From: "Dorothy" <dorothy.ingram-gorban@zen.co.uk>
To: "'The Jaws for Windows support list.'" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 9:16 AM
Subject: jaws any version

Dear list I just want to be sure that Jaws and in fact all screen readers
are sold under licence I ask since an interesting topic arose on a list I am
not a member of,a friend just selects any item he thinks is interesting It
was pertaining to jaws however. One of the posts said he was not sure about
USA, and mentioned the SGA act,that in Uk means the sale of goods act of
1979, It states an item sold must be "fit for purpose" in English law it is
6 years in Scotland it is 5, the listersaid "i do not know about USA. Well
that act is of course very important but although many Posts were posted, no
one mentioned that software is in fact sold underLicence I expect the Usa
law is much the same but of courseI maybe wrong I know computers
i.e.hardware is but since Jaws was the subject can you confirm what I
imagine is the case regards dorothy

Dorothy <Dorothy.ingram-gorban@...>

take care of what exactly? surely if the sale of goods act does not apply,
then do we rely on fs to meet the standards we expect? if so many of the
problems I see on this list and it is a busy list will only be solved by the
client either putting pressure on fs with their wallet or living in hopes
the next version will solve all our problems wellunless you can say
differently I assume the laws relating to software is much the same
worldwide,although prices will differ I think from country to country as I
have read on this list. However I am sure you meant well kind regards
dorothy

dorthy, if we purchase from freedom scientific they would take care of
this. this is not our problem. karen

[...]

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

Yes, I'm not sure what you're on about Dorothy.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dorothy" <dorothy.ingram-gorban@zen.co.uk>
Dear list I just want to be sure that Jaws and in fact all screen readers
are sold under licence I ask since an interesting topic arose on a list I am
not a member of,a friend just selects any item he thinks is interesting It
was pertaining to jaws however. One of the posts said he was not sure about
USA, and mentioned the SGA act,that in Uk means the sale of goods act of
1979, It states an item sold must be "fit for purpose" in English law it is
6 years in Scotland it is 5, the listersaid "i do not know about USA. Well
that act is of course very important but although many Posts were posted, no
one mentioned that software is in fact sold underLicence I expect the Usa
law is much the same but of courseI maybe wrong I know computers
i.e.hardware is but since Jaws was the subject can you confirm what I
imagine is the case regards dorothy

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

I think Dorothy is saying that according to several acts concerning the selling of goods and services the vendors products have to live up to the standard advertised and that jaws bug ridden product may be in violation.

Regards
Tom Bisset

[...]

thank you tom exactly right, I know Fs make the product of course, it so happened a topic just raged for 2 days and a night on a jaws only list this international list is but one. they were upset of course that they may have to buy jaws 13 to get problems in jaws 12 right but even more so that they had so little clout,many are getting it paid for under what is called access to work,does that make them happier? well it would seem not some and I am one are using our savings to buy jaws, the fact that in the UK there is a sole vendor should help,this means if you buy jaws or an fs product from for example rnib or one of the other outlets,they still have to buy it from the sole vendor in UK sightand sound technology, One of those posting this topic mentioned the sga act,that says any item bought must be "fit for purpose and I have explained that act. but in all the flurry no one seemed to remember that jaws is not covered,since it is sold under license. I expect ms is also to some extent ? many thanks Dorothy.

[...]

Dave Durber

Dorothy:

Soft products, such as books and computer software are covered by each respective countries Copyright laws, and not laws which pertain to other types of products, such as computer hardeware, clothing, household goods, etc.

Your friend should not get confused, between the different laws covering various types of products, as each country determines the standards and conditions under which different types of products are sold and warrantees for each type of product, are covered by the particular laws for the particular country concerned.

Your friend should read the license for each product to determine any conditions and rights, in this case the Freedom Scientific JAWS License Agreement, which can be found in the JAWS Help system.

If your friend needs any further clarrification as to the terms and conditions of the JAWS License Agreement, they should either contact the Freedom Scientific dealer in the country in which they live or, they should contact Freedom Scientific directly, either by email , by phone or by snail mail.

HTH

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

[...]

Many thanks dave, I was sent the posts by friends on the jaws list in uk,I
am sure they all knew about fs licence conditions,but one man mentioned the
sga act which means an item mustbe fit for purpose now that act is a Uk act
of course.the battle really got heated up as they list members got angry
atbeing told if they are unhappy move to another screen reader, some
couldnot do that,and explained why. But shouldnot have to .In us laws
differ from state to state but I think jaws is sold under licence in most
states of course they can go to fs directly I once had to do that myself I
am not saying it was easy,but it was necessary regards dorothy

[...]

Adrian Spratt

There have been several muddying messages on this subject on this list.
First, FS's license by itself doesn't determine what rights users have. In
the U.S., state law typically recognizes implied warranty protections that
are additional to the express warranties written into a license agreement. I
believe this dual protection is followed in countries that have an English
common law heritage.

There is no need to get into the distinctions among copyright, patents,
trademarks and other intellectual property rights. The concept of a
product's fitness to serve the purpose for which it is intended is a
consumer protection.

Most countries run consumer protection offices. In the U.S., the best place
to go for this kind of assistance is the Attorney General's office of the
state where you live, although some of those offices will refer complaints
to the A.G. for the state where the company has its home office. One or two
complaints are unlikely to generate a serious response, but complaints from
a sizable number of consumers could trigger enforcement action.

I am not advocating a complaint-filing campaign. Many subscribers to this
list are content with JAWS, a factor that would go into any enforcement
officer's decision-making process. I'm just trying to clear up the
misunderstandings in this thread.

[...]

inthane <inthaneelf@...>

ah no, in fact most try to deny the very concept of this law, go read the ula of any american sold software,
"not guaranteed for a particular use" and such

it sounds like something we need to look into and perhaps push for here!

inthane
. Moderator, Blind Access Help.
. Owner: Alacorn Computer Enterprises
www.alacorncomputer.com
. proprietor: Inthane's Grab Bag
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com

[...]

arg,

what she is talking about is a law in several countries that allows folks to take legal action if a company clamed something is for the use of and/or good for doing, and then the software falls flat on the job.

under such laws a company like FS could be held responsible for replacing or otherwise making good for the rather bad performance and usability of jaws 12, a law that I intend to check into to promote here at home!

At 10:08 AM 9/8/2011, you wrote:
[...]

adrian you are right and last night I recalled that in my case I did use
the sga act, dated 1979. in later years it has been updated to cover
distance selling. However it is a good act Jaws is sold under licence of
course. However imagine this, you are buying your first ever computer,you
have been assessed by a salesman who made a home visit,and been to another
company also needs are a computer a scanner a monitor a printer and an OCR,
in all I got 3 quotes amount was £3,500 One a bit less due to a cheaper
OCR.you are able to see some things still likewhite print on a black
background,and are told "that is no problem jaws is best for you the
equipment arrives ready set to the setting you need all is tested ready to
plug in and go. I did not have internet connection,but that was for me to
choose in due course In no case did I get told of any problems However
tutors I paid to give me some tuition found jaws played up ,they did not
know why one was from dorton college he knew jaws,another was a lady again
she was baffled. Had I known supernova for instance could do easily what I
needed fine I would have boughtit. I went to the fs help site once on line
it
was in germany and the fs technical support got on to sole vendor,now they
came back and forth put magic on,magic made it worse I did not need
magnification so that was a few hundred pounds down the drain.,. I will not
drag out this agony much longer but I did refer to the sga act firmly. In
the end I had no option,I was not the problemI knew that and so did the
tutors I was paying. eric damery made suggestions they did not work,a
bright young man doing research did pin down the problem. eventually I put
all details and recordings in a packet sent to fs in stPetersburg to a
doctor Lee hamilton. why dr hamilton? I read his cv and thought he seems ok
in
advance I contacted his pa,she promised to see he got it personally.well
later I had a telephone call from Bryan carver director of tecnical
support.He said we have run tests and yes you are right we had the same
issues and magic was no good either in factmade it d worse. iwas told a
script wouldn't fix it only a revamp of the software and Fs did not intend
doing thatI got an apology.I should not have had to endure such an ordeal of
course,but I had to fight or go under I was so angry I could never go
through that again however. Dorothy.. I----- Original
Message -----