From my Dell Latitude 630, currently not nearly close enough for my comfort
try to remedy that situation.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Behler" <tombehler@...>
To: "Jaws users e-mail list" <jfw@...>
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2011 7:27
Subject: [Bulk] What to do about XP machines

Hello, everyone.

In a recent post, I believe Adrian said the following:

"Many listers have reported flaws in JAWS 12,
possibly because it is more directed to Windows 7 than XP. ... I still use
XP Pro,
and the warnings on this list have convinced me to stay with JAWS 11, even
though my SMA entitles me to JAWS 12."

The timing for this comment couldn't have been better in my case.

Although this is likely to change soon as my University switches us all
completely over to Windows 7, my desktop at work is still an XP machine, and
still has Jaws 11. The back-up PC I have at home is an XP machine, and that
too has Jaws 11.

So, is the collective wisdom of the group to keep things as they are now on
the XP machines, rather than installing Jaws 12 which seems to be geared
more to Windows 7?

If this is true, you guys have just saved me some head-aches with my
remaining XP computers, and I thank you sincerely for that.

I'll save my headaches for installing Jaws 12 on the new Windows 7 laptop
the University will give me this week. (smile)

Tom in Michigan

djasister@...

Will 12 not work?

Yes, stick to JAWS 11 on your XP machine. Don't fix what isn't broken. Wait
and see what JAWS 13 does.

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630, currently not nearly close enough for my comfort
[...]

Tom Behler

Thanks for the thought, Dave.

Tom in Michigan

[...]

Cy Selfridge

Hi,
I have JAWS 11, latest build, on both my W7 and XP laptops. 11 works fine on
both operating systems and, yes, I am entitled to use 12 but, no thanks as
yet.
I can't wait to see what 13 will do. If it is no better than 12 then I
honestly think I am done with FS.
Cy

[...]

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello there;

Where did this information originate?

Jaws12 will not work well on a XP machine?

I have 2 XP machine's running jaws12 as we speak.

No problems.

[...]

Karen Hughes <khughes8@...>

cy i agree with you. if twelve is such a problem stay away from it and dont load future programs unless you are sure they will not mess up what is on your computer at pressent. karen

[...]

Well, I'm using jaws12 latest build on windows xp, windows 7 vista, and I'm
having no real issues.
Sure, some folks are reporting issues, however, I think one needs trying the
version so they can evaluate and not always determine his or her thoughts on
someone elses opinion.

cy i agree with you. if twelve is such a problem stay away from it and dont
load future programs unless you are sure they will not mess up what is on
your computer at pressent. karen

Yes, stick to JAWS 11 on your XP machine. Don't fix what isn't broken.
Wait
and see what JAWS 13 does.

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630, currently not nearly close enough for my
comfort
to my Audio Recording and Mixing Studios, San Francisco Bay Area. But
I'll
[...]

inthane <inthaneelf@...>

that wasn't what was said by most of us, what we said, for the majority was 12 works, but has problems, 11 works well and doesn't have the new and unusual problems so most of us are running it on our XP machines and letting J12 sit. and stew.

elf
. Moderator, Blind Access Help.
. Owner: Alacorn Computer Enterprises
www.alacorncomputer.com
. proprietor: Inthane's Grab Bag
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com

[...]

Hi Karen,
The old saying is that "if it ain't broke then don't fix it?. This sure
applies when it comes to FS.
If your current release of JAWS works for you then wait until bugs are known
in the newest release.
I concur with some of the comments about JAWS 13, new features would be nice
but I sure wish they would fix some of the known bugs in 12 such as Excel
and Access.
Also, another old saying is the "KISS" principle (Keep it simple stupid)
which FS might want to consider as a development stratigy.
Kinda like Open Book, much too many "gizmos" to accomplish what used to be a
simple task which was scan the document and translate it into a text or Word
file so one could read and edit it.
Oh well, JMO, Cy

[...]

cy, when my computer upgraded to jaws twelve i had major issues so whent back to jaws eleven and all is fine now. it threw off my other programs so i decided to stay away from twelve. karen