From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Deddajay
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 7:50 PM
To: jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
Subject: Thunderbird + JAWS 12 help needed

Hello

This is my first post to this list, so please bear with me as I'm not
sure if this is a Jaws problem or a Thunderbird issue.

I am a sighted user trying to learn Jaws in order to help my blind
husband. We have just migrated him to using Windows 7, Jaws 12 and
Thunderbird. He's only been using Jaws for a few months, so it is a
steep learning curve for both of us.

We are getting confused regarding the different cursors and how they
work. Using Virtual PC cursor, emails are opened and read fine with a
brief heading and then into the main body of the email, but the
navigation short cut keys - P, N, B and F don't work. Using PC cursor,
the navigation keys work fine, but Jaws announces the title of each
individual email along the lines of "mailbox:
///name/users/name/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/profiles/ etc etc. "
before getting to the message. This gets a bit tiresome when there's a
full inbox to go through.

Could someone please give me some pointers as to what settings I should
be using so that the title bar is not read each time and the PC cursor
can be used for navigation? At the moment we are using the Virtual PC
cursor, which means having to open and close each individual email when
moving through a list.

I'd be grateful for any help, including advice if this has been posted
to the wrong list.

Thanks
Deddajay

Deddajay <deddajay@...>

I'm using the latest version of Thunderbird, with the latest update of Jaws 12 and Windows 7.

I'd rather not use scripts if I can avoid it. I just want to know the correct settings to enter in Jaws to get say it all to work correctly when opening an email and which cursor I should be using.

Thanks.
Deddajay

On 23/08/2011 13:00, David wrote:
Hello there;

You didn't say which version of thunder bird, there are some jaws scripts
out their, which will help
The user navigate the program.

[...]

TeddyBear

Are the scripts available for Thunderbird?

[...]

Negoslav Sabev

http://EmpowermentZone.com/tb_scr.exe

or use a .zip extension instead for a manual install.

The scripts are ment to be working with thunderbird 5 and 6.

Negoslav

[...]

inthane <inthaneelf@...>

you can't avoid the use of scripts, it's scripts that makes jaws work and FS doesn't always make the best ones so we the blind community make better ones.

please I'm not trying to be offensive, but I am rather brusque, and your going to have to get used to adding scripts, both of you are if your going to assist your husband with this.

now then, your husband will be using the PC cursor to read the emails, here are some notes from the last scripts release I have for thunderbird:
"You gave me some ideas about TreeView navigation to get to the Inbox,
which I combined with code to search for and click the Inbox folder. In
an update to the scripts I just posted, there are now hotkeys that seem to
work for going to the Inbox (Control+Shift+I) and Outbox
(Control+Shift+O).
For anyone interested, this update also includes the best web tutorials I could find on Thunderbird, which I combined in a structured HTML page invoked with JAWS key+H (when Thunderbird is active). "

and they can be downloaded from:
http://EmpowermentZone.com/tb_scr.exe

some things to remember:
jaws steels the usual controls for the mouse and pc cursor, and they will often not do what a sighted computer user thinks they should do with jaws running

most functions are preformed with the revitalized PC cursor, not the mouse cursor which is now the "jaws" cursor.

the virtual cursor is a pc cursor with a different set of working rules, and most times will be automatically there when your husband needs it.

the only thing which throws folks off when there first getting used to jaws is that at times a "forms mode" will pop into play when there is an edit field on the screen, such as the search or sign in boxes on a web page, to get out of these boxes one most times you can just down arrow, but sometimes you must tab, or hit the number pad + key to change and/or unstick the cursor.

the numbers pad on a standard keyboard is a centralized jaws command center, many functions are preformed with the numbers pad, which should be unlocked if jaws was allowed to install and set up properly

a hugely used key is the "insert or jaws key" this is, on a desktop keyboard, the 0 on the number pad... not row, the numbers pad on the right side of the keyboard. this key is replaced by the stolen and reprogrammed caps lock key on a laptop keyboard if that is the style of keyboard chosen during setup.

if you get these thunderbird scripts and the help tutorial that is included with them your husband will be far better off than without them!

HTH,
inthaneelf

. Moderator, Blind Access Help.
. Owner: Alacorn Computer Enterprises
www.alacorncomputer.com
. proprietor: Inthane's Grab Bag
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com

[...]

yes see my post on this

[...]

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello there;

Well, you may prefer not to use scripts, however, if you want your husband
to be able to use the email client, I highly suggest you reconsider your
position.

Remember, the question you posed was more for your husband then you.

[...]

Ambrose <ambroselh@...>

Switch too Microsoft outlook and life will be great

[...]

Karen Hughes <khughes8@...>

may i ask, what does thunderbird do. thanks, karen

[...]

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

it's an email client.

At 10:21 AM 8/24/2011, you wrote:
may i ask, what does thunderbird do. thanks, karen

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello Karen;

Thunder bird is another email client.

[...]

Angela Delicata <angeladelicata@...>

Yes, Outlook is a bit easier to understand, I think.
I've been using it for a few months and I find it great.

Hope that helps.

Angela from Italy.

"The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless
of disability is an essential aspect". (slogan del WAI).

[...]

Sponsor:
Super Saldi all'Hotel Commodore di Riccione, dal 22 Agosto 1 settimana in pensione completa da euro 497 a persona. Tel 0541647326
Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=11751&d=24-8

George B

and what does this have to do with jaws???