From: Blake
Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2011 6:27 AM
To: jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
Subject: several questions

Dear all,

I am currently using Window Eyes, and intend to switch to Jaws before the end of the year.

I was just wondering a few things that some people on this list may be able to assist me with.

1. How do I obtain a quote (in Australian dollars) to purchase the latest version?

2. How do I read from start to finish of a document/webpage?

3. What are some general keyboard shortcuts that it is handy to know about?

I am a first-time poster to this list, so if you could please indicate you have read it by ticking yes to the dialog box in this message, that would be simply fantastic!!

Cheers, Blake Ison, Sunshine coast, Queensland, Australia.

Holger Fiallo
Kind Regard

Dave...

Blake,

Welcome aboard.

1. How do I obtain a quote (in Australian dollars) to purchase the latest
version?

- Not sure in your region. There may be a dealer for Freedom Scientific, and
I recommend you work through them for your purchases, licenses, etc. If you
send a question to Freedom Scientific via support@freedomscientific.com you
should get an answer in a business day's time.

2. How do I read from start to finish of a document/webpage?

- JAWS uses the numpad keys a lot in its general reading commands. Also
alternate commands are used on a laptop. Reading a web page top-to-bottom
can actually occur automatically if you have JAWS set to its defaults. But
as another lister has said Insert with the numpad downarrow (2) is one way
to read the whole page.

- Also in web pages there are several single-letter commands that jump you
to links, tables, lists, headings, non-links, etc. Very efficient way to get
to the important parts of a web page. JAWS also has a feature that allows it
to automatically revert to edit mode when you land on a form field.

3. What are some general keyboard shortcuts that it is handy to know about?

- That's a hard question. Reading the current line is Insert+uparrow.
Reading the previous word or punctuation is Insert+leftarrow. Reading down a
page line-by-line is just the downarrow. Again the Insert+xxx are on the
numpad. but just reading line-by-line could be either the numpad downarrow
or the cursor downarrow. Again the numpad is used a lot but there are also
alternates on a laptop keyboard. Best suggestion is that you download the
current JAWS 12 demo file from the web site. I know that someone said to
download the latest JAWS 13 beta, but that will convert to a released
product soon and then will revert to the same demo mode. For just starting,
there's no point in overloading you with beta issues.

- You didn't tell us what operating system you're using. I'm presuming
Windows but which? Running XP Pro or Windows 7 Pro/Enterprise/Ultimate all
require JAWS Professional, which is more expensive. You need to decide that
before you jump in.

- The web site is www.freedomscientific.com and to get to the JAWS demo
click on "blindness products" "downloads" "JAWS" and then you should be on
the page with the JAWS 12 free demo download. The demo will run 40 minutes
and then you need to reboot to do some more. A bit irritating, but gives you
an idea.

I am a first-time poster to this list, so if you could please indicate you
have read it by ticking yes to the dialog box in this message, that would be
simply fantastic!!

D- don't know about a dialog box, so you will have to accept my word of
honor that I read your message.

Dave Carlson

I am currently using Window Eyes, and intend to switch to Jaws before the
end of the year.

I was just wondering a few things that some people on this list may be able
to assist me with.

1. How do I obtain a quote (in Australian dollars) to purchase the latest
version?

2. How do I read from start to finish of a document/webpage?

3. What are some general keyboard shortcuts that it is handy to know about?

I am a first-time poster to this list, so if you could please indicate you
have read it by ticking yes to the dialog box in this message, that would be
simply fantastic!!

Cheers, Blake Ison, Sunshine coast, Queensland, Australia.

Blake <blake@...>

Thanks a lot for this, it is much appreciated.

the first jaws has a thing in researcher that can help with the first. doing insert down arrow you can read the document. get the jaws beta 13 from freedom scientific. Also jaws 13 has basic training files that you can listen or read.