Identifying colors in word

Kimber Gardner

Hi All,

I have a word document in which text has been highlighted using
various colors to denote different types of edits.

How to I tell Jaws 12 to identify the different colors of text as I
read through the document?

Thanks in advance,
Kimberly

--
Kimberly

Tom Lange

Hi Kimberly,
You probably want to turn on a proofreading scheme that will let you identify colors while you're in say-all. As I recall, there a couple of those. One lets you hear attributes and color; the other will simply identify color changes as they occur.

1. Press alt+insert+s to bring up the scheme selection dialog.
2. Make a mental note of which scheme is currently active; it's probably "classic". This is important in case you want to come back to it later.
3. Arrow up or down to the scheme that sounds right for you, then press enter.
4. Go to the top of your document and do a say-all. You should hear JAWS identify colors and/or attributes as they change.
5. When you're through, go back into the schemes selections and restore the original scheme so that you don't hear that extra info every time you get into Word.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I have a word document in which text has been highlighted using
various colors to denote different types of edits.

How to I tell Jaws 12 to identify the different colors of text as I
read through the document?

Thanks in advance,
Kimberly

--
Kimberly

Dave...

Tom,

I should have waited for your post. Never remembered about the Insert+Alt+S.
And if it works in Say All, then that's even better.

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.

I have a word document in which text has been highlighted using
various colors to denote different types of edits.

How to I tell Jaws 12 to identify the different colors of text as I
read through the document?

Thanks in advance,
Kimberly

--
Kimberly

Kimber Gardner

Thanks so much Tom and Dave. That works great.

Now, is there a way to jump from one piece of colored text to the
next? I don't see a navigation quick key for it, but I'm wondering if
it would be possible to perhaps do it with a macro or a script?

Thanks,
Kimberly

On 10/4/11, Tom Lange <lange85@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I'd forgottten about that one and had to look it up, then test it out on a document that I had lying around for that purpose. I guess I did okay with that one considering that I've been up for just under an hour and the caffeine ain't quite kicked in yet. <grin> I'll have to pass this little gem on to my students some time today. That way it'll be sure to stick in my brain.

Tom

I should have waited for your post. Never remembered about the Insert+Alt+S.
And if it works in Say All, then that's even better.

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.

I have a word document in which text has been highlighted using
various colors to denote different types of edits.

How to I tell Jaws 12 to identify the different colors of text as I
read through the document?

Thanks in advance,
Kimberly

--
Kimberly

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

Kimberly:
Searching for color changes is possible in word. Not sure which version of Word you are in, but if you get deep into the find dialog box, you will find the option. As I recall, you need to search by specific color. So, you will look for all the yellow and then all the red and so on. That's not all that satisfying.
Be sure the changes are not in track changes. They will appear in different colors too, and sighted folks may not know the difference.
You can jump to changes in track changes multiple ways.
With JAWS, press Insert plus z to turn on those quick keys or whatever they are called. Then, simply press r to jump to the next revision.
In the reviewing task bar, you can tab to "next," but that's lots of tabbing and quite slow
Finally, you can do what I did. Inside Word options and keyboard, you can create your own shortcut keys. In my case, I set Shift plus alt plus r to jump to the "next" revision.
Finally, if the document has track changes, you will want to turn them on with insert plus v.
Hope this helps.

I have a word document in which text has been highlighted using
various colors to denote different types of edits.

How to I tell Jaws 12 to identify the different colors of text as I
read through the document?

Thanks in advance,
Kimberly

--
Kimberly

Kimberly

#############################################################################################################
This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain information
Thank you.
#############################################################################################################

Kimber Gardner

Hi Ed,

I'm probably going to have to use the find in word to search for
colors as the document is rather large, but at least it sounds doable.

What are the steps for defining a hot key under keyboard? I've never done that.

Thanks for all the help.

On 10/4/11, Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@kutakrock.com> wrote:
[...]

RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH ADVICE
IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED,
AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING PENALTIES
UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.
#############################################################################################################
recipient(s) above and may contain information
E-mail message.
Thank you.
Kimberly

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

Kimberly:
Too bad the revisions were not made with track changes. Here is how to search for color. Then, I'll describe how to create a Word hotkey.

To search for a color:
1. Press control plus f
2. tab over until you hear "more" and press space bar
3. tab over until you hear format
4. Arrow down until you hear font and then press ENTER to open the dialog box
5. tab over until you find yourself in the familiar color choice box. Pick your color and tab to OKK
6. Once this is set, you can jump quickly using the repeat find command, shift plus F4
Remember to clear this out before doing other searches. If you later want to find "Mississippi," it won't find it unless it is also in the identified color. So, that's why clearing out the color is so important when you are finished.

Now, to create a Word hot key. I know this is available in Word 2007 and Word 2010, but I don't know how to get in to the right place since I've only tinkered with Word 2010 on my wife's computer. Once you get in, however, I understand the process is identical.
1. From tools, go to "Customize" -- one menu choice up from "options"
2. Press control tab until you hear "commands"
3. Tab once. You will be in a list of command categories, e.g., File, Edit, and so on. If you aren't sure exactly where the command is, arrow down to "all," I recommend this. Don't worry, the list won't be all that long and besides, you don't pick your command yet. You still have to pick keyboard (See below).
4. Here is the tricky part, this step seems a little redundant because you still have to tab over to keyboard. Do that and press ENTER.
5. Now, you have the same list of command categories. Again, if you are unsure, you can arrow down and pick ALL. I always do that.
6. Tab over for a list of commands. For example, try "next revision or comment." To get there quickly, hit "N" until you hear that command
8. tab across until you get to the place where you can enter the new key. In my case, for "Next revision or Window," I pressed alt plus shift plus r.
9. You can go back and change or create other commands. Some are defined by Microsoft already. For instance alt plus F7 is next misspelling.
10. When finished, tab across to "close"
11. You will have to tab to close a second time, and you are done.
I use automatic cross-references, and inserting a cross-reference is a pain using menus. For me alt plus shift plus X inserts the cross-reference with one keystroke.
This sounds more complicated than it is.
Good luck!

[...]

Thanks Ed. Excellent instructions.

And thanks to everyone who offered help and suggestions. I was able to
independently edit/revise my document and have learned a few things
along the way.

Kimberly