1 on the
numbers row.

When you want to search for something in an email message with JAWS, hold
down insert and control then hit f. Type what you are looking for and hit
enter. If you want to find the next occurrence of that word just hit F3.

There are some experienced JAWS users on this list so if you run into JAWS
specific issues this is a good place to ask for help.

I also shared your message with the lady who trained me for my current job.
I will definitely keep my ears open and if I come across anything that might
be of help I will contact you.

I wish I could be of more concrete help, but I admire you for tackling a
tough problem and I hope you have success.

Joni

George Marshall

Brian I know nothing about your medical software but so far as your "alt+A", there is a JAWS bypass key "insert+3" key that will bypass the jaws key and allow you to use a software shortcut,.
HTH,
George R. Marshall
marshall.geoma4@gmail.com

[...]

Ann Marie Medlar <amedlar1@...>

Hi Brian,
Would you have a link that I could test your platform with Jaws? Must you use IE or is Firefox an option?