[Bulk] Adobe Reader X

Dave...

Look for a menu or ribbon referring to accessibility, and run the wizard. I don't have Adobe X but there should be something similar.

Dave Carlson

From: "Bergen, Eric" <Eric.Bergen@mtsallstream.com>
To: <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2011 7:03 AM
Subject: [Bulk] Adobe Reader X

Hello.

They have just upgraded me at work to Adobe Reader X from Adobe Reader
9.

Now when I load a document, I can't read anything.

When I do a down arrow it just says blank.

It is not an OCR thing since I could read the same document with Adobe
Reader 9.

Any ideas if there are particular settings under preferences that I need
to set in order for me to be able to read .PDF documents?

I am using Jaws 12.1169.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric.

Bergen, Eric <Eric.Bergen@...>

The wizard came up the first time I went into a .PDF document and I went
through it.
I am not sure of some of the choices though.
I set what I thought was correct but it is still not reading anything.
Thanks.
Eric.

Look for a menu or ribbon referring to accessibility, and run the
wizard. I don't have Adobe X but there should be something similar.

Dave Carlson
They have just upgraded me at work to Adobe Reader X from Adobe Reader
9.

Now when I load a document, I can't read anything.

When I do a down arrow it just says blank.

It is not an OCR thing since I could read the same document with Adobe
Reader 9.

Any ideas if there are particular settings under preferences that I
need
to set in order for me to be able to read .PDF documents?

I am using Jaws 12.1169.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric.

Charles Coe

Try this site It has instructions on how to access pdf docs with screen
readers.

www.adobe.com/accessibility/products/reader

Hope this will be of help.

Look for a menu or ribbon referring to accessibility, and run the wizard. I
don't have Adobe X but there should be something similar.

Dave Carlson
They have just upgraded me at work to Adobe Reader X from Adobe Reader
9.

Now when I load a document, I can't read anything.

When I do a down arrow it just says blank.

It is not an OCR thing since I could read the same document with Adobe
Reader 9.

Any ideas if there are particular settings under preferences that I
need
to set in order for me to be able to read .PDF documents?

I am using Jaws 12.1169.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric.

scrubbed...

Dorothy <Dorothy.ingram-gorban@...>

using what?? when did you take the plunge then? Is it as bad as you thought?
can you use excell? so sorry for interupting this topic I just was wondering
when the new machine was to be delivered. I would lend you sarah morleys cd's
11 in all!! however I have in a ffew days to have a spell in hospital,and I
intend taking them in with a cd player and ear plugs, it is not bearable to
plod through them in front of a pc.I bought them from the RNIB in May of
last year the year it was published steve griffits did the bulk of work I
think they will be a cure for insomnia . regards Dorothy ----- Original
Message -----
Look for a menu or ribbon referring to accessibility, and run the wizard.
I don't have Adobe X but there should be something similar.

Dave Carlson
They have just upgraded me at work to Adobe Reader X from Adobe Reader
9.

Now when I load a document, I can't read anything.

When I do a down arrow it just says blank.

It is not an OCR thing since I could read the same document with Adobe
Reader 9.

Any ideas if there are particular settings under preferences that I need
to set in order for me to be able to read .PDF documents?

I am using Jaws 12.1169.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric.

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

If you're having problems with adobe X try the following;

1, open adobe X,

2, press ctrl+k=preferences,

3, now press the letter "g"=general,

4, now tab and
Uncheck,
Enable Protected Mode at startup

Look for a menu or ribbon referring to accessibility, and run the wizard. I
don't have Adobe X but there should be something similar.

Dave Carlson
They have just upgraded me at work to Adobe Reader X from Adobe Reader
9.

Now when I load a document, I can't read anything.

When I do a down arrow it just says blank.

It is not an OCR thing since I could read the same document with Adobe
Reader 9.

Any ideas if there are particular settings under preferences that I
need
to set in order for me to be able to read .PDF documents?

I am using Jaws 12.1169.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric.

scrubbed...

Bergen, Eric <Eric.Bergen@...>

That did the trick.
Thank you very much!
Eric.

Look for a menu or ribbon referring to accessibility, and run the
wizard. I don't have Adobe X but there should be something similar.

Dave Carlson
They have just upgraded me at work to Adobe Reader X from Adobe Reader
9.

Now when I load a document, I can't read anything.

When I do a down arrow it just says blank.

It is not an OCR thing since I could read the same document with Adobe
Reader 9.

Any ideas if there are particular settings under preferences that I
need
to set in order for me to be able to read .PDF documents?

I am using Jaws 12.1169.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric.

scrubbed...

Hamid Hamraz

Hi David,

I am using Adobe Acrobat X pro. I don't like the new interface with the reduced menues. I couldn't locate the checkbox though! Any comment?

Look for a menu or ribbon referring to accessibility, and run the wizard. I
don't have Adobe X but there should be something similar.

Dave Carlson
They have just upgraded me at work to Adobe Reader X from Adobe Reader
9.

Now when I load a document, I can't read anything.

When I do a down arrow it just says blank.

It is not an OCR thing since I could read the same document with Adobe
Reader 9.

Any ideas if there are particular settings under preferences that I
need
to set in order for me to be able to read .PDF documents?

I am using Jaws 12.1169.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric.

scrubbed...

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

How well does X do with long documents? The performance of 7,8, and 9
has been truly awful, forcing the user to choose between either
continually paging down or dealing with a balky, slow, crash-prone
application (I haven't compared notes with sighted users on this issue).
I've been using that little reader that came with Thunder; it lacks
fancy features, but is rock steady.

I am using Adobe Acrobat X pro. I don't like the new interface with the
reduced menues. I couldn't locate the checkbox though! Any comment?

Look for a menu or ribbon referring to accessibility, and run the
wizard.
don't have Adobe X but there should be something similar.

Dave Carlson
Sent from my Dell Latitude E6520 using Windows 7, San Francisco Bay
Area
They have just upgraded me at work to Adobe Reader X from Adobe
Reader
9.

Now when I load a document, I can't read anything.

When I do a down arrow it just says blank.

It is not an OCR thing since I could read the same document with
Adobe
Reader 9.

Any ideas if there are particular settings under preferences that I
need
to set in order for me to be able to read .PDF documents?

I am using Jaws 12.1169.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric.

scrubbed...

Hamid Hamraz

Hi,

Well, it's like the previous versions; slow and crash-prone. The only difference is the user interface which has been distorted. I think the slowness issue is related to combination of JAWS with it. I always prefer to stay away from Adobe Acrobat by converting PDF files to TXT or word.

Cheers,

Hamid

I am using Adobe Acrobat X pro. I don't like the new interface with the
reduced menues. I couldn't locate the checkbox though! Any comment?

They have just upgraded me at work to Adobe Reader X from Adobe
Reader
9.

Now when I load a document, I can't read anything.

When I do a down arrow it just says blank.

It is not an OCR thing since I could read the same document with
Adobe
Reader 9.

Any ideas if there are particular settings under preferences that I
need
to set in order for me to be able to read .PDF documents?

I am using Jaws 12.1169.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric.

scrubbed...

Kimber Gardner

On 12/15/11, Hamid Hamraz <hhamraz@gmail.com> wrote:
I always prefer to
stay away from Adobe Acrobat by converting PDF files to TXT or word.

I do too, but some pdf files have the convert to text option disabled
and then you're stuck using adobe.

Recently I've seen a strange behavior in acrobat. When I'm reading an
ebook with the read visible pages option invoked, when I page forward
my cursor is positioned at the bottom of the page rather than at the
top. It's very annoying as I then have to arrow up the page before I
can continue reading.

Has anyone else seen this?

Cheers,

Hamid

I am using Adobe Acrobat X pro. I don't like the new interface with the
reduced menues. I couldn't locate the checkbox though! Any comment?

They have just upgraded me at work to Adobe Reader X from Adobe
Reader
9.

Now when I load a document, I can't read anything.

When I do a down arrow it just says blank.

It is not an OCR thing since I could read the same document with
Adobe
Reader 9.

Any ideas if there are particular settings under preferences that I
need
to set in order for me to be able to read .PDF documents?

I am using Jaws 12.1169.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric.

scrubbed...

Kimberly

Deb and the girls

I have Window-eyes at work. Adobe will not read some documents. It says empty document or does not come up at all when presented with aPDF file. It does this when the emailed material is similar to a picture of words such as captcha is.
Any thoughts?
Deb

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

Neither JAWS nor Window-Eyes will read this document. It has no text. It is a picture of a page of text. You'll need to run the file through a program with optical character recognition functionality.
JAWS 13 allegedly has this functionality, though it is intended to read a screen at a time. PDF Converter or OmniPage should convert this picture into readable text.

I have Window-eyes at work. Adobe will not read some documents. It says
empty document or does not come up at all when presented with aPDF file. It
does this when the emailed material is similar to a picture of words such as
captcha is.
Any thoughts?
Deb

#############################################################################################################
This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain information
Thank you.
#############################################################################################################

Ann Byrne

Or send it to Robobraille as an attachment, and they will convert it and send it back.
.

At 09:01 PM 12/15/2011, you wrote:
Neither JAWS nor Window-Eyes will read this document. It has no text. It is a picture of a page of text. You'll need to run the file through a program with optical character recognition functionality.
JAWS 13 allegedly has this functionality, though it is intended to read a screen at a time. PDF Converter or OmniPage should convert this picture into readable text.

I have Window-eyes at work. Adobe will not read some documents. It says
empty document or does not come up at all when presented with aPDF file. It
does this when the emailed material is similar to a picture of words such as
captcha is.
Any thoughts?
Deb

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I heard that. That little Accessible PDF app I mentioned is quite nice;
if it had any but rudimentary page navigation, I'd give it an
unqualified recommendation. Oh, it also doesn't save in PDF, only HTML
or Txt, but if you don't open from Web sites, that's not a problem. AR
lost the ability to save in HTML quite a while ago.

Ted

[...]

Rose Combs <rosecombs@...>

I send files like that into the import printer of Open Book at home. At
work there is nothing I can do with them, just have to ignore them and ask
my bosses if they can either retype without the pictures or provide the info
in a way in which it can be red, they do neither usually, just figure I am
complaining again. If it looks really important I send it home and run it
through Open Book, Used K1000 until it stopped working on my computer for
some reason, it is for me the better OCR program, but then I don't use Open
Book as much so am not used to the command structure.
Does a great job on converting PDF documents that won't read.

My boss sent my raise info in a graphic format and although I really groused
at them about it, I did make OB scan it and got all the info I needed, still
I never told them so someone had to physically type that up for me! Using
Jaws 9 at work with no chance for an upgrade due to scripts created for 9,
and I am in no way able to script, only wish I could, I'd dump some help
messages I am sick to death of hearing and fix other things if I could. I
could probably do the help messages but, frankly, I am not going to touch
these scripts, I have fixed a few in my time but this particular set I am
not touching.

Rose Combs
rosecombs@Q.com