From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Dondi
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:00 AM
To: JAWS mailing list
Subject: JAWS 13

Hello,

Does anyone have any opinions about this new JAWS version 13? Is this a
winner and considered a must have?

zidnod

Dave...

Opinions...

1. The JAWS 13 release version is a bit unstable, compared to the last JAWS
13 beta before release. A couple lockups, and one stuttering crash. Never
had a stuttering crash with JAWS 12.

2. Notice that when closing the first html message after a launch of Outlook
2007 there is a very noticeable delay of 5 to 10 seconds before JAWS comes
back speaking. Have noticed this also after closing the first PDF document
after loading Acrobat, as well. Seems like JAWS 13 needs to do some
housekeeping to get things organized. Quad core CPU, by the way.

3. Convenient OCR is pretty good, but not a panacea. I've not have any
success using it to identify a single control, but it has helped when
reading window/screen with some installation programs. Try it with Adobe
Flash the next time it comes up. Don't bother using it for captchas.
4. Stock quotes work again.

Dave Carlson

Does anyone have any opinions about this new JAWS version 13? Is this a
winner and considered a must have?

zidnod

Charles Coe

Yes I would wait awhile until FS gets the bugs out. I am sure there will be
upgrades in this one.

Charles

Does anyone have any opinions about this new JAWS version 13? Is this a
winner and considered a must have?

zidnod

Charles Coe

Are these opinions being directed to FS as well?

Charles

Does anyone have any opinions about this new JAWS version 13? Is this a
winner and considered a must have?

zidnod

Cristóbal

I am noticing that the newer versions of JFW 13 including the final release
is having more issues with Firefox again. I even did those steps in the FS
bulletin, but Firefox still goes unresponsive and still crashes with Jaws
going quiet. This wasn't as much the case in the first one or two beta
releases.

Yes I would wait awhile until FS gets the bugs out. I am sure there will be
upgrades in this one.

Charles

Does anyone have any opinions about this new JAWS version 13? Is this a
winner and considered a must have?

zidnod

dennis <dennis.cornelison@...>

well i'm using it on two xp pro machines and am having no trouble what so ever.

Yes I would wait awhile until FS gets the bugs out. I am sure there will be
upgrades in this one.

Charles

Does anyone have any opinions about this new JAWS version 13? Is this a
winner and considered a must have?

zidnod

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

i think it's worth it for the many fixes with the Office applications, the OCR function etc.

At 07:59 AM 10/27/2011, you wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone have any opinions about this new JAWS version 13? Is this a
winner and considered a must have?

zidnod

Clear True Sound
www.ctsmastering.com
and be sure to "like us" on Facebook:

chris hallsworth <christopherh40@...>

It's pretty good, however I have better things to spend my money on so will not upgrade or renew my SMA at this time. Let's just say the new features are what should have been in JAWS 11 or 12 instead of Research It lol. Only joking of course. But yes JAWS 13 is a pretty decent release so far for what I use it for.

Chris Hallsworth
Sent from Thunderbird

On 27/10/2011 12:59, Dondi wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone have any opinions about this new JAWS version 13? Is this a
winner and considered a must have?

zidnod

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

At the suggestion of the list, I looked at thunder. Limited as it is,
it may just be the little engine that could on Access. It can't read
column headers, but JFW can, so bring on 13!

i think it's worth it for the many fixes with the Office
applications, the OCR function etc.

At 07:59 AM 10/27/2011, you wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone have any opinions about this new JAWS version 13? Is
this a
winner and considered a must have?

zidnod

Clear True Sound
www.ctsmastering.com
and be sure to "like us" on Facebook:

dave grossoehme

It's nice to know that I'm not the only person with a problem with Jaws 13. I co ntacted Freedom Scientific about my problem this molrn ing and had to leave a voice message. I've received no response from them yet. I can't even get Jaws 13 to go out of bata mode. I checked with them on my SMa and it's suppose to be good for 13 and 14 yet. I even tried to reinstall the program a second time to no avail. Their authorization program does no good either. Has anyone else come across this problem?
Your Friend Dave

Does anyone have any opinions about this new JAWS version 13? Is this a
winner and considered a must have?

zidnod

Dave...

Dave,

I recommend:

1. Download the new JAWS 13 from the FS web site and put on your hard drive.
2. remove JAWS 13 and go back to your previous version. Do not remove shared
components.
3. Run the executable JAWS 13 file and do a clean install.

JAWS 13 should automatically use your current authorization and not require
you to re-authorize.

Good luck, and next time don't leave a message for FS tech support -- stay
on the line until you get someone.

Dave Carlson

Does anyone have any opinions about this new JAWS version 13? Is this a
winner and considered a must have?

zidnod

Curtis Delzer

While I am reading messages in Eudora, when I delete the first message, it re-reads the last line I am focused on in the message before beginning to read the next message. If I tap the "next sentence" key while auto-reading, (the right shift key), it often stops and then goes to the next message, but it is kind of problematic when I do that.
If I change the view to Eudora's internal viewer, it matters not, still the same behavior. This did not happen in the betas, only with the full release of JAWS13. It does not happen using JAWS12 or earlier.

Curtis Delzer

W B 6 H E F

At 06:59 AM 10/27/2011, you wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone have any opinions about this new JAWS version 13? Is this a
winner and considered a must have?

zidnod

Dave...

Curtis,

I've had a similar issue with the JAWS 13 release vs. the last beta, in
Excel. Have you reported your issue to FS?

Dave Carlson

[...]

I believe it has been reported, though they "don't support Eudora" since it is not updated since 2006.

At 07:10 AM 10/28/2011, you wrote:
[...]

That's not surprising. Same attitude w/r MS-Access. Interestingly also the
same attitude w/r XP Mode in Windows 7 -- not supported. But works with a
major competitor, I've heard.

Dave Carlson

[...]

Hi,

If FS does not support Eudora then why do they list it as one of the 174
applications that work with JAWS? (refer to setting center)

Charles

[...]

Well, I guess "works with" and "works correctly with" are two different
viewpoints.

Dave Carlson

[...]

Hi Dave,

Actually, under JAWS Help Eudora is listed as supported, well at least
versions 6.x and 7.x while support for other versions may vary.

Charles

[...]

there are lots of older programs listed there; the Cakewalk Sonar item is probably out of date too.

At 12:44 PM 10/28/2011, you wrote:
Hi,

If FS does not support Eudora then why do they list it as one of the 174
applications that work with JAWS? (refer to setting center)

Charles

I believe it has been reported, though they "don't support Eudora"
since it is not updated since 2006.

At 07:10 AM 10/28/2011, you wrote:
Curtis,

I've had a similar issue with the JAWS 13 release vs. the last
beta, in
Excel. Have you reported your issue to FS?

Dave Carlson
Sent from my Dell Latitude E6520 using Windows 7, San Francisco
Bay Area