Topics

Weird keyboard behavior during remote access

Kimber Gardner

Hi All,

Not sure how many of you have used Jaws for remote access, but I would
appreciate any help.

When I'm signed on to my work computer via a vpn using remote desktop,
occasionally the alt key seems to stick. That is whenever I press any
key I first hear "alt" followed by the name of the key be that up
arrow or whatever. The only way to unstick the alt key is to reboot
the local computer.

Is there another method for resetting the keyboard and unsticking the alt key?

Thanks,
Kim

Dave...

Kimber,

Stuck modifier keys is a very common occurrence (at least for me with all my
different versions of JAWS and hardware). It's been around since JAWS 3.5
and my old HP pavilion with Windows 2000.

That said, it happens most often for me after using Openbook.

Your case is not unusual.

Don't reboot. Just alternately rapidly tap each of the modifier keys one at
a time. e.g. left alt, right alt, left alt right alt etc. several times in
succession. Then do the same with control, shift, and the windows keys. If
you don't have one of these as a pair, just tap the individual key rapidly.

This sounds crazy but it does unstick the key.

It's not a mechanical problem. It's related to the key code decoding in the
JAWS processing. At least that's what FS support has said for several years.

Dave Carlson

Not sure how many of you have used Jaws for remote access, but I would
appreciate any help.

When I'm signed on to my work computer via a vpn using remote desktop,
occasionally the alt key seems to stick. That is whenever I press any
key I first hear "alt" followed by the name of the key be that up
arrow or whatever. The only way to unstick the alt key is to reboot
the local computer.

Is there another method for resetting the keyboard and unsticking the alt
key?

Thanks,
Kim

Kimber Gardner

Thanks Dave. Hmm, interesting that they seem to know what causes it
yet it hasn't been fixed in all these releases.

I'll try the key tap solution next time it happens.

Thanks again

On 10/24/11, Farfar on Laptop <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[...]

Kimberly

Dave...

Kimber,

Knowing that there is a problem has never been an issue for FS.
Owning up to their contribution to it, is another matter. They have
traditionally blamed the Microsoft key handler as the real problem, but I
don't hear my sighted colleagues ever mentioning sticky keys.

Go figure, and just consider how FS's Openbook leave behind a sticky Control
key as a glaring indictment of the ownership.

You're right. After all these years, it would be easy for FS to build in an
un-stick subroutine in their scripts or underlying code.

Dave Carlson

Not sure how many of you have used Jaws for remote access, but I would
appreciate any help.

When I'm signed on to my work computer via a vpn using remote desktop,
occasionally the alt key seems to stick. That is whenever I press any
key I first hear "alt" followed by the name of the key be that up
arrow or whatever. The only way to unstick the alt key is to reboot
the local computer.

Is there another method for resetting the keyboard and unsticking the alt
key?

Thanks,
Kim

Kimberly

Curtis Delzer

JFW has had this issue for years where either the ALT key or the CONTROL keys stick. The only solution is to seriously, :) tap the offending key several times, and if on a remote machine, I don't know how you would do that from your location. :)

If it happens on your local machine, just tap the offending key many times and it clears up, eventually, though you'll have some weird key combinations before you figure out that there is a key sticking, not mechanically sticking, just electronically in JFW'S keyboard driver.
I've not seen that in other screen readers, and it does not happen often with JFW, but when it does, you'll know. :)

Curtis Delzer

At 06:35 AM 10/24/2011, you wrote:
Hi All,

Not sure how many of you have used Jaws for remote access, but I would
appreciate any help.

When I'm signed on to my work computer via a vpn using remote desktop,
occasionally the alt key seems to stick. That is whenever I press any
key I first hear "alt" followed by the name of the key be that up
arrow or whatever. The only way to unstick the alt key is to reboot
the local computer.

Is there another method for resetting the keyboard and unsticking the alt key?

Thanks,
Kim

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

If beating it to death doesn't work (and sometimes it doesn't) dumping
and reloading JAWS will. It's drastic, but it works.

[...]

Sent from my Dell Latitude E6520 using Windows 7, San Francisco Bay
Area
Not sure how many of you have used Jaws for remote access, but I would
appreciate any help.

When I'm signed on to my work computer via a vpn using remote desktop,
occasionally the alt key seems to stick. That is whenever I press any
key I first hear "alt" followed by the name of the key be that up
arrow or whatever. The only way to unstick the alt key is to reboot
the local computer.

Is there another method for resetting the keyboard and unsticking the
alt
key?

Thanks,
Kim

Kimberly

Kimber Gardner

Hi Debby,

I have version 12 on both the local computer and on the server.

I don't see this sticky key problem in any application except during
remote access sessions. But as I said, when it happens it screws up an
entire session, rendering the keyboard virtually inoperable to the
point that I can't even properly reboot the system but have to turn it
off and back on again.