Citation managers that are accessible with JAWS

Alicia M. Starner <astarner@...>

Hello Everyone,

I am a college student who struggles with electronic versions of the APA
documentation manual and wonder if there is a citation manager that will
help me with citation building that is accessible with JAWS. Does anyone
know if there is a citation builder that works well with JAWS out of the box
or would work with some minor tweeking?

Thanks,

Alicia Starner

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

Sorry but what's a citation manager?
I used to just type that stuff into my essay in Microsoft Word, or well, back then it was WordPerfect for Dos.

They have programs to partially automate the process now? that's neat.

Chris
P.S. Is the APA available as a print handbook you could scan? When I was an English student, they insisted we use the MLA (modern language asociation) guidelines. They were online, but they were also available in book form.

Alicia M. Starner <astarner@...>

Hello Chris,

I personally am not sure about what a citation manager is exactly. I was at
school yesterday asking a question about APA format, because, like you, I
usually just type it into my essays. This guy said that he used something
called a citation manager that helped him set up the citation, and then he
goes along and edits it. I thought it would be worth a try, but didn't want
to spend the money if it was not accessible so I decided to ask here. I have
an electronic version (Word) of the APA manual, which is what I use along
with an online resource called the Purdue OWL, which is the online writing
lab at Purdue University. I also use the writing lab at my school.

Alicia

I used to just type that stuff into my essay in Microsoft Word, or
well, back then it was WordPerfect for Dos.

They have programs to partially automate the process now? that's neat.

Chris
P.S. Is the APA available as a print handbook you could scan? When
I was an English student, they insisted we use the MLA (modern
language asociation) guidelines. They were online, but they were
also available in book form.

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

Hi Alicia. What are you taking? just curious.
Anyway, I wish I had some useful info for you. A program that automates the citing process would be handy. Hopefully someone else will speak up here.

Maybe K1000, Openbook and the other OCR program manufacturers could build a feature that generated most of the citation and bibliographic info automatically.

Chris

Dave...

Alicia,

Have you tried using Yahoo or Google to search for "Citation Manager"?

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.

I used to just type that stuff into my essay in Microsoft Word, or
well, back then it was WordPerfect for Dos.

They have programs to partially automate the process now? that's neat.

Chris
P.S. Is the APA available as a print handbook you could scan? When
I was an English student, they insisted we use the MLA (modern
language asociation) guidelines. They were online, but they were
also available in book form.

Brandon Keith (Biggs) <brandonboy13@...>

Hello,
There is no citation manager that works well with Jaws.
There is no citation manager that is easy for the blind person to use.
The best thing I've herd of is the citing capabilities of word 2010.
Sorry, but what I do is just give the info required in the works cited page and just tell my instructors that there is nothing out there to help me, as a blind person, make a works cited page.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs

Check out
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/brandonkeithbiggs
Also add me on facebook!
brandonkeith
And for my resume go to:
http://www.sfcasting.com/brandonkeith

I used to just type that stuff into my essay in Microsoft Word, or
well, back then it was WordPerfect for Dos.

They have programs to partially automate the process now? that's neat.

Chris
P.S. Is the APA available as a print handbook you could scan? When
I was an English student, they insisted we use the MLA (modern
language asociation) guidelines. They were online, but they were
also available in book form.

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

Brandon, there is nothing stopping you correctly formatting your footnotes or endnotes, bibliography etc. I hope you're not getting out of doing that.

I went to school with a guy who would read his papers on tape because, he claimed, he could not format them correctly. I had one of his proffs the next year, and he was astonished my papers looked just fine, like everyone else's. I had to kinda repair some damage there.
Chris

Rose Combs <rosecombs@...>

I think that you can find all the stuff you need in versions of Word, at
least in 2007 and 2010. It formats footnotes and as I recall you can select
a combo box that asks the formatting such as APA etc.

Rose Combs
rosecombs@Q.com

I used to just type that stuff into my essay in Microsoft Word, or well,
back then it was WordPerfect for Dos.

They have programs to partially automate the process now? that's neat.

Chris
P.S. Is the APA available as a print handbook you could scan? When I was an
English student, they insisted we use the MLA (modern language asociation)
guidelines. They were online, but they were also available in book form.

Brandon Keith (Biggs) <brandonboy13@...>

I do everything but the spacing in the Works Cited page in MLA format.
I've never really had anyone describe all the rules in an easy to understand format, and looking in my MLA book for the difference between formatting a webpage that has an article from a webpage that just contains information just takes way too many hours. My teacher helped me format my first paper by hand and she stopped after the 7th reference, we had already spent around 5 hours going over the rule book.
It's possible, but impractical to do MLA formatting by hand...
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs

Check out
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/brandonkeithbiggs
Also add me on facebook!
brandonkeith
And for my resume go to:
http://www.sfcasting.com/brandonkeith

Brandon, there is nothing stopping you correctly formatting your footnotes or endnotes, bibliography etc. I hope you're not getting out of doing that.

I went to school with a guy who would read his papers on tape because, he claimed, he could not format them correctly. I had one of his proffs the next year, and he was astonished my papers looked just fine, like everyone else's. I had to kinda repair some damage there.
Chris

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

is it?
When i was in college in the 90s, MLA just involved in-text citations, and the works cited page involved some underlining and indenting with the tab key. It wasn't rocket science!!
Chris

Alicia M. Starner <astarner@...>

Brandon,

I too have a lot of trouble with hcitations, hence my question, but have you
tried looking at the Purdue OWL? It is a great resource for writing in APA
and MLA formats and is easy to understand. The link to the source is:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/

I hope it helps you with MLA formatting and citation building. I still have
a lot of trouble, but at least this website gives me the basics.

Alicia

Drew Hunthausen

Citations have always been a pain for me whether
It's a work sited page for MLA or a bibliography for APA. What I've done in
the past is have someone help me format the page after I have all my
references in place. It does take some time, as it has to be formatted. My
college recently updated there library database and it is very extensive.
The searching is not all that hard with jaws, but they have a feature called
citation linker which formats the citation for the reference in whatever
format you choose. You can then copy and paste it into a word document. I
had a little help with this as it is not completely accessible, but it is
much less time consuming. By the way I go to California State Long Beach
University, but other colleges probably have similar tools. Hope this helps

Brandon, there is nothing stopping you correctly formatting your footnotes
or endnotes, bibliography etc. I hope you're not getting out of doing
that.

I went to school with a guy who would read his papers on tape because, he
claimed, he could not format them correctly. I had one of his proffs the
next year, and he was astonished my papers looked just fine, like everyone
else's. I had to kinda repair some damage there.
Chris

Alicia M. Starner <astarner@...>

Chris,

They have had some changes to the MLA format since the 90's that make it a
little bit tougher to get it right, but it can be done. It is a bit tedious
though and if there is something that will drastically reduce the amount of
time building a reference page (sorry I am an APA person), then why not use
it? The reference manual is set up very handy for people who have some
vision or for the sighted, but not very well for the totally blind. Just my
thoughts.

Alicia