JAWS and Negativity

Spencer McLean <smclean@...>

Hi Everyone:

Since joining this list about a week ago, I've noticed a great deal
of negativity about JAWS. I don't want to downplay its problems
-- it has a few. And it seems like many on this list have encountered more
difficulties than I have which, naturally, puts one in a gloomier frame of
mind, not only with regard to the application itself but also to its future. Yes, JAWS's pricetag is waaay too high, its scripts are meager, its
glitchiness is frustrating, its documentation is lackluster, its tendency
not to do what you set it to do is legendary... But... It has some pretty
awesome features as well.

- navigating via SelectAGraphic/Paragraph/Heading features have
- revolutionized the way I read webpages. Experience with these can get me
- to the content faster than sighted people, provided that I'm at least
- passingly familiar with the website in question. SelectAParagraph is
- probably my favorite feature in JAWS. Go to any News site, click on an
- article and tell me that SelectAParagraph doesn't rock. You avoid all the
- mess and get right to the targeted content. For me, it's almost replaced
- placemarkers which were never reliable anyway given the rate at which
- webpages are redesigned.

- Personalized settings for webpage? Fantastic! I hate inline frames. If
- there are any Slate Magazine fans on this list, having to bump over that
- stupid Facebook inline frame to read articles drove me bunkers until I
- found out how to turn that off in CTRL+JAWSKey+V. And Slate. Com isn't the
- only site that puts that Facebook inline in inconvenient places. And for
- those like me who've been all-but-driven to madness by SayAll's obsessive
- need to vocalize Same-Page links on Wikipedia pages, you can turn that
- off under the Links branch in personalized settings. And the best part is
- that you can customize these settings for individual websites.

- Finally, some of the navigation keys are pretty sweet. Visited links is
- the most useful, for me. Going right to that spot you typically visit and
- hitting enter, so click. Going right to placemarkers on webpages that
- don't update a lot? Nice. Jumping to lines on a page? Paging through
- paragraphs? I use them all to get through the mess.

My intention is not to chastise. Like I mentioned above, JAWS has
its problems and its important to point them; I recognize that. So for all
of you who've held Freedom Scientific to account over JAWS's issues, I raise
my glass to you. But it has some pretty amazing navigational features as
well and I don't want that to be forgotten in the din.

Cheers,
Spence

PS: Does anyone know if the JAWS developers have any intentions of
implementing that Voiceover-in-Safari feature for the Mac which keeps all
webpage menus closed until you click on them to open them? If that wouldn't
clean up web browsing for Jaws in IE or Firefox...

Spencer McLean <smclean@...>

Wooops. I meant Shift+JAWSKey+V. CTRL+JAWSKey+V is actually nto very helpful at all. *Snicker*

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011, Spencer McLean wrote:

[...]

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello there;

Well,
Regarding all of the things you talk about, this is all well and good,
However, when we pay big bucks for a program, latest and greatest, do you
not think, that, one would be able to use excel without annoying problems?
Not sure if you no, however, this is what office people do.
So, using jaws in your personal life needs to keep people employed,and
competitive.
I won't go on with a rant.

Glad your happy though.

[...]

Steve <k8sp@...>

Those navigation features are common for screen readers, including Window-Eyes and System Access. I do like the virtual ribbon workaround in Jaws, and I like the research-it feature, but unfortunately, it seems harder to maintain than it is probably worth. Some of the features like the word analyzer I don't find much use for, but maybe I would in certain academic pursuits.

About the only thing Jaws has going for it right now is the marginal cost to me of learning a new program. I hope they gdet time at F.S. to rework the system into some smaller modules that aren't so klugey and bug-prone.

[...]

inthane <inthaneelf@...>

oh I agree, I have troubles with the lacks in jaws but use another reader, not happenin, I've tried a couple, I may work on being able to utilizing NVDA for a set of special circumstances, but other than that no way am I changing

elf
. Moderator, Blind Access Help.
. Owner: Alacorn Computer Enterprises
www.alacorncomputer.com
. proprietor: Inthane's Grab Bag
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com

[...]

djasister@...

What is word analizer?

[...]

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

It's called text analyzer.
http://www.freedomscientific.com/downloads/JAWS/JAWS-whats-new.asp
Use your navigate by heading key, H, on that page until you get to the heading "text analyzer". Then you can read what it does, how to turn it on etc. etc.

At 09:00 AM 8/19/2011, you wrote:
What is word analizer?

-----Original Message----- From: Steve
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:40 PM