Adding items to Start Menu... was When will JAWS 13 be out?

Tom Lange

Hi,
Somebody wrote:

Hello there;

Someone was asking how to add item to the start menu?

Are we asking for windows XP?

I wasn't sure about that. If using Windows 7, the previous directions about pinning items to the Start Menu are correct. If we're talking about XP, the procedure is almost as simple.
1. Find the program that you want to add to the Start Menu.
2. Press the Application key or Shift-f10, then arrow down to Copy and press Enter.
3. Go to the Start button and use the application key again. Arrow down to Explore All Users and press Enter.
4. The Start Menu tree view will be open in Windows Explorer. Press Tab once, then ctrl+v.
5. Press Alt+F4 to close Windows Explorer.
6. Open the Start menu as you normally do and you should find the new entry.

Tom

Dave...

Tom,

Man, where did you learn all that? I've been wasting my time all these years
groping through folders and subfolders, and all I needed to do was the
Applications key? I take my hat off to you, my friend. There's a whole lot
of Windows hidden in that Applications key just sitting there, waiting for
me to stumble on it.

Good stuff!

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.
Someone was asking how to add item to the start menu?

Are we asking for windows XP?

I wasn't sure about that. If using Windows 7, the previous directions about
pinning items to the Start Menu are correct. If we're talking about XP, the
procedure is almost as simple.
1. Find the program that you want to add to the Start Menu.
2. Press the Application key or Shift-f10, then arrow down to Copy and
press Enter.
3. Go to the Start button and use the application key again. Arrow down to
Explore All Users and press Enter.
4. The Start Menu tree view will be open in Windows Explorer. Press Tab
once, then ctrl+v.
5. Press Alt+F4 to close Windows Explorer.
6. Open the Start menu as you normally do and you should find the new entry.

Tom

Tom Lange

Hey Farfar,
You wrote:

Tom,

Man, where did you learn all that?
Well, a lot of that came with willingness to play around and just explore to see what happens. There's a lot of trial and error in that process but it's a tremendous learning experience. Being involved with PC's now for sixteen years and fiddling with assistive technoloby of various sorts, one is bound to pick up a few odds and ends along the way. And I'm more than happy to impart what I've learned to whoever is a willing and open recipient. That's why I'm teaching for a living these days.

I've been wasting my time all these years
groping through folders and subfolders, and all I needed to do was the
Applications key?
Yes, there's a lot of power in that application key, as you've now seen. I use it whenever possible and when the need arises. It opens up a lot of possibilities. Pick something at random, use that application key and you'll be amazed at what you can find.

I take my hat off to you, my friend. There's a whole lot
of Windows hidden in that Applications key just sitting there, waiting for
me to stumble on it.
Good stuff!
Indeed, and I thank you for the nice words. Take care, my friend.

CHEERS!
Tom

Dave Scrimenti <dscrimenti@...>

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do, but I don't know why you're going through so many steps. If you want to add a program to the start menu, just go to the program, press the applications key, and choose the "pin to start menu" command.

Someone was asking how to add item to the start menu?

Are we asking for windows XP?

I wasn't sure about that. If using Windows 7, the previous directions about pinning items to the Start Menu are correct. If we're talking about XP, the procedure is almost as simple.
1. Find the program that you want to add to the Start Menu.
2. Press the Application key or Shift-f10, then arrow down to Copy and press Enter.
3. Go to the Start button and use the application key again. Arrow down to Explore All Users and press Enter.
4. The Start Menu tree view will be open in Windows Explorer. Press Tab once, then ctrl+v.
5. Press Alt+F4 to close Windows Explorer.
6. Open the Start menu as you normally do and you should find the new entry.

Tom

Dave...

She's using XP, not Vista or Windows7.
Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.
Someone was asking how to add item to the start menu?

Are we asking for windows XP?

I wasn't sure about that. If using Windows 7, the previous directions
about pinning items to the Start Menu are correct. If we're talking about
XP, the procedure is almost as simple.
1. Find the program that you want to add to the Start Menu.
2. Press the Application key or Shift-f10, then arrow down to Copy and
press Enter.
3. Go to the Start button and use the application key again. Arrow down
to Explore All Users and press Enter.
4. The Start Menu tree view will be open in Windows Explorer. Press Tab
once, then ctrl+v.
5. Press Alt+F4 to close Windows Explorer.
6. Open the Start menu as you normally do and you should find the new
entry.

Tom

Dave Durber

Dave:

With some of the postings on this list, I want to pull the last remaining amount of hair out of my head. Then, along come nuggets of information, such as tom posted, and somehow, it all seems worth while.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

Someone was asking how to add item to the start menu?

Are we asking for windows XP?

I wasn't sure about that. If using Windows 7, the previous directions
about pinning items to the Start Menu are correct. If we're talking about
XP, the procedure is almost as simple.
1. Find the program that you want to add to the Start Menu.
2. Press the Application key or Shift-f10, then arrow down to Copy and
press Enter.
3. Go to the Start button and use the application key again. Arrow down
to Explore All Users and press Enter.
4. The Start Menu tree view will be open in Windows Explorer. Press Tab
once, then ctrl+v.
5. Press Alt+F4 to close Windows Explorer.
6. Open the Start menu as you normally do and you should find the new
entry.

Tom

Marsha <marcatony@...>

HI
You can do this in WindowsXP.

Marsha

inthane <inthaneelf@...>

since pin to start menu is a windows vista and 7 only item I see a bit of a problem here as well!

thus Farfar's statement

elf
"do not mess in the affairs of dragons!
for you are crunchy, and go good with barbecue sauce!"
- Draconous Cerulean

Someone was asking how to add item to the start menu?

Are we asking for windows XP?

I wasn't sure about that. If using Windows 7, the previous directions
about pinning items to the Start Menu are correct. If we're talking about
XP, the procedure is almost as simple.
1. Find the program that you want to add to the Start Menu.
2. Press the Application key or Shift-f10, then arrow down to Copy and
press Enter.
3. Go to the Start button and use the application key again. Arrow down
to Explore All Users and press Enter.
4. The Start Menu tree view will be open in Windows Explorer. Press Tab
once, then ctrl+v.
5. Press Alt+F4 to close Windows Explorer.
6. Open the Start menu as you normally do and you should find the new
entry.

Tom

Onwardbob

Sorry, but it's there/here, on XP as well.

[...]

Dave,

then you should know that there is no "pin{ in XP. That's my point.
Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.
[...]

read on, there is a difference that changes it, as I and mike will explain to you...