From: "Michael Rivera" <michaellrivera@verizon.net>
To: <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 6:03 PM
Subject: Bank Websites with Jaws

Hi friends,

I'm looking to set up a new bank account and wondered if anyone can give me
some insights into their experience with their bank's website accessibility
with Jaws. Whatever bank I go to must have a website that will work well
with Jaws. By the way, I'm using Jaws 12.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Charles Coe

Hi

Most banks I have found have accessable web sites allowing one to review
their accounts, perform electronic payments, transfer funds etc; You can
also ask the bank or financial institution if their web site is screen
reader friendly. Some may even have a demo page for you to try out.

The major banks usually will charge a monthly fee while smaller ones will
not.

Charles

I'm looking to set up a new bank account and wondered if anyone can give me
some insights into their experience with their bank's website accessibility
with Jaws. Whatever bank I go to must have a website that will work well
with Jaws. By the way, I'm using Jaws 12.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Dave Scrimenti <dscrimenti@...>

I also use Chase with no problem. But I mainly use it for reviewing statements. As to the other poster's comment, you shouldn't have to pay any monthly fee.

I bank with JP Morgan Chase and find their web site to be totally JAWS accessible.

Gerald

I'm looking to set up a new bank account and wondered if anyone can give me
some insights into their experience with their bank's website accessibility
with Jaws. Whatever bank I go to must have a website that will work well
with Jaws. By the way, I'm using Jaws 12.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

don wardlow <wardlows97@...>

I can help with info about a couple of USA banks. If you're in some other
country, I have no advice.
Here in the USA, I have found Wells Fargo and First Federal both to be very
accessible. They are the only two banks I've used since 1997.
A word of caution--be damn careful entering your bank password. They may
lock you out after only 1 failed attempt--that's what First Federal does. If
they lock you out, you have to call in and get yourself unlocked, so better
write down your bank password and enter it slowly and carefully.
If your bank issues you a credit or debit card, that may require another
user name and password. Again, this is my experience with First Federal.
Their Visa company requires a different combo so you can pay your Visa bill.

Don

I'm looking to set up a new bank account and wondered if anyone can give me
some insights into their experience with their bank's website accessibility
with Jaws. Whatever bank I go to must have a website that will work well
with Jaws. By the way, I'm using Jaws 12.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Pat Byrne

U S Bank's website is quite accessible.
Pat ByrneAt 05:03 PM 9/2/2011, you wrote:

Hi friends,

I'm looking to set up a new bank account and wondered if anyone can give me
some insights into their experience with their bank's website accessibility
with Jaws. Whatever bank I go to must have a website that will work well
with Jaws. By the way, I'm using Jaws 12.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Onwardbob

I've been working with B of A for several years and find it fully accessible...and free of fees.

I'm looking to set up a new bank account and wondered if anyone can give me
some insights into their experience with their bank's website accessibility
with Jaws. Whatever bank I go to must have a website that will work well
with Jaws. By the way, I'm using Jaws 12.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

inthane <inthaneelf@...>

the same with bank of America

elf
"do not mess in the affairs of dragons!
for you are crunchy, and go good with barbecue sauce!"
- Draconous Cerulean

I bank with JP Morgan Chase and find their web site to be totally JAWS accessible.

Gerald

I'm looking to set up a new bank account and wondered if anyone can give me
some insights into their experience with their bank's website accessibility
with Jaws. Whatever bank I go to must have a website that will work well
with Jaws. By the way, I'm using Jaws 12.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

CIBC's Website in Canada is very accessible.

Curtis Delzer

Bank Of America site is quite accessible, though, busy!

Pat ByrneAt 05:03 PM 9/2/2011, you wrote:
Hi friends,

I'm looking to set up a new bank account and wondered if anyone can give me
some insights into their experience with their bank's website accessibility
with Jaws. Whatever bank I go to must have a website that will work well
with Jaws. By the way, I'm using Jaws 12.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Sugar <sugarsyl71@...>

I use wells fargo, and no problems...smile
sugar

'Be Blessed ~Sugar

Bank Of America site is quite accessible, though, busy!

Pat ByrneAt 05:03 PM 9/2/2011, you wrote:
Hi friends,

I'm looking to set up a new bank account and wondered if anyone can give me
some insights into their experience with their bank's website accessibility
with Jaws. Whatever bank I go to must have a website that will work well
with Jaws. By the way, I'm using Jaws 12.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Tom Lange

Hi,
I'll second that. I've used the Chase site for several years now and had no problems with it. The Chase Mobile site works well, too, as does the Chase Mobile app for my iPhone.

Bank of America's site is decent, too, though the Bill Pay section can be a bit tricky, and it will time out if you take too long checking things out.

Tom

I bank with JP Morgan Chase and find their web site to be totally JAWS accessible.

Gerald

I'm looking to set up a new bank account and wondered if anyone can give me
some insights into their experience with their bank's website accessibility
with Jaws. Whatever bank I go to must have a website that will work well
with Jaws. By the way, I'm using Jaws 12.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Dorothy <dorothy.ingram-gorban@...>

I am told most do have decent websites for vips,but you need to think
further ahead than that, of the 17 banks being sued by the way 3 are the
best known we have in Uk,rest most likely in Usa,hope james will forgive
that observation

I'm looking to set up a new bank account and wondered if anyone can give me
some insights into their experience with their bank's website accessibility
with Jaws. Whatever bank I go to must have a website that will work well
with Jaws. By the way, I'm using Jaws 12.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Steve <k8sp@...>

As far as I know, most of them should work well; I use Chase and a regional bank site and they both work well with either IE8/9 or Firefox. Most financial institutions have close to the same standards.

ONe thing some banks require, which you won't be able to do, is that they do a "security check" where they show a picture you previously selected and a pass-phrase. If you go to their page and the picture or phrase doesn't match what you initially specified, then you know it was hijacked and you shouldn't transact anything. The phrase is visible, but the picture obviously is not accessible. Chase does not do this, though and neither does Comerica..

I recall when I got started on iBanking, I had an issue with my security settings that wasn't letting me pay my bill. I called up my regional bank's customer support and spoke to a lady. I said as I was making an adjustment to IE's security settings that I used a screen reader. She said "Do you use Jaws?" I said as a matter of fact I did, and she said they made sure their site was optimized with Jaws before theyp put it on-line.

Steve
Lansing, MI

I'm looking to set up a new bank account and wondered if anyone can give me
some insights into their experience with their bank's website accessibility
with Jaws. Whatever bank I go to must have a website that will work well
with Jaws. By the way, I'm using Jaws 12.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

ohio1803@...

Hi there,

I sure hope this is JAWS related, alright.
At least I have been glad to read how each of you are finding the e-banking world using a screen reading software, in this case, and mine, Job Access With Speech, or JAWS.

I can still see the screen some, and each month for years now I've been doing my main e-banking and credit card transaction downloads and payments using IE9 and JAWS, and Quicken Deluxe 2009. I do not yet enjoy the process, but can do it. I just sigh relief and go have a plate of cookies and mile when I am finished. Highly recommended as a motivator!

For me it is a mixed bag. I sometimes do pretty well. And other times I get hung up and scared to death I am going to make a mistake.
I wish it were easier. But it is better than it was a couple years ago now. I think the screen reading software, for me latest update in JAWS 12, and the websites have improved. Quicken has not improved all that much but I can using it still pretty well with keyboard shortcuts for all the basics. I hope to get around to setting up the APH product, Money Talks, but as yet have not transitioned there.

One of the nightmares for me is that I have to really watch out because JAWS will echo something that has just passed. Or I will think I am on this or that button, only to find out by going back and forth or up and down arrow, that in fact, JAWS was NOT on the button or field that it has spoken.

It has been stated on this list that this is a known issue with JAWS. And I don't mind having to put up with it, except when it is as important as it is when doing important online functions like this!

On each of the sites that I regularly use, Chase Visa, Bank of America, American Express, and my local banking institution, I am good about half to three-quarter of the time. But when I get myself all hung up, I am glad I can still see just enough to get myself out of the jam, to sort things out. But that is not either a reliable thing as my peepers are pretty much not always able to make things out as I would like, and not for so very long as I like many others have a degenerative eye condition for which there is fix or upgrade.

I am sure you also have each noticed that it is the case where invariably you just get fairly adept and comfortable with using these websites, and they go and change the security and redesign the website with another layer you have to learn all over again. I am sure in some ways, it is very necessary to keep our accounts secure. But sometimes, the old paper checkbook and a check writing guide and a talking calculator look mighty fine again to this nervous Nellie.

Any more tips some of you may have for navigating these aforementioned types of e-banking places, I am all ears and fingers.
And good luck to you.

Thanks.
Rik

George Marshall

Hi:
Wellsfargo works well after initial set-up.
George R. Marshall
marshall.geoma4@gmail.com

I'm looking to set up a new bank account and wondered if anyone can give me
some insights into their experience with their bank's website accessibility
with Jaws. Whatever bank I go to must have a website that will work well
with Jaws. By the way, I'm using Jaws 12.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Gezim Rexha

My bank uses token for e-banking services. Would anybody suggest some alternative, so that I could try and suggest to my bank?

Best regards,
Gezim

Wellsfargo works well after initial set-up.
George R. Marshall
marshall.geoma4@gmail.com
I'm looking to set up a new bank account and wondered if anyone can give me
some insights into their experience with their bank's website accessibility
with Jaws. Whatever bank I go to must have a website that will work well
with Jaws. By the way, I'm using Jaws 12.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Richard B. McDonald

Bank of America is excellent! They are highly acclaimed for their website's
accessibility.

Richie

Wellsfargo works well after initial set-up.
George R. Marshall
marshall.geoma4@gmail.com
I'm looking to set up a new bank account and wondered if anyone can give
me
some insights into their experience with their bank's website
accessibility
with Jaws. Whatever bank I go to must have a website that will work well
with Jaws. By the way, I'm using Jaws 12.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Dave Scrimenti <dscrimenti@...>

I worked for Bank Of America. And although I can say many, many negative things about the company, one positive thing is their commitment to accessibility for the employees.

Bank of America is excellent! They are highly acclaimed for their website's
accessibility.

Richie

Wellsfargo works well after initial set-up.
George R. Marshall
marshall.geoma4@gmail.com
I'm looking to set up a new bank account and wondered if anyone can give
me
some insights into their experience with their bank's website
accessibility
with Jaws. Whatever bank I go to must have a website that will work well
with Jaws. By the way, I'm using Jaws 12.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Dorothy <dorothy.ingram-gorban@...>

Well that is nice to know of course pity first data bank in uk which is
owned by an American bank made a vip friend and jaws user redundant in april
this year, the work was outsourced to Frankfurt and Singapore. Before that
he was with experien bank who did something similar.,he travelled from
Chesterfield with a guide dog to catch a train to Nottingham daily leaving
at 5 am in morning getting home late at night.he by the way told me about
this list.so have an in depth look at any bank you choose I think.