Topics

Transferring Alt Control J shortcut from Jaws 11 to Jaws 12

Tom Behler

Hi, again.

I just thought of one more question here.

What is the best way to transfer the Alt Control J shortcut to Jaws 12 from Jaws 11, when doing the upgrade process?

I seem to recall having a problem with this once before in earlier upgrades, and can't remember how to resolve it.

All I remember is that I had great difficulty transferring the shortcut over to the new version of Jaws from the earlier version.

I would have thought that the "merge utilities" function would have taken care of this, but it didn't in my earlier upgrade efforts.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions lately.

Tom in Michigan

Mike & Barbara In Arcadia <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Tom,

There is no need to transfer the alt, control, + J, keystroke. That is the
default shortcut keystroke for all versions of Jaws. What you need to do is
go to the Jaws12 context menu / options / basics and check the box to have
Jaws12 start automatically. By checking this box in any version of Jaws,
tells Jaws to use this particular keystroke as the shortcut keystroke. Hope
this helps. Take care.
Mike

I just thought of one more question here.

What is the best way to transfer the Alt Control J shortcut to Jaws 12
from
Jaws 11, when doing the upgrade process?

I seem to recall having a problem with this once before in earlier
upgrades,
and can't remember how to resolve it.

All I remember is that I had great difficulty transferring the shortcut
over
to the new version of Jaws from the earlier version.

I would have thought that the "merge utilities" function would have taken
care of this, but it didn't in my earlier upgrade efforts.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions lately.

Tom in Michigan

Adrian Spratt

Tom,

I've always found it advantageous to re-create this shortcut for any new
version. Like many JAWS users, I have a few versions on my system because
later ones broke what previously worked. Each time I install a new version
(i.e., 10, 11, 12), I assign the j shortcut to it and reassign other
shortcuts to older versions.

I just thought of one more question here.

What is the best way to transfer the Alt Control J shortcut to Jaws 12 from
Jaws 11, when doing the upgrade process?

I seem to recall having a problem with this once before in earlier upgrades,
and can't remember how to resolve it.

All I remember is that I had great difficulty transferring the shortcut over
to the new version of Jaws from the earlier version.

I would have thought that the "merge utilities" function would have taken
care of this, but it didn't in my earlier upgrade efforts.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions lately.

Tom in Michigan

Tom Behler

Mike:

This helps a great deal.

Thanks so much for the quick response.
I get my work laptop next week--i.e. a week before classes begin--so I need to have things up and running pretty quickly for my various classroom teaching activities and any upcoming travel.

Tom in Michigan

I just thought of one more question here.

What is the best way to transfer the Alt Control J shortcut to Jaws 12
from
Jaws 11, when doing the upgrade process?

I seem to recall having a problem with this once before in earlier
upgrades,
and can't remember how to resolve it.

All I remember is that I had great difficulty transferring the shortcut
over
to the new version of Jaws from the earlier version.

I would have thought that the "merge utilities" function would have taken
care of this, but it didn't in my earlier upgrade efforts.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions lately.

Tom in Michigan

Tom Behler

And, am I correct that you have to remove all previous alt control J shortcuts from both the desktop and start menu?

This is where I think I got into a problem once earlier.

Tom from Michigan

I just thought of one more question here.

What is the best way to transfer the Alt Control J shortcut to Jaws 12 from
Jaws 11, when doing the upgrade process?

I seem to recall having a problem with this once before in earlier upgrades,
and can't remember how to resolve it.

All I remember is that I had great difficulty transferring the shortcut over
to the new version of Jaws from the earlier version.

I would have thought that the "merge utilities" function would have taken
care of this, but it didn't in my earlier upgrade efforts.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions lately.

Tom in Michigan

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

transfer it?
Well, hit alt+enter on the Jaws 11 icon on your desktop, tab until you're in the shortcut key hotkey field and delete it. Then bring up the same properties for the Jaws 12 icon with alt+enter and input the hotkey you want to use to launch it, ctrl+alt+enter for example.

Personally, I have a hotkey for either so I can load 11 for some tasks and 12 for others.

At 03:17 AM 8/20/2011, you wrote:
Hi, again.

I just thought of one more question here.

What is the best way to transfer the Alt Control J shortcut to Jaws 12 from Jaws 11, when doing the upgrade process?

I seem to recall having a problem with this once before in earlier upgrades, and can't remember how to resolve it.

All I remember is that I had great difficulty transferring the shortcut over to the new version of Jaws from the earlier version.

I would have thought that the "merge utilities" function would have taken care of this, but it didn't in my earlier upgrade efforts.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions lately.

Tom in Michigan

Dan Kerstetter <dhk457@...>

As far as I know, you can't transfer it. You'll need to remake it by going to the JAWS 12 submenu. Find the item that says JAWS. Right click using either your applications key or shift f10 and arrow up to properties and press enter. You'll be on the shortcut tab. Tab till you hear shortcut key none and press j then enter. That should do it.

HTH

Dan

I just thought of one more question here.

What is the best way to transfer the Alt Control J shortcut to Jaws 12 from Jaws 11, when doing the upgrade process?

I seem to recall having a problem with this once before in earlier upgrades, and can't remember how to resolve it.

All I remember is that I had great difficulty transferring the shortcut over to the new version of Jaws from the earlier version.

I would have thought that the "merge utilities" function would have taken care of this, but it didn't in my earlier upgrade efforts.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions lately.

Tom in Michigan

Ann Byrne

I think all the past shortcuts just disappear when you make a new one.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrian Spratt" <Adrian@...>

I just thought of one more question here.

What is the best way to transfer the Alt Control J shortcut to Jaws 12 from
Jaws 11, when doing the upgrade process?

I seem to recall having a problem with this once before in earlier upgrades,
and can't remember how to resolve it.

All I remember is that I had great difficulty transferring the shortcut over
to the new version of Jaws from the earlier version.

I would have thought that the "merge utilities" function would have taken
care of this, but it didn't in my earlier upgrade efforts.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions lately.

Tom in Michigan

Mike & Barbara In Arcadia <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Tom,

I have 4 versions of Jaws installed on my computers. What I do is, use the
alt, control, + J, shortcut keystroke for the version i have loading at
startup, which is my preferred version, which is Jaws10 n my case. I then
assign different shortcut keystrokes to the other 3 versions. For example;

Jaws10 shortcut keystroke version that loads upon startup, alt, control, +
J.

Jaws6 shortcut keystroke, alt, control, + 6, on the number row above the
main keuyboard.

Jaws11 shortcut keystroke, alt, control, + 1, on the number row above the
main keyboard.

Jaws12 shortcut keystroke, alt, control, + 2, on the number row above the
main keyboard.

Hope this helps. Take care.
Mike

> There is no need to transfer the alt, control, + J, keystroke. That is
> the
> default shortcut keystroke for all versions of Jaws. What you need to
do
> is
> go to the Jaws12 context menu / options / basics and check the box to
have
> Jaws12 start automatically. By checking this box in any version of
Jaws,
> tells Jaws to use this particular keystroke as the shortcut keystroke.
> Hope
> this helps. Take care.
> Mike

Tom Behler

Chris:

This is exactly what I am planning to do.

Thanks!

Tom in Michigan

At 03:17 AM 8/20/2011, you wrote:
Hi, again.

I just thought of one more question here.

What is the best way to transfer the Alt Control J shortcut to Jaws 12 from Jaws 11, when doing the upgrade process?

I seem to recall having a problem with this once before in earlier upgrades, and can't remember how to resolve it.

All I remember is that I had great difficulty transferring the shortcut over to the new version of Jaws from the earlier version.

I would have thought that the "merge utilities" function would have taken care of this, but it didn't in my earlier upgrade efforts.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions lately.

Tom in Michigan

Tom Behler

I sure hope so, Anne.

Would make life much easier.

Tom in Michigan

I just thought of one more question here.

What is the best way to transfer the Alt Control J shortcut to Jaws 12 from
Jaws 11, when doing the upgrade process?

I seem to recall having a problem with this once before in earlier upgrades,
and can't remember how to resolve it.

All I remember is that I had great difficulty transferring the shortcut over
to the new version of Jaws from the earlier version.

I would have thought that the "merge utilities" function would have taken
care of this, but it didn't in my earlier upgrade efforts.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions lately.

Tom in Michigan

Tom Behler

Helps a lot, Mike. ... Thanks!

Tom in Michigan

> There is no need to transfer the alt, control, + J, keystroke. That is
> the
> default shortcut keystroke for all versions of Jaws. What you need to
do
> is
> go to the Jaws12 context menu / options / basics and check the box to
have
> Jaws12 start automatically. By checking this box in any version of
Jaws,
> tells Jaws to use this particular keystroke as the shortcut keystroke.
> Hope
> this helps. Take care.
> Mike

Adrian Spratt

Tom,

I think you participated in a long-ago debate over how to get the JAWS
shortcut, as well as others, to stick. I believe my last shortcut trauma
involved Notepad. As you suggest here, I had to delete any alt-control-n
shortcuts in both the desktop and the programs menu for my intended
alt-control-n shortcut to take effect for Notepad, which now works
flawlessly.

Another note from my last experience of setting a JAWS shortcut. Following
FS's specific instructions, I stopped tabbing from the shortcut choice edit
field to the apply button. Instead, all I do now is tab to that edit field,
type (for example) j, and then press enter. To make sure, I then reboot. So
long as alt-control-j hasn't been assigned elsewhere, the shortcut takes
every time.

Some listers report needing to tab to apply and then to okay. For whatever
reason, we all appear to have different shortcut experiences.

I just thought of one more question here.

What is the best way to transfer the Alt Control J shortcut to Jaws 12
from
Jaws 11, when doing the upgrade process?

I seem to recall having a problem with this once before in earlier
upgrades,
and can't remember how to resolve it.

All I remember is that I had great difficulty transferring the shortcut
over
to the new version of Jaws from the earlier version.

I would have thought that the "merge utilities" function would have taken
care of this, but it didn't in my earlier upgrade efforts.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions lately.

Tom in Michigan

Tom Behler

I do remember the notepad discussion, and thanks to the help of you and others, I finally got it to work.

It amazes me sometimes that creating a shortcut seems to be such a challenge, but I guess it's just the nature of the beast sometimes.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

Tom in Michigan

I just thought of one more question here.

What is the best way to transfer the Alt Control J shortcut to Jaws 12
from
Jaws 11, when doing the upgrade process?

I seem to recall having a problem with this once before in earlier
upgrades,
and can't remember how to resolve it.

All I remember is that I had great difficulty transferring the shortcut
over
to the new version of Jaws from the earlier version.

I would have thought that the "merge utilities" function would have taken
care of this, but it didn't in my earlier upgrade efforts.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions lately.

Tom in Michigan

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello there;

Just remember, if your going to create a jaws 12 shortcut on the windows 7
desktop, you may hear a ding sound, indicating the UAC the User account
control wants you to verify that it's alright to make change.
So, when you bring up alt+enter on desktop for jaws,
And tab to shortcut key none, just type the letter "j", and press enter.

At 03:17 AM 8/20/2011, you wrote:
Hi, again.

I just thought of one more question here.

What is the best way to transfer the Alt Control J shortcut to
Jaws 12 from Jaws 11, when doing the upgrade process?

I seem to recall having a problem with this once before in earlier
upgrades, and can't remember how to resolve it.

All I remember is that I had great difficulty transferring the
shortcut over to the new version of Jaws from the earlier version.

I would have thought that the "merge utilities" function would
have taken care of this, but it didn't in my earlier upgrade efforts.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions lately.

Tom in Michigan

Tom Behler

Will do, David.

Tom in Michigan

At 03:17 AM 8/20/2011, you wrote:
Hi, again.

I just thought of one more question here.

What is the best way to transfer the Alt Control J shortcut to
Jaws 12 from Jaws 11, when doing the upgrade process?

I seem to recall having a problem with this once before in earlier
upgrades, and can't remember how to resolve it.

All I remember is that I had great difficulty transferring the
shortcut over to the new version of Jaws from the earlier version.

I would have thought that the "merge utilities" function would
have taken care of this, but it didn't in my earlier upgrade efforts.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions lately.

Tom in Michigan

inthane <inthaneelf@...>

no ann. they don't if you try to make a shortcut that has already been done, you will fail to create the hot key and may wind up triggering the application that it is attributed to, I.E. trying to start the old jaws if its still on the machine.

elf
. Moderator, Blind Access Help.
. Owner: Alacorn Computer Enterprises
www.alacorncomputer.com