Trouble authorizing JAWS 12

Joni Colver <earlybird@...>

I have never done an ILM authorization or activation. I downloaded JAWS 12
on Monday. I paid for the upgrade and received the CD in the mail.

When I try to authorize JAWS, I insert the CD and follow the prompts. The
20-digit code is displayed, but at that point the computer just sits there
and seemingly does nothing. I tried this last night and am trying it again
today. I do not get an error message. I also do not get any indication the
process is underway.

I only have the Windows firewall. I also still have I E 6, which is the
main reason I am upgrading so I can get 8.

Could the firewall or the old browser be preventing me from successfully
authorizing JAWS? Does anyone have any ideas I can try or am I destined to
visit tech support? Thanks.

Joni

Tony

I had a problem authorizing versio 12 as well. It would complete but still
be in demo mode. Had to uninstall Jaws, delete the authorization
information in program files, and start over.

Don't know if that would help you.

Tony

I have never done an ILM authorization or activation. I downloaded JAWS 12
on Monday. I paid for the upgrade and received the CD in the mail.

When I try to authorize JAWS, I insert the CD and follow the prompts. The
20-digit code is displayed, but at that point the computer just sits there
and seemingly does nothing. I tried this last night and am trying it again
today. I do not get an error message. I also do not get any indication the
process is underway.

I only have the Windows firewall. I also still have I E 6, which is the
main reason I am upgrading so I can get 8.

Could the firewall or the old browser be preventing me from successfully
authorizing JAWS? Does anyone have any ideas I can try or am I destined to
visit tech support? Thanks.

Joni

Adrian Spratt

Am I right to infer that you don't have an earlier version of JAWS installed
on your machine? Also, do I correctly understand that you downloaded the
current update of JAWS 12 rather than installed it from the CD, and that the
only part you're doing by CD is to attempt authorization?

With all that in mind, I think you'd be best advised to call FS's tech
support, assuming you live in the US and that option is feasible for you.

I have never done an ILM authorization or activation. I downloaded JAWS 12
on Monday. I paid for the upgrade and received the CD in the mail.

When I try to authorize JAWS, I insert the CD and follow the prompts. The
20-digit code is displayed, but at that point the computer just sits there
and seemingly does nothing. I tried this last night and am trying it again
today. I do not get an error message. I also do not get any indication the
process is underway.

I only have the Windows firewall. I also still have I E 6, which is the
main reason I am upgrading so I can get 8.

Could the firewall or the old browser be preventing me from successfully
authorizing JAWS? Does anyone have any ideas I can try or am I destined to
visit tech support? Thanks.

Joni

Joni Colver <earlybird@...>

I just talked to tech support and they resolved the issue. I have JAWS 5 on
my computer. I did download JAWS 12 from the Internet.

They had me go to the fs activate website to do the authorization and it
worked out fine. She did not say why I could not do it the typical way.
Maybe it will work for me when I get 13.

Joni

Adrian Spratt

Thanks for giving us this update. You'll find when installing JAWS 13 that
the authorization that's now in your system will stay in effect for it and
future versions. You won't need to use the authorization disc, although you
should keep it somewhere safe, or go to the website for it. From here on,
you'll need to authorize only if you use JAWS on another system or if you
upgrade your current system, which includes by adding memory.

I just talked to tech support and they resolved the issue. I have JAWS 5 on
my computer. I did download JAWS 12 from the Internet.

They had me go to the fs activate website to do the authorization and it
worked out fine. She did not say why I could not do it the typical way.
Maybe it will work for me when I get 13.

Joni

Adi Kushnir <adikushnir@...>

Hi, That's not true:
If you will perchase an upgrade to a later version of JAWS after installing
the current license, you must perform an update authorization, could be
found in the JAWS help menu.

Best regards,

Adi.

I just talked to tech support and they resolved the issue. I have JAWS 5 on
my computer. I did download JAWS 12 from the Internet.

They had me go to the fs activate website to do the authorization and it
worked out fine. She did not say why I could not do it the typical way.
Maybe it will work for me when I get 13.

Joni

Joni Colver <earlybird@...>

Thank you for that information.

Joni

I just talked to tech support and they resolved the issue. I have JAWS 5 on
my computer. I did download JAWS 12 from the Internet.

They had me go to the fs activate website to do the authorization and it
worked out fine. She did not say why I could not do it the typical way.
Maybe it will work for me when I get 13.

Joni

Dave...

Joni,
My advice is to always use the www.fsactivate.com site for any new
activations. Never had a problem with it. And now that you've done an ILM
you shouldn't need to use the CD again, since your 20-digit code is
incorporated into your operating system.

Dave Carlson

I just talked to tech support and they resolved the issue. I have JAWS 5 on
my computer. I did download JAWS 12 from the Internet.

They had me go to the fs activate website to do the authorization and it
worked out fine. She did not say why I could not do it the typical way.
Maybe it will work for me when I get 13.

Joni

Dave...

Adi,

Strange, but I find the same result as that of Adrian. Do not need to
re-authorize when upgrading to a new version.

However if you allow your SMA count to go to 0 then you will have to
re-authorize.

Dave Carlson

I just talked to tech support and they resolved the issue. I have JAWS 5 on
my computer. I did download JAWS 12 from the Internet.

They had me go to the fs activate website to do the authorization and it
worked out fine. She did not say why I could not do it the typical way.
Maybe it will work for me when I get 13.

Joni

Dave...

Hmmm. Windows Mail just messed me up. Was trying to say that like minds
think alike, and all that.

Dave Carlson

I just talked to tech support and they resolved the issue. I have JAWS 5 on
my computer. I did download JAWS 12 from the Internet.

They had me go to the fs activate website to do the authorization and it
worked out fine. She did not say why I could not do it the typical way.
Maybe it will work for me when I get 13.

Joni

Adi Kushnir <adikushnir@...>

Hi,
You are not asked for authorization, because in your JAWS about dialog, it
knows that you have upgrades.
But, if you authorize JAWS before perchasing upgrades, and JAWS would show 0
upgrades remaining and you perchase the SMA later, you will need to
re-authorize it so it will recognize the upgrade.

Best regards,

Adi.

I just talked to tech support and they resolved the issue. I have JAWS 5 on
my computer. I did download JAWS 12 from the Internet.

They had me go to the fs activate website to do the authorization and it
worked out fine. She did not say why I could not do it the typical way.
Maybe it will work for me when I get 13.

Joni

Joni Colver <earlybird@...>

Regarding the issue being discussed about re-authorizing and SMA's, I am
covered now through JAWS 15.

I will probably be back with some questions while trying to learn JAWS 12.
I am happy with its performance so far, but I know there are a lot of
changes I will have to get used to.

Joni

I just talked to tech support and they resolved the issue. I have JAWS 5 on
my computer. I did download JAWS 12 from the Internet.

They had me go to the fs activate website to do the authorization and it
worked out fine. She did not say why I could not do it the typical way.
Maybe it will work for me when I get 13.

Joni

Adrian Spratt

Hi, Adi.

What I wrote was, and is, true, a point I make only to minimize confusion
for anyone less familiar with the JAWS authorization process.

What you say here is a qualification, though I'm not quite sure what you're
getting at. Yes, if you've used up your allotted authorizations, you'll need
to go through the process that Joni described. But that's an exception, not
the rule.

Strange, but I find the same result as that of Adrian. Do not need to
re-authorize when upgrading to a new version.

However if you allow your SMA count to go to 0 then you will have to
re-authorize.

Dave Carlson Sent from my Dell Latitude E6520 using Windows 7, San Francisco
Bay Area

I just talked to tech support and they resolved the issue. I have JAWS 5 on
my computer. I did download JAWS 12 from the Internet.

They had me go to the fs activate website to do the authorization and it
worked out fine. She did not say why I could not do it the typical way.
Maybe it will work for me when I get 13.

Joni

Adi Kushnir <adikushnir@...>

Ok, that's great! You will not have to re-authorize until JAWS 16!

Best regards,

Adi.

I just talked to tech support and they resolved the issue. I have JAWS 5 on
my computer. I did download JAWS 12 from the Internet.

They had me go to the fs activate website to do the authorization and it
worked out fine. She did not say why I could not do it the typical way.
Maybe it will work for me when I get 13.

Joni

Dave...

Adi,

Isn't that just what I said? But at least now we've managed to not
proliferate disinformation.

Dave Carlson

I just talked to tech support and they resolved the issue. I have JAWS 5 on
my computer. I did download JAWS 12 from the Internet.

They had me go to the fs activate website to do the authorization and it
worked out fine. She did not say why I could not do it the typical way.
Maybe it will work for me when I get 13.

Joni

Charles Coe

Also if you don't have any activation keys left, this could prevent the
installation of an upgrade.

charles

Isn't that just what I said? But at least now we've managed to not
proliferate disinformation.

Dave Carlson

I just talked to tech support and they resolved the issue. I have JAWS 5 on
my computer. I did download JAWS 12 from the Internet.

They had me go to the fs activate website to do the authorization and it
worked out fine. She did not say why I could not do it the typical way.
Maybe it will work for me when I get 13.

Joni

Adrian Spratt

And JAWS 17, 18 and beyond, unless FS adopts something other than ILM. Ever
since FS resorted to this authorization method, several SMAs ago, I haven't
had to obtain new authorizations or re-authorize except when making physical
updates to my system or when adding a new machine.

I wonder if the procedure is different in your country. I'm guessing you
obtain JAWS through a third party other than FS. If so, that would be
unfortunate.

Ok, that's great! You will not have to re-authorize until JAWS 16!

Best regards,

Adi.

I just talked to tech support and they resolved the issue. I have JAWS 5 on
my computer. I did download JAWS 12 from the Internet.

They had me go to the fs activate website to do the authorization and it
worked out fine. She did not say why I could not do it the typical way.
Maybe it will work for me when I get 13.

Joni

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I had a similar problem after my last SMA. I blamed my connection at
the time. Given what I saw of 12, I just let it ride.