Topics

What to do about XP machines

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

In a recent post, I believe Adrian said the following:

"Many listers have reported flaws in JAWS 12,
possibly because it is more directed to Windows 7 than XP. ... I still use XP Pro,
and the warnings on this list have convinced me to stay with JAWS 11, even
though my SMA entitles me to JAWS 12."

The timing for this comment couldn't have been better in my case.

Although this is likely to change soon as my University switches us all completely over to Windows 7, my desktop at work is still an XP machine, and still has Jaws 11. The back-up PC I have at home is an XP machine, and that too has Jaws 11.

So, is the collective wisdom of the group to keep things as they are now on the XP machines, rather than installing Jaws 12 which seems to be geared more to Windows 7?

If this is true, you guys have just saved me some head-aches with my remaining XP computers, and I thank you sincerely for that.

I'll save my headaches for installing Jaws 12 on the new Windows 7 laptop the University will give me this week. (smile)

Tom in Michigan

Charles Coe

Tom,
I would stay with what versions of JAWS works well with your XP computers.
In other words, If it works don't fix it!

Charles

[...]

Steve <k8sp@...>

Tom,

While several people have reported issues, I've not had any and I am running XP here with Jaws 12 Pro.

Steve,
Lansing, MI

[...]

Ok, Steve. ... Thanks for the response.

I'm going to play it cool for a while here and see what other feedback I get.

Actually, I think my time and energy this week will be spent getting Jaws 12 up and running on the new Windows 7 laptop the University will be giving me, so the XP thing can wait for a bit.

Tom in Michigan

[...]

Pat Byrne

Running JFW12 on an XP/SP3 machine with no difficulties.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve" <k8sp@...>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Behler" <tombehler@...>
[...]

Robert Westfall <rawest.2063@...>

Same here Jaws 12 latest build on an xp pro sp3 machine. All working just
fine.

[...]

Thanks, Pat.

Obviously, there are varying opinions here, so in the end, I guess I'll just make the most informed decision I can, and hope for the best.

This kind of thing keeps the mind young, at least! (grin)

Tom in Michigan

[...]

Ambrose <ambroselh@...>

The only problem jaws had with xp was the video intercept driver and they
patched it up which broke other stuff as usual

[...]

inthane <inthaneelf@...>

I and my housemates have a house full of XP machines, and I have J 12 on 2 of them, but run J 11 on all of them, so I'd save the headaches for the new machine.

elf
. Moderator, Blind Access Help.
. Owner: Alacorn Computer Enterprises
www.alacorncomputer.com
. proprietor: Inthane's Grab Bag
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com

[...]

Thanks to Elf and everyone for your continuing suggestions here.

I appreciate them very much.

For now, I think I'll save my head-aches for Windows 7, and keep Jaws 11 on my XP machine for a while.

Tom in Michigan

[...]

dennis <dennis.cornelison@...>

ditto this.

[...]

Londa Peterson <lpeterson@...>

I am also running xp pro with JAWS 12 pro with no JAWS issues.

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Actually, 11 wasn't so hot with XP either. I won't recount my story
again; I'm sure veterans will remember it.

[...]

Any of you guys using Office 2007 or later with XP Pro? Please contact
me off list.

[...]

Sugar <sugarsyl71@...>

I use xp,jaws 11, windows 2007, no problems
not sure what is it you are asking, sorry
sugar

'People will forget what you said...
People will forget what you did....
But people will NEVER forget how you made them feel.'
~Be Blessed, Sugar

[...]

I have used JAWS 11, 12 and 13 on a Windows XP pro machine with Office 2007.
I haven't really had any problems especially since I got my newer machine.
I did have the problem with Excel 2007, but I was able to fix that.

[...]

Dorothy <Dorothy.ingram-gorban@...>

How interesting many have had problems using excell with jaws 12 and xp how did you fix that? thanks dorothy

[...]

Uninstall JAWS 12 including shared files and user settings. Then reinstall
it again. It fixed it for me. Remember to back up any special scripts you
may have installed before you do this.

[...]

Well I know dave Carlson was having trouble I wonder in which way your
equipment differs to his., Dave always says which computer he is using,
maybe he will spot this and see if it works for him regards Dorothy

[...]

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

did she say anything about Excel?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Londa Peterson" <lpeterson@...>
[...]

Clear True Sound