JAWS and .pdf


Adrian Spratt
 

Robert, your current message, which is clear, shows that I did, indeed,
misinterpret your earlier post. In turn, your reply to my message partially
misinterprets mine. So be it. Rather than take offense that something you
have carefully composed has been misunderstood, perhaps you could take heart
that contributors to this list make an effort to get things right. Each of
us who posts regularly have had our ideas corrected, as we have corrected
those posted by others. Even so, I agree, it's important to try to get it
right the first time. I will tell you that your previous message wasn't as
clear as you believe, but I do wish I'd read it correctly.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of robert hebert
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:01 PM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Subject: RE: JAWS and .pdf

You are mistaken my friend. I have done this procedure nearly 100 times and
have never been unable to read the .txt file once converted.
If you read my message carefully, I did not say to rename the file with a
.txt extension--that definitely does not work but letting an OCR program
rename the file does work because the OCR program is not simply renaming the
file but is in fact converting the file into another format. And yes, there
are a number of options that a file can be converted to but when converting
and forwarding a file any computer can read a file with a .txt extension.
This is why I seldom post to this list because I have rarely found that my
messages are completely read. I have spent a great deal of time in writing
the message with a lengthy and thorough explanation;so, Until you've taken
time to read and understand it fully, please don't make erroneous comments
about it.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: October-18-11 9:44 AM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Subject: RE: JAWS and .pdf

This isn't completely correct. Renaming a PDF file that JAWS calls "empty"
with a .txt extension won't necessarily make it readable. In my experience,
it never does. An "empty" PDF file must be converted with an OCR program.

Although I'm not a Kurzweil user, I'd also modify the first part of your
message. I assume Kurzweil, like other OCR devices, gives you the option of
converting to other formats, such as .txt, .rtf, etc. If that isn't the case
with Kurzweil, it's a serious limitation and a reason I wouldn't buy it.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of robert hebert
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:41 AM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Subject: RE: JAWS and .pdf

It is quite common for pdf documents to be interpreted by screen-reading
software as empty documents. This is because the pdf file is what is called
an image file. In effect, adobe takes a snapshot of the sender's file and
sends that snapshot to the receiving computer. Although a sighted person
sees text on the screen, Jaws or other speech readers do not hence Jaws, for
instance reports the image as an empty document.
Solution: Scanning software has at least 2 solutions for this problem:
Using Kurzweil scanning software I can print the image document to the
virtual printer. What happens here is that the scanning program scans the
screen as if one had a document on the scanner. Each page of your document
will be virtually scanned in this way and at the end you will be asked to
accept an assigned file name or enter a new one. When saved in this way,
only computers with Kurzweil software will be able to read a document in
this format. I believe that most, if not all software scanning programs do a
similar procedure though I have only used Kurzweil.
The second and just a bit more involved solution is to move the "empty" pdf
file to a folder where you usually keep your documents then using your
scanning software (assuming you have it) select that file through your
scanning program's menu, and save it as a file with a .txt extension. Now
your file will be saved as a text document and at this point, Jaws or any
other screen reading program will be able to read that file.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Ann Marie Medlar
Sent: October-18-11 7:23 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf

When that happens to me I open .pdf using Openbook scanning software. Hope
you have some scanning software.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Smart" <csmart8@cogeco.ca>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf


i'm not sure what you mean by an empty document that is readable.
If it's empty, there would be nothing to read??

At 04:10 PM 10/17/2011, you wrote:
Is there any way to make a .pdf document which shows up as an empty
document readable by JAWS?

TL

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

--------------------------------------------------
CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING Clear True Sound
www.ctsmastering.com and be sure to "like us" on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CTS-Mastering/139114066128698

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


Dave...
 

Okay, okay, we get your point Robert. The responder clearly made a mistake,
and in truth your original message was not extremely clear, in any case.

And just to prove that I read your entire message:

"This is why I seldom post to this list because I have rarely found that my
messages are completely read. I have spent a great deal of time in writing
the message with a lengthy and thorough explanation;so, Until you've taken
time to read and understand it fully, please don't make erroneous comments
about it."

We don't need a monolog on how to read your messages. Mistakes happen, and
it's usually not a direct attack on you as a writer. And if you are
sensitive to how people read or not read your messages, then you may not be
happy with the general population of lists, in general -- blind or not.

Dave Carlson
Sent from my Dell Latitude E6520 using Windows 7, San Francisco Bay Area

----- Original Message -----
From: "robert hebert" <roberthebert@telus.net>
To: "'The Jaws for Windows support list.'" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:00
Subject: RE: JAWS and .pdf


You are mistaken my friend. I have done this procedure nearly 100 times and
have never been unable to read the .txt file once converted.
If you read my message carefully, I did not say to rename the file with a
.txt extension--that definitely does not work but letting an OCR program
rename the file does work because the OCR program is not simply renaming the
file but is in fact converting the file into another format. And yes, there
are a number of options that a file can be converted to but when converting
and forwarding a file any computer can read a file with a .txt extension.
This is why I seldom post to this list because I have rarely found that my
messages are completely read. I have spent a great deal of time in writing
the message with a lengthy and thorough explanation;so, Until you've taken
time to read and understand it fully, please don't make erroneous comments
about it.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: October-18-11 9:44 AM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Subject: RE: JAWS and .pdf

This isn't completely correct. Renaming a PDF file that JAWS calls "empty"
with a .txt extension won't necessarily make it readable. In my experience,
it never does. An "empty" PDF file must be converted with an OCR program.

Although I'm not a Kurzweil user, I'd also modify the first part of your
message. I assume Kurzweil, like other OCR devices, gives you the option of
converting to other formats, such as .txt, .rtf, etc. If that isn't the case
with Kurzweil, it's a serious limitation and a reason I wouldn't buy it.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of robert hebert
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:41 AM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Subject: RE: JAWS and .pdf

It is quite common for pdf documents to be interpreted by screen-reading
software as empty documents. This is because the pdf file is what is called
an image file. In effect, adobe takes a snapshot of the sender's file and
sends that snapshot to the receiving computer. Although a sighted person
sees text on the screen, Jaws or other speech readers do not hence Jaws, for
instance reports the image as an empty document.
Solution: Scanning software has at least 2 solutions for this problem:
Using Kurzweil scanning software I can print the image document to the
virtual printer. What happens here is that the scanning program scans the
screen as if one had a document on the scanner. Each page of your document
will be virtually scanned in this way and at the end you will be asked to
accept an assigned file name or enter a new one. When saved in this way,
only computers with Kurzweil software will be able to read a document in
this format. I believe that most, if not all software scanning programs do a
similar procedure though I have only used Kurzweil.
The second and just a bit more involved solution is to move the "empty" pdf
file to a folder where you usually keep your documents then using your
scanning software (assuming you have it) select that file through your
scanning program's menu, and save it as a file with a .txt extension. Now
your file will be saved as a text document and at this point, Jaws or any
other screen reading program will be able to read that file.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Ann Marie Medlar
Sent: October-18-11 7:23 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf

When that happens to me I open .pdf using Openbook scanning software. Hope
you have some scanning software.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Smart" <csmart8@cogeco.ca>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf


i'm not sure what you mean by an empty document that is readable.
If it's empty, there would be nothing to read??

At 04:10 PM 10/17/2011, you wrote:
Is there any way to make a .pdf document which shows up as an empty
document readable by JAWS?

TL

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

--------------------------------------------------
CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING Clear True Sound
www.ctsmastering.com and be sure to "like us" on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CTS-Mastering/139114066128698

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


robert hebert <roberthebert@...>
 

That is correct, the "empty document" message ins in fact coming from Jaws
as the program does not see any on-screen text, as I explained in my
message. From Adobe's point of view, the file is not empty--it is an image
file but in this case, the image is a snapshot of the print page and not a
photograph.
Jaws 13 will address this issue to some degree though as Freedom points out,
they are not releasing a full-blown ocr program.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: October-18-11 1:40 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf

Could the "empty Document" message in Adobe programs be coming from JAWS
instead of Adobe.

Because there is no text information in the document, JAWS thinks the
document is blank, when in fact, it is not. Which is why JAWS is giving the

empty document message.

Sincerely:

Dave durber

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerald Levy" <bwaylimited@verizon.net>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf



The empty document message means that Adobe Reader is unable to read the
document because it contains graphics that Adobe Reader cannot interpret.
If you have Open Book, selecting the Freedom Import Printer option from
the Adobe Reader Print menu will launch Open Book to scan the document and
attempt to convert the text contained within the graphics into speech
using OCR. The new convenient OCR feature of JAWS 13 will supposedly
accomplish the same thing, but my understanding is that this feature works
best on web page graphics, not document graphics. Has anyone successfully
converted an empty document into speech using the convenient OCR feature
of JAWS 13?

Gerald


----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Smart" <csmart8@cogeco.ca>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf


i'm not sure what you mean by an empty document that is readable.
If it's empty, there would be nothing to read??

At 04:10 PM 10/17/2011, you wrote:
Is there any way to make a .pdf document which shows up as an empty
document readable by JAWS?

TL

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

--------------------------------------------------
CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING
Clear True Sound
www.ctsmastering.com
and be sure to "like us" on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CTS-Mastering/139114066128698

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


robert hebert <roberthebert@...>
 

You are mistaken my friend. I have done this procedure nearly 100 times and
have never been unable to read the .txt file once converted.
If you read my message carefully, I did not say to rename the file with a
.txt extension--that definitely does not work but letting an OCR program
rename the file does work because the OCR program is not simply renaming the
file but is in fact converting the file into another format. And yes, there
are a number of options that a file can be converted to but when converting
and forwarding a file any computer can read a file with a .txt extension.
This is why I seldom post to this list because I have rarely found that my
messages are completely read. I have spent a great deal of time in writing
the message with a lengthy and thorough explanation;so, Until you've taken
time to read and understand it fully, please don't make erroneous comments
about it.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: October-18-11 9:44 AM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Subject: RE: JAWS and .pdf

This isn't completely correct. Renaming a PDF file that JAWS calls "empty"
with a .txt extension won't necessarily make it readable. In my experience,
it never does. An "empty" PDF file must be converted with an OCR program.

Although I'm not a Kurzweil user, I'd also modify the first part of your
message. I assume Kurzweil, like other OCR devices, gives you the option of
converting to other formats, such as .txt, .rtf, etc. If that isn't the case
with Kurzweil, it's a serious limitation and a reason I wouldn't buy it.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of robert hebert
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:41 AM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Subject: RE: JAWS and .pdf

It is quite common for pdf documents to be interpreted by screen-reading
software as empty documents. This is because the pdf file is what is called
an image file. In effect, adobe takes a snapshot of the sender's file and
sends that snapshot to the receiving computer. Although a sighted person
sees text on the screen, Jaws or other speech readers do not hence Jaws, for
instance reports the image as an empty document.
Solution: Scanning software has at least 2 solutions for this problem:
Using Kurzweil scanning software I can print the image document to the
virtual printer. What happens here is that the scanning program scans the
screen as if one had a document on the scanner. Each page of your document
will be virtually scanned in this way and at the end you will be asked to
accept an assigned file name or enter a new one. When saved in this way,
only computers with Kurzweil software will be able to read a document in
this format. I believe that most, if not all software scanning programs do a
similar procedure though I have only used Kurzweil.
The second and just a bit more involved solution is to move the "empty" pdf
file to a folder where you usually keep your documents then using your
scanning software (assuming you have it) select that file through your
scanning program's menu, and save it as a file with a .txt extension. Now
your file will be saved as a text document and at this point, Jaws or any
other screen reading program will be able to read that file.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Ann Marie Medlar
Sent: October-18-11 7:23 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf

When that happens to me I open .pdf using Openbook scanning software. Hope
you have some scanning software.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Smart" <csmart8@cogeco.ca>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf


i'm not sure what you mean by an empty document that is readable.
If it's empty, there would be nothing to read??

At 04:10 PM 10/17/2011, you wrote:
Is there any way to make a .pdf document which shows up as an empty
document readable by JAWS?

TL

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

--------------------------------------------------
CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING Clear True Sound
www.ctsmastering.com and be sure to "like us" on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CTS-Mastering/139114066128698

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>
 

I get about 3 or 4 of these a day. Someone has scanned a document to PDF using a "scan to image" setting. This means that, to sighted users, it looks like a normal PDF document. Only someone with an experienced eye can tell the difference; however, if a sighted user tries to highlight and copy text, that user will discover there is something wrong. There is no text -- just a series of page images.
You can use OpenBook, OmniPage, PDF converter, or any one of I don't know how many OCR packages to convert these images to text with your degree of success depending on the clarity of the scan.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of David
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:36 PM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Subject: RE: JAWS and .pdf

Hello there;
No, I highly doubt the pdf document is blank.
There's probably text up on the screen, however, jaws is seeing the pdf as a
graphic, thus,
Blank document.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:40 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf

Could the "empty Document" message in Adobe programs be coming from JAWS
instead of Adobe.

Because there is no text information in the document, JAWS thinks the
document is blank, when in fact, it is not. Which is why JAWS is giving the

empty document message.

Sincerely:

Dave durber

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerald Levy" <bwaylimited@verizon.net>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf



The empty document message means that Adobe Reader is unable to read the
document because it contains graphics that Adobe Reader cannot interpret.
If you have Open Book, selecting the Freedom Import Printer option from
the Adobe Reader Print menu will launch Open Book to scan the document and
attempt to convert the text contained within the graphics into speech
using OCR. The new convenient OCR feature of JAWS 13 will supposedly
accomplish the same thing, but my understanding is that this feature works
best on web page graphics, not document graphics. Has anyone successfully
converted an empty document into speech using the convenient OCR feature
of JAWS 13?

Gerald


----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Smart" <csmart8@cogeco.ca>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf


i'm not sure what you mean by an empty document that is readable.
If it's empty, there would be nothing to read??

At 04:10 PM 10/17/2011, you wrote:
Is there any way to make a .pdf document which shows up as an empty
document readable by JAWS?

TL

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

--------------------------------------------------
CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING
Clear True Sound
www.ctsmastering.com
and be sure to "like us" on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CTS-Mastering/139114066128698

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com
#############################################################################################################
ANY FEDERAL TAX ADVICE CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE SHOULD NOT BE USED OR REFERRED TO IN THE PROMOTING, MARKETING OR
RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH ADVICE IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED,
AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING PENALTIES UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.
#############################################################################################################
This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain information
that is privileged, attorney work product or otherwise protected by applicable law. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete this E-mail message.
Thank you.
#############################################################################################################


David <davidwhitehead1957@...>
 

Hello there;
No, I highly doubt the pdf document is blank.
There's probably text up on the screen, however, jaws is seeing the pdf as a
graphic, thus,
Blank document.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:40 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf

Could the "empty Document" message in Adobe programs be coming from JAWS
instead of Adobe.

Because there is no text information in the document, JAWS thinks the
document is blank, when in fact, it is not. Which is why JAWS is giving the

empty document message.

Sincerely:

Dave durber

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerald Levy" <bwaylimited@verizon.net>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf



The empty document message means that Adobe Reader is unable to read the
document because it contains graphics that Adobe Reader cannot interpret.
If you have Open Book, selecting the Freedom Import Printer option from
the Adobe Reader Print menu will launch Open Book to scan the document and
attempt to convert the text contained within the graphics into speech
using OCR. The new convenient OCR feature of JAWS 13 will supposedly
accomplish the same thing, but my understanding is that this feature works
best on web page graphics, not document graphics. Has anyone successfully
converted an empty document into speech using the convenient OCR feature
of JAWS 13?

Gerald


----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Smart" <csmart8@cogeco.ca>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf


i'm not sure what you mean by an empty document that is readable.
If it's empty, there would be nothing to read??

At 04:10 PM 10/17/2011, you wrote:
Is there any way to make a .pdf document which shows up as an empty
document readable by JAWS?

TL

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

--------------------------------------------------
CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING
Clear True Sound
www.ctsmastering.com
and be sure to "like us" on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CTS-Mastering/139114066128698

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


Dave Durber
 

Could the "empty Document" message in Adobe programs be coming from JAWS instead of Adobe.

Because there is no text information in the document, JAWS thinks the document is blank, when in fact, it is not. Which is why JAWS is giving the empty document message.

Sincerely:

Dave durber

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerald Levy" <bwaylimited@verizon.net>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf



The empty document message means that Adobe Reader is unable to read the document because it contains graphics that Adobe Reader cannot interpret. If you have Open Book, selecting the Freedom Import Printer option from the Adobe Reader Print menu will launch Open Book to scan the document and attempt to convert the text contained within the graphics into speech using OCR. The new convenient OCR feature of JAWS 13 will supposedly accomplish the same thing, but my understanding is that this feature works best on web page graphics, not document graphics. Has anyone successfully converted an empty document into speech using the convenient OCR feature of JAWS 13?

Gerald


----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Smart" <csmart8@cogeco.ca>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf


i'm not sure what you mean by an empty document that is readable.
If it's empty, there would be nothing to read??

At 04:10 PM 10/17/2011, you wrote:
Is there any way to make a .pdf document which shows up as an empty document readable by JAWS?

TL

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

--------------------------------------------------
CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING
Clear True Sound
www.ctsmastering.com
and be sure to "like us" on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CTS-Mastering/139114066128698

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


David <davidwhitehead1957@...>
 

Hello there;
Yes indeed, kurzweil does allow one to save
To other formats.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:44 PM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Subject: RE: JAWS and .pdf

This isn't completely correct. Renaming a PDF file that JAWS calls "empty"
with a .txt extension won't necessarily make it readable. In my experience,
it never does. An "empty" PDF file must be converted with an OCR program.

Although I'm not a Kurzweil user, I'd also modify the first part of your
message. I assume Kurzweil, like other OCR devices, gives you the option of
converting to other formats, such as .txt, .rtf, etc. If that isn't the case
with Kurzweil, it's a serious limitation and a reason I wouldn't buy it.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of robert hebert
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:41 AM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Subject: RE: JAWS and .pdf

It is quite common for pdf documents to be interpreted by screen-reading
software as empty documents. This is because the pdf file is what is called
an image file. In effect, adobe takes a snapshot of the sender's file and
sends that snapshot to the receiving computer. Although a sighted person
sees text on the screen, Jaws or other speech readers do not hence Jaws, for
instance reports the image as an empty document.
Solution: Scanning software has at least 2 solutions for this problem:
Using Kurzweil scanning software I can print the image document to the
virtual printer. What happens here is that the scanning program scans the
screen as if one had a document on the scanner. Each page of your document
will be virtually scanned in this way and at the end you will be asked to
accept an assigned file name or enter a new one. When saved in this way,
only computers with Kurzweil software will be able to read a document in
this format. I believe that most, if not all software scanning programs do a
similar procedure though I have only used Kurzweil.
The second and just a bit more involved solution is to move the "empty" pdf
file to a folder where you usually keep your documents then using your
scanning software (assuming you have it) select that file through your
scanning program's menu, and save it as a file with a .txt extension. Now
your file will be saved as a text document and at this point, Jaws or any
other screen reading program will be able to read that file.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Ann Marie Medlar
Sent: October-18-11 7:23 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf

When that happens to me I open .pdf using Openbook scanning software. Hope
you have some scanning software.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Smart" <csmart8@cogeco.ca>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf


i'm not sure what you mean by an empty document that is readable.
If it's empty, there would be nothing to read??

At 04:10 PM 10/17/2011, you wrote:
Is there any way to make a .pdf document which shows up as an empty
document readable by JAWS?

TL

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

--------------------------------------------------
CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING Clear True Sound
www.ctsmastering.com and be sure to "like us" on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CTS-Mastering/139114066128698

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


Adrian Spratt
 

This isn't completely correct. Renaming a PDF file that JAWS calls "empty"
with a .txt extension won't necessarily make it readable. In my experience,
it never does. An "empty" PDF file must be converted with an OCR program.

Although I'm not a Kurzweil user, I'd also modify the first part of your
message. I assume Kurzweil, like other OCR devices, gives you the option of
converting to other formats, such as .txt, .rtf, etc. If that isn't the case
with Kurzweil, it's a serious limitation and a reason I wouldn't buy it.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of robert hebert
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:41 AM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Subject: RE: JAWS and .pdf

It is quite common for pdf documents to be interpreted by screen-reading
software as empty documents. This is because the pdf file is what is called
an image file. In effect, adobe takes a snapshot of the sender's file and
sends that snapshot to the receiving computer. Although a sighted person
sees text on the screen, Jaws or other speech readers do not hence Jaws, for
instance reports the image as an empty document.
Solution: Scanning software has at least 2 solutions for this problem:
Using Kurzweil scanning software I can print the image document to the
virtual printer. What happens here is that the scanning program scans the
screen as if one had a document on the scanner. Each page of your document
will be virtually scanned in this way and at the end you will be asked to
accept an assigned file name or enter a new one. When saved in this way,
only computers with Kurzweil software will be able to read a document in
this format. I believe that most, if not all software scanning programs do a
similar procedure though I have only used Kurzweil.
The second and just a bit more involved solution is to move the "empty" pdf
file to a folder where you usually keep your documents then using your
scanning software (assuming you have it) select that file through your
scanning program's menu, and save it as a file with a .txt extension. Now
your file will be saved as a text document and at this point, Jaws or any
other screen reading program will be able to read that file.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Ann Marie Medlar
Sent: October-18-11 7:23 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf

When that happens to me I open .pdf using Openbook scanning software. Hope
you have some scanning software.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Smart" <csmart8@cogeco.ca>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf


i'm not sure what you mean by an empty document that is readable.
If it's empty, there would be nothing to read??

At 04:10 PM 10/17/2011, you wrote:
Is there any way to make a .pdf document which shows up as an empty
document readable by JAWS?

TL

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

--------------------------------------------------
CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING Clear True Sound
www.ctsmastering.com and be sure to "like us" on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CTS-Mastering/139114066128698

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


robert hebert <roberthebert@...>
 

It is quite common for pdf documents to be interpreted by screen-reading
software as empty documents. This is because the pdf file is what is called
an image file. In effect, adobe takes a snapshot of the sender's file and
sends that snapshot to the receiving computer. Although a sighted person
sees text on the screen, Jaws or other speech readers do not hence Jaws, for
instance reports the image as an empty document.
Solution: Scanning software has at least 2 solutions for this problem:
Using Kurzweil scanning software I can print the image document to the
virtual printer. What happens here is that the scanning program scans the
screen as if one had a document on the scanner. Each page of your document
will be virtually scanned in this way and at the end you will be asked to
accept an assigned file name or enter a new one. When saved in this way,
only computers with Kurzweil software will be able to read a document in
this format. I believe that most, if not all software scanning programs do a
similar procedure though I have only used Kurzweil.
The second and just a bit more involved solution is to move the "empty" pdf
file to a folder where you usually keep your documents then using your
scanning software (assuming you have it) select that file through your
scanning program's menu, and save it as a file with a .txt extension. Now
your file will be saved as a text document and at this point, Jaws or any
other screen reading program will be able to read that file.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Ann Marie Medlar
Sent: October-18-11 7:23 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf

When that happens to me I open .pdf using Openbook scanning software. Hope
you have some scanning software.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Smart" <csmart8@cogeco.ca>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf


i'm not sure what you mean by an empty document that is readable.
If it's empty, there would be nothing to read??

At 04:10 PM 10/17/2011, you wrote:
Is there any way to make a .pdf document which shows up as an empty
document readable by JAWS?

TL

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

--------------------------------------------------
CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING
Clear True Sound
www.ctsmastering.com
and be sure to "like us" on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CTS-Mastering/139114066128698

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


Ann Marie Medlar <amedlar1@...>
 

When that happens to me I open .pdf using Openbook scanning software. Hope you have some scanning software.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Smart" <csmart8@cogeco.ca>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf


i'm not sure what you mean by an empty document that is readable.
If it's empty, there would be nothing to read??

At 04:10 PM 10/17/2011, you wrote:
Is there any way to make a .pdf document which shows up as an empty document readable by JAWS?

TL

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

--------------------------------------------------
CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING
Clear True Sound
www.ctsmastering.com
and be sure to "like us" on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CTS-Mastering/139114066128698

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


Gerald Levy
 

The empty document message means that Adobe Reader is unable to read the document because it contains graphics that Adobe Reader cannot interpret. If you have Open Book, selecting the Freedom Import Printer option from the Adobe Reader Print menu will launch Open Book to scan the document and attempt to convert the text contained within the graphics into speech using OCR. The new convenient OCR feature of JAWS 13 will supposedly accomplish the same thing, but my understanding is that this feature works best on web page graphics, not document graphics. Has anyone successfully converted an empty document into speech using the convenient OCR feature of JAWS 13?

Gerald

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Smart" <csmart8@cogeco.ca>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and .pdf


i'm not sure what you mean by an empty document that is readable.
If it's empty, there would be nothing to read??

At 04:10 PM 10/17/2011, you wrote:
Is there any way to make a .pdf document which shows up as an empty document readable by JAWS?

TL

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

--------------------------------------------------
CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING
Clear True Sound
www.ctsmastering.com
and be sure to "like us" on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CTS-Mastering/139114066128698

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


Chris Smart <csmart8@...>
 

i'm not sure what you mean by an empty document that is readable.
If it's empty, there would be nothing to read??

At 04:10 PM 10/17/2011, you wrote:
Is there any way to make a .pdf document which shows up as an empty document readable by JAWS?

TL

_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com

--------------------------------------------------
CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING
Clear True Sound
www.ctsmastering.com
and be sure to "like us" on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CTS-Mastering/139114066128698


Dave...
 

A couple ways...

If you are eligible to receive JAWS 13 it has "convenient OCR" built in,
that purports to work very well for this.

If you happen to own Openbook 8 or 9 you should have Freedom Import Printer,
which allows you to send the document to that printer, and have it
recognized and converted by Openbook.

Other OCR software will also allow you to either directly convert the
document, or if you print it out, allow you to scan in the printed pages.

Dave Carlson
Sent from my Dell Latitude E6520 using Windows 7, San Francisco Bay Area

----- Original Message -----
From: "Terrilynne" <shateamo@gmail.com>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 13:10
Subject: JAWS and .pdf


Is there any way to make a .pdf document which shows up as an empty document
readable by JAWS?

TL


_______________________________________________
Jfw mailing list
Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com


Terrilynne
 

Is there any way to make a .pdf document which shows up as an empty document readable by JAWS?

TL