Topics

[Bulk] Transferring Alt Control J shortcut from Jaws 11 toJaws 12

Dave Durber

Dave and everyone:

From what I can tell, the JAWS installation does not automatically assign
CTRL+ALT+J, as a short cut to start JAWS.

I was using JAWS 10 at the time. As an experiment, I assigned CTRL+ALT+J, to both JAWS 10 and 11. Windows did not complain that I had assigned the short cut to two applications. I unloaded JAWS 10 and press CTRL+ALT+J and waited to see which version of JAWS would be loaded. Well, in my example, JAWS 11 was loaded.

It would help, if Windows allowed only one occurrence of a short cut key combination to be allowed to launch a program. So, if you tried to assign a short cut combination that was already assigned to a program to another program, Windows would tell you that this was the case and give you another opportunity to choose another short cut combination for the other program.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farfar on Laptop" <dgcarlson@...>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:44 AM
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: Transferring Alt Control J shortcut from Jaws 11 toJaws 12

Mike,

Not quite.

Checking the "Start JAWS automatically" just ensure that JAWS will start up
on boot of the computer.

When installing a new version (say from 11 to 12) a shortcut will be added
to the desktop with the version number (e.g. JAWS 12) and it may or may not
have the Ctrl+alt+J keystroke assigned.

If you have more than one major version of JAWS (9, 10, 11, 12) you could
end up with a desktop shortcut for each, and usually the first one with the
hotkey.

Users like Tom need to edit the shortcut preferences for the old version and
the new to ensure that only one has the hotkey assigned.

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630, currently not nearly close enough for my comfort
try to remedy that situation.