Extracting text from powerpoint presentation

Tom Behler

Hi, everyone.

Can someone tell me the easiest way to extract and save the text from the slides in a powerpoint presentation?

I have a powerpoint presentation here from work, and all I need is the text content for future reference.

As best as I can tell, the presentation is done in Office 2007 powerpoint format.

Thanks!

Tom Behler in Michigan

Ann Byrne

The very best way is to use Jamal Mazrui's TextPal. The next best way is to f6 to outline view, select all, then copy and paste it to a new document.

Good luck!

At 06:10 AM 8/26/2011, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

Can someone tell me the easiest way to extract and save the text from the slides in a powerpoint presentation?

I have a powerpoint presentation here from work, and all I need is the text content for future reference.

As best as I can tell, the presentation is done in Office 2007 powerpoint format.

Thanks!

Tom Behler in Michigan

Kirsten Edmondson <kirsten.edmondson@...>

If you open the powerpoint and then go to the save dialog box, tab to the
type/format box and arrow down you should be able to save it as an RTF doc
which will give you all the text from all the slides in the right order.
Before I discovered this I used to have to copy and paste the text out of
the slides, but this is much quicker. I use 2007 so if that is what you have
it definitely works.

Can someone tell me the easiest way to extract and save the text from the
slides in a powerpoint presentation?

I have a powerpoint presentation here from work, and all I need is the text
content for future reference.

As best as I can tell, the presentation is done in Office 2007 powerpoint
format.

Thanks!

Tom Behler in Michigan

Tom Behler

Anne:

I don't know where to get Jamal's text pal, but your second suggestion about the outline may do the trick for now.

Thanks!

Tom Behler in Michigan

At 06:10 AM 8/26/2011, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

Can someone tell me the easiest way to extract and save the text from the slides in a powerpoint presentation?

I have a powerpoint presentation here from work, and all I need is the text content for future reference.

As best as I can tell, the presentation is done in Office 2007 powerpoint format.

Thanks!

Tom Behler in Michigan

Tom Behler

Anne:

Tom Behler here again.

I tried the F6 suggestion, and get the following options:

Notes page pane; slide thumbnails tab; and slide area.

I find no mention of an outline option.

Again, I think this was done in powerpoint 2007, if that makes any difference.

Tom from Michigan

At 06:10 AM 8/26/2011, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

Can someone tell me the easiest way to extract and save the text from the slides in a powerpoint presentation?

I have a powerpoint presentation here from work, and all I need is the text content for future reference.

As best as I can tell, the presentation is done in Office 2007 powerpoint format.

Thanks!

Tom Behler in Michigan

Tom Behler

Hi, Kirsten.

I tried the RTF option yesterday, and, although the text was there and in the correct order as you suggest, Jaws kept reading heading information at the beginning of just about every line, which made reading and understanding the text very difficult.

Tom from Michigan

Can someone tell me the easiest way to extract and save the text from the
slides in a powerpoint presentation?

I have a powerpoint presentation here from work, and all I need is the text
content for future reference.

As best as I can tell, the presentation is done in Office 2007 powerpoint
format.

Thanks!

Tom Behler in Michigan

Adrian Spratt

Tom, I have no experience with PowerPoint, but can't you copy the RTF text,
whether directly or after going into virtual window mode with JAWS
key-alt-w? Then you could eliminate the "heading" verbalization.

As for finding Jamal's Text Pal, there's always google.

Can someone tell me the easiest way to extract and save the text from the
slides in a powerpoint presentation?

I have a powerpoint presentation here from work, and all I need is the
text
content for future reference.

As best as I can tell, the presentation is done in Office 2007 powerpoint
format.

Thanks!

Tom Behler in Michigan

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

Hi, if you bring the rtf into word you can highlight the document and apply a basic style such as the "normal" style. This should stop the chatter unless there is other formatting that you want to hear.

Regards
Tom Bisset

Can someone tell me the easiest way to extract and save the text from the
slides in a powerpoint presentation?

I have a powerpoint presentation here from work, and all I need is the
text
content for future reference.

As best as I can tell, the presentation is done in Office 2007 powerpoint
format.

Thanks!

Tom Behler in Michigan

Tom Behler

Thanks, Tom.

Will give this a try.

Tom Behler

Hi, if you bring the rtf into word you can highlight the document and apply a basic style such as the "normal" style. This should stop the chatter unless there is other formatting that you want to hear.

Regards
Tom Bisset

Can someone tell me the easiest way to extract and save the text from the
slides in a powerpoint presentation?

I have a powerpoint presentation here from work, and all I need is the
text
content for future reference.

As best as I can tell, the presentation is done in Office 2007 powerpoint
format.

Thanks!

Tom Behler in Michigan

Charles Coe

Tom,

There is an application under Win 7 and Vista Accessories called "snipping
tool" that may be of help in extracting data from power point. It can be
used to take screen snapshots such as graphics, text, and associated
anitations.
I have not used this program but you can find more info from windows 7 help
and support link.

Charles

At 06:10 AM 8/26/2011, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

Can someone tell me the easiest way to extract and save the text from the
slides in a powerpoint presentation?

I have a powerpoint presentation here from work, and all I need is the
text content for future reference.

As best as I can tell, the presentation is done in Office 2007 powerpoint
format.

Thanks!

Tom Behler in Michigan

Tom Behler

Charles:

The computer I'm currently using is a Windows XP machine.

However, I am getting a laptop with windows 7 up and running on Jaws, so maybe I can try your suggestion shortly.

Thanks very much!

Tom from Michigan

At 06:10 AM 8/26/2011, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

Can someone tell me the easiest way to extract and save the text from the
slides in a powerpoint presentation?

I have a powerpoint presentation here from work, and all I need is the
text content for future reference.

As best as I can tell, the presentation is done in Office 2007 powerpoint
format.

Thanks!

Tom Behler in Michigan

Bill Spiry

Depends. If the presentation has an outline or presentor notes, those can be
saved as a text file or rtf from within ppt. I usually find it most
effective to go to File/save as/ and select PDF as the file type. This will
save the text and other stuff out to a pdf file which is readable with jaws
or you can then use a conversion application to convert the pdf to word. I
find it interesting that office doesn't provide for a cleaner conversion of
a ppt to a .doc or .rtf. there is an option to save as word but this keeps
the thing in slide form that is cumbersome with JAWS.

Can someone tell me the easiest way to extract and save the text from the
slides in a powerpoint presentation?

I have a powerpoint presentation here from work, and all I need is the text
content for future reference.

As best as I can tell, the presentation is done in Office 2007 powerpoint
format.

Thanks!

Tom Behler in Michigan

Tom Behler

Thanks, Bill.

I have been playing around with the RTF option, but haven't found things to be terribly clean.

Will try the PDF strategy here when I get the chance.

I appreciate everyone's input on this.

Tom Behler in Michigan

Can someone tell me the easiest way to extract and save the text from the
slides in a powerpoint presentation?

I have a powerpoint presentation here from work, and all I need is the text
content for future reference.

As best as I can tell, the presentation is done in Office 2007 powerpoint
format.

Thanks!

Tom Behler in Michigan

Charles Krugman

the correct name of the program is "text Tally.
Chuck