Topics

Important: Disabling Application Mode in Jaws 10?

Kim Loftis <kll2277@...>

Hi All,

On many pages using Jaws 10 and XP Pro, I'm running into the "app mode on" message from Jaws. This is happening particularly with PayPal and on my Wordpress site dashboard when editing content there. When I run into this issue, it's pretty much impossible to access a page and issue any commands, enter any text, etc.

Is there any way to keep "app mode" from appearing, even temporarily. I desperately need to get these website pages edited, and this is giving me a real headache.

Any tips, suggestions or fixes would be tremendously appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

Warmest,
Kim

Mike & Barbara In Arcadia <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Kim,

Application mode is invoked by JAWS because the page is coded as an
application. This is done through HTML codes. Pressing numpad plus brings
you back to
virtual mode and makes the page readable. Hope this helps. Take care.
Mike

On many pages using Jaws 10 and XP Pro, I'm running into the "app mode on"
message from Jaws. This is happening particularly with PayPal and on my
Wordpress site dashboard when editing content there. When I run into this
issue, it's pretty much impossible to access a page and issue any commands,
enter any text, etc.

Is there any way to keep "app mode" from appearing, even temporarily. I
desperately need to get these website pages edited, and this is giving me a
real headache.

Any tips, suggestions or fixes would be tremendously appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

Warmest,
Kim

Kim Loftis <kll2277@...>

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for that info!! I'm using a laptop, though, so don't have a separate number pad... any idea what the laptop keystroke may be?

Thanks again!

Warmest,
Kim

On many pages using Jaws 10 and XP Pro, I'm running into the "app mode on"
message from Jaws. This is happening particularly with PayPal and on my
Wordpress site dashboard when editing content there. When I run into this
issue, it's pretty much impossible to access a page and issue any commands,
enter any text, etc.

Is there any way to keep "app mode" from appearing, even temporarily. I
desperately need to get these website pages edited, and this is giving me a
real headache.

Any tips, suggestions or fixes would be tremendously appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

Warmest,
Kim

Mike & Barbara In Arcadia <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Kim,

I am really sorry, but I don't have a clue! You can try Keyboard Help, Jaws
Key + 1, on the number row, & play around with keystrokes to try & find it
or, wait until someone comes along with the correct keystroke. Take care.
Mike

> Application mode is invoked by JAWS because the page is coded as an
> application. This is done through HTML codes. Pressing numpad plus
brings
> you back to
> virtual mode and makes the page readable. Hope this helps. Take care.
> Mike

You can disregard my last reply. I found some laptop keystrokes in my
notes. They are below. What you want is the first 1.

Laptop commands

find the laptop keys for jaws

PC Cursor

CAPS LOCK+SEMICOLON

JAWS Cursor

CAPS LOCK+P

Invisible Cursor

CAPS LOCK+P twice quickly

Route PC Cursor to JAWS Cursor

CAPS LOCK+APOSTROPHE

Route JAWS Cursor to PC Cursor

CAPS LOCK+LEFT BRACKET

Restrict JAWS Cursor

CAPS LOCK+R

Left Mouse Button

CAPS LOCK+8

Right Mouse Button

CAPS LOCK+9

Left Mouse Button Lock

CTRL+WINDOWS Key+8

Right Mouse Button Lock

CTRL+WINDOWS Key+9

Drag and Drop

CAPS LOCK+CTRL+8

Say Active Cursor

ALT+DELETE

Mouse Down

ALT+SHIFT+DOWN ARROW

Mouse Left

ALT+SHIFT+LEFT ARROW

Mouse Right

ALT+SHIFT+RIGHT ARROW

Mouse Up

ALT+SHIFT+UP ARROW

press capslock and P

will switch to the jaws cursor

press capslock and semi colon to switch back to the PC cursor.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Mike

> Application mode is invoked by JAWS because the page is coded as an
> application. This is done through HTML codes. Pressing numpad plus
brings
> you back to
> virtual mode and makes the page readable. Hope this helps. Take care.
> Mike

Adrian Spratt

Kim and Mike,

I hope this method works on these websites. When I used JAWS 10, I found
solutions inconsistent. On Yahoo Finance, for example, I had to locate the
toggle link for applications mode to turn it off.

For me, the problem was completely eliminated in JAWS 11. I can't speak for
all webpages, but I've never encountered applications mode after JAWS 10.

> Application mode is invoked by JAWS because the page is coded as an
> application. This is done through HTML codes. Pressing numpad plus
brings
> you back to
> virtual mode and makes the page readable. Hope this helps. Take care.
> Mike

Kim Loftis <kll2277@...>

Hi Adrian and Mike,

Well, unfortunately, Mike, your method didn't work for me... yes, applications mode would, in fact, go off, but keeps coming back on the next time I try to move my cursor or enter a key command. Thanks so much for trying, though! I really appreciate it. *smile*

Adrian, I sadly must agree with you regarding inconsistent methods here... I've tried everything, but to no real avail. I appreciate knowing that 11 seems to illiminate this issue, at least for you... very good to know.

I apppreciate hearing about your experiences... they mirror mine, at least as far as Jaws 10 goes. Anyway, thanks so much!

Warmest,
Kim

> Application mode is invoked by JAWS because the page is coded as an
> application. This is done through HTML codes. Pressing numpad plus
brings
> you back to
> virtual mode and makes the page readable. Hope this helps. Take care.
> Mike

Another thing you can try in this situation is invoking the keystroke, Jaws
Key + Z. This toggles the virtual cursor key between off & auto. This is
only a suggestion. I am not sure if this will help, but is worth a try.
Take care.
Mike

> I hope this method works on these websites. When I used JAWS 10, I found
> solutions inconsistent. On Yahoo Finance, for example, I had to locate
the
> toggle link for applications mode to turn it off.
>
> For me, the problem was completely eliminated in JAWS 11. I can't speak
for
> all webpages, but I've never encountered applications mode after JAWS
10.

Kim Loftis <kll2277@...>

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for throwing this suggestion out there!! It actually works, at least when editing Wordpress pages in HTML mode... I haven't tried it for those other instances where I'm encountering application mode, but it solves my problem in this most important instance!

Thanks a million!

warmest,
Kim

> I hope this method works on these websites. When I used JAWS 10, I found
> solutions inconsistent. On Yahoo Finance, for example, I had to locate
the
> toggle link for applications mode to turn it off.
>
> For me, the problem was completely eliminated in JAWS 11. I can't speak
for
> all webpages, but I've never encountered applications mode after JAWS
10.

inthane <inthaneelf@...>

a bit behind here, but all you need do is hit the PC cursor key to disengage forms mode which is what I think you mean by the places your saying your getting the trouble.

and it sounds like doing a repair on jaws would be a good thing as well.

HTH,
elf
. Moderator, Blind Access Help.
. Owner: Alacorn Computer Enterprises
www.alacorncomputer.com
. proprietor: Inthane's Grab Bag
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com

On many pages using Jaws 10 and XP Pro, I'm running into the "app mode on" message from Jaws. This is happening particularly with PayPal and on my Wordpress site dashboard when editing content there. When I run into this issue, it's pretty much impossible to access a page and issue any commands, enter any text, etc.

Is there any way to keep "app mode" from appearing, even temporarily. I desperately need to get these website pages edited, and this is giving me a real headache.

Any tips, suggestions or fixes would be tremendously appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

Warmest,
Kim

inthane <inthaneelf@...>

ok I never noticed this "mode" going on, course I have jaws very silent about some things and very verbose about others, and this may have gotten hit by the first method!

apologies for my misunderstanding,

[...]

open the file in the jaws help and look it up!

elf
. Moderator, Blind Access Help.
. Owner: Alacorn Computer Enterprises
www.alacorncomputer.com
. proprietor: Inthane's Grab Bag
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com

> Application mode is invoked by JAWS because the page is coded as an
> application. This is done through HTML codes. Pressing numpad plus
brings
> you back to
> virtual mode and makes the page readable. Hope this helps. Take care.
> Mike

Kim Loftis <kll2277@...>

Hi Elf,

Problem mostly solved, so I'm happy. Jaws key + Z did the trick.

Thanks,
Kim

> Application mode is invoked by JAWS because the page is coded as an
> application. This is done through HTML codes. Pressing numpad plus
brings
> you back to
> virtual mode and makes the page readable. Hope this helps. Take care.
> Mike

Charles Krugman

I have noticed the same problem on a particular web site and it reads it as "applications Menu" in JAWS 12 latest version. This occurs where there is a menu box with a dropdown menu and an item has to be selected. once in a while I can get beyond this point by closing the menu box and selecting but I don't always remember what I did to do it.
Chuck