From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Bob Edenhofer
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:20 AM
To: Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
Subject: Jaws13.0 beta

Hi Dennis, the executable is, j13.0.097.exe-32bit, or 64bit!
kc2mxg@roadrunner.com best regards, Bob Edenhofer, jaws public beta tester
for Freedom Scientific!

Dave...

Just to let you all know, Excel 2007 now works with JAWS 13. And that was my
biggest complaint.

They did take my favorite keystrokes for reading top 4 and leftmost 4 cells
and give them over to the new Insert+Shift, T table navigation set with a
completely unimaginative set of Alt+1 through 8 keys, so I added my own
keystrokes to these and fixed that problem.

So far JAWS 13 is behaving no worse than JAWS 12 in general situations
overall, and perhaps more responsive.

Again bear in mind that I'm still using XP Pro and the Office 2007 suite.

The Convenient OCR feature is pretty good, although I haven't tried too many
examples of it.

Of course ResearchIt is broken for some of the sites, but that's not a JAWS
issue.

Note that I copied over my JAWS 12 Place Markers, Personalized Settings, and
JAWS dictionary files. I *did not* use the merge feature.

And I definitely modified the OCR voice to something less drastic.

Pretty good so far, right out of the box.

I think my theory of odd-numbered versions of JAWS being the best is holding
up.

Dave Carlson

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Dorothy <dorothy.ingram-gorban@...>

But dave jaws 13 is not being sold yet I thought the important thing was to
get that fixed with jaws 12, so that users would not be obliged to buy
jaws13,to get a fix. I am told the uk list has fallen silent for some days I
suspect they think well,we willbe forced to upgrade regardless, is that a
victory? I mean it would have been just to dreadful if the only item
attended to is that whatsit thing where you get baseball results and which
no one in Uk cares about anyway regards dorothy

[...]

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Bob - KA5ETA <ka5eta@...>

The one thing that I have found that I wish they had fixed is the first
letter search in Outlook 2007 contacts.

[...]

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Dave...

Dorothy,

According to Mr. Damrey in his Podcast, there will be another revision for
JAWS 12 so one would hope that it fixes the bugs and of course will not
include the new features of 13. We'll just have to trust in his word of
honor and wait. If they fix Excel in the last revision of JAWS 12 then that
is some consolation.

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.

[...]

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Dave...

Bob,

I solved that by using the CardFile view. Then all you do is type the first
few letters and that section comes up.

Lack of first-letter navigation is very likely not a JAWS issue. Take for
example the add/remove programs list in XP. It has never been first-letter
navigation.

Now I understand that in Windows 7 it is. And FS had nothing to do with
that -- it is all Microsoft.

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.
[...]

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Dorothy <Dorothy.ingram-gorban@...>

thank you Ignore my last message I did not spot this comes of moving from desktop to laptop that is good news I am glad dorothy

[...]

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Bob - KA5ETA <ka5eta@...>

You know Dave I have never tried first letter in add rove in windows 7. I
just expected it not to work. Assuming got me again. I will give card file
a try on this end and hopefully that will help.

[...]

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Peter Holdstock <peterholdstock@...>

Just a thought but for those people having problems such as the issue with Excel is it worth trying to copy the Excel files from JAWS 13 beta and pasting them in to 12. Would that work to fix some of the issues?

Peter

[...]

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Dave...

That sounds very risky, and what's the point? If you've got JAWS 13 running
and it works, why try to apply a "band-aid" to JAWS 12?

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.

[...]

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Peter Holdstock <peterholdstock@...>

For those people who cannot afford to upgrade to JAWS 12 but are having significant problems with an application and therefore are unable to use the application.

Peter

That sounds very risky, and what's the point? If you've got JAWS 13 running
and it works, why try to apply a "band-aid" to JAWS 12?

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.

[...]

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Dorothy <Dorothy.ingram-gorban@...>

a good idea would be to ask Fs, if they say they are going to fix it regardless of jfw 13,at least we will know their intentions, Dave says Eric damery has told us jaws 12 will have a fix before jfw 13 is out for sale, it may be a good way of getting clear information,especially if they think clients may mess up their computers by trying themselves only a thought regards dorothy.

For those people who cannot afford to upgrade to JAWS 12 but are having significant problems with an application and therefore are unable to use the application.

Peter

That sounds very risky, and what's the point? If you've got JAWS 13 running
and it works, why try to apply a "band-aid" to JAWS 12?

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.

[...]

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Dave...

Peter,

Still sounds risky, using scripts from a later version. But give it a try,
if you'd like.

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.

That sounds very risky, and what's the point? If you've got JAWS 13 running
and it works, why try to apply a "band-aid" to JAWS 12?

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.

[...]

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Peter Holdstock <peterholdstock@...>

I don't need to, quite happy with everything. Just a suggestion for those who really can't upgrade.

Peter

Still sounds risky, using scripts from a later version. But give it a try,
if you'd like.

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.

That sounds very risky, and what's the point? If you've got JAWS 13 running
and it works, why try to apply a "band-aid" to JAWS 12?

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.

[...]

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Dorothy <dorothy.ingram-gorban@...>

Well peter, I do not have courage to beta test,also I do not need itI have
paid in December for jaws 13,but it would have beenpretty dreadful if those
who need excel now to be left guessing till whatever update for jaws 12 is
handed down from above why can't they say now? It should not be a secret,
unless the news is bad? Well maybe some clever risk taker on the list may
have a stab at it,even if not us dorothy

I don't need to, quite happy with everything. Just a suggestion for those
who really can't upgrade.

Peter

Still sounds risky, using scripts from a later version. But give it a try,
if you'd like.

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.

That sounds very risky, and what's the point? If you've got JAWS 13 running
and it works, why try to apply a "band-aid" to JAWS 12?

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.

[...]

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

How about Access 2007 under XP?

[...]

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Dave...

Gosh, Ted! That was a month ago. I don't use MS-Access so I can't check on
that for you. Why not download the beta (it's already in the 3rd version)
and try it out for yourself?

When I wrote this message a month ago I was still on XP Pro. Now I'm on
Windows 7 32-bit and a new Latitude E6520. JAWS 13 continues to be more
solid than JAWS 12, so I'm continuing to believe that only odd-numbered
versions of JAWS are worth owning.

Dave Carlson

[...]

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Dave, I don't usually do betas (and certainly not at my office), but am
really looking forward to the official release of 13, something I
wouldn't have said a month ago. To you and the other listers, I had a
totally unexpected family emergency throughout much of August, and all
of September, and never had a chance to suspend my subscription. It's
been a real hassle catching up, but the time investment was worth it.

[...]

From my Dell Latitude 630.

Dave...

Ted,

Yes, I think you'll like 13. I know exactly what you mean, and sorry about
your emergency. I've been through one, as well during the past 6 weeks.

Dave Carlson