Slightly Off Topic: G-mail Question

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I am trying to get my personal g-mail account to work with Windows Live Mail on a Windows 7 laptop, but am having an interesting problem as I work with my g-mail account.

Specifically, in my list of g-mail folders, there is a folder called "all mail".

This appears to be an archive of some sort, that contains every e-mail I have ever received, replies to relevant e-mails, etc., all the way back to about 2009, when I first set up my g-mail account.

There are literally several hundred thousand e-mails in this "all mail" folder.

I really don't need this folder, and I have tried to delete it, but with no luck.

I also have tried going into the folder and deleting messages in groups, but again, no luck.

It seems that G-mail is blocking this action.

Having all of these e-mails in my "all mail" folder is slowing things down unnecessarily, and I'd like to get rid of this extra e-mail baggage.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to accomplish this?

Do I actually have to go into my g-mail account to do this, and if so, what exactly do I do?

Since this quiry may be considered to be "off topic" to some, please respond to me personally at:

tombehler@gmail.com

Thanks much.

Tom Behler in Michigan

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

I don't know specifics but I believe gmail stores everything in a folder and simply sorts and displays according to your selection e.g. inbox, sent, spam etc. I believe the all folder is just that, it displays all of your email in one view. It is very posible the gmail won't allow you to delete from this folder because you run the risk of deleting everything. You probably have to delete from the different folders / views.

Regards
Tom Bisset

[...]

James Homuth

As this topic is definitely way off topic, I'm going to refer you to the
BlindTech mailing list.

James,
List Admin

[...]

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello there;

If your going to use your gmail account through the WLM email client.

You first need to set the gmail account for pop3 and you do this through
you're google account, in the settings.

If you need more help let me know.

[...]

James:

I respect your judgment as list administrator on this.

I already have gotten a number of replies, and will respond to them privately.

I thank you for allowing me to make the post initially, since I am now getting some help.

I'll also try the blind tech mailing list as you suggest.

Respectfully,
Tom Behler in Michigan

As this topic is definitely way off topic, I'm going to refer you to the
BlindTech mailing list.

James,
List Admin

[...]

ohio1803@...

I don't know what happened exactly.
but the link I tried to use from James resulted in a page that said it was not correct or working.
Doing a Google search I found a page to subscribe to Blind Tech. I do not know if it is the same one.
But the link to that page was this:
http://blindtech-list.info/mailman/subscribe/blindtech_blindtech-list.info

Hope that may help someone.
And I will be interested to see what there is to learn there.
I enjoy the threads on this list, and have learned a lot. Except for the high percentage of messages about being off topic of JAWS.
Which I guess this is, too. But well, I shall try to delineate between the mission of both lists, and post only about JAWS on this list in the future.
I think sometimes we just live with JAWS so much, we maybe some of us start to think everything must somehow be about JAWS. I think I hear Eloquence in my dreams by this time, marking about 17 years hearing that voice!

I have a Gmail question, too. But I will not engage it here.
If someone wishes to engage with me off this list, I am at ohio1803@gmail.com.

Thanks.
Rik

As this topic is definitely way off topic, I'm going to refer you to the
BlindTech mailing list.

James,
List Admin