From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:29 PM
To: Jaws users e-mail list
Subject: Question on activation count

Hi, all.

I'm between computers here, and have a question about Jaws activation
counts.

I know I could call FS about this, but figured I might get a quicker answer
from the list.

Regarding activations, does a single-license Jaws user like myself have a
given number of activations for each separate version of Jaws, or is the
allotted number of 3 activations constant across all versions of Jaws
collectively?

I am getting a couple of new computers set up for both office and home, and

am trying to figure out how best to proceed, while still keeping an older
Windows XP machine around as a back-up in case that is needed as well.

I have Jaws 12, but a few earlier versions of Jaws that I could probably
use if neded, if that would give me more activations to work with.

Thanks!

Tom from Michigan

Gerald Levy

On a related subject, here's something I have been wondering about. I originally installed JAWS 8 on my computer with the CD, and upgraded to JAWS 9 from the FS web site, because my original SMA allowed for one version upgrade. JAWS 9 is currently my default version. Suppose my hard drive failed and after a new hard drive is installed along with the Windows OS, I reinstall JAWS 8 again using the CD. Would I still be able to upgrade to JAWS 9 again under the original SMA? Or would JAWS 9 run only in demo mode after I install it again from the FS web site? I assume that I would need at least two activations to reinstall JAWS 8 and then JAWS 9. I'm asking this just in case.

Gerald

[...]

Steve <k8sp@...>

Nope, you don't get any more activations. The only time the older versions might make a difference is if you run out of upgrades, then you could use a newer version as a demo and use the older version permanently.

You are given a certain number of keys. You can use those across any number of computers, provided you only use one at a time.

I'm between computers here, and have a question about Jaws activation counts.

I know I could call FS about this, but figured I might get a quicker answer from the list.

Regarding activations, does a single-license Jaws user like myself have a given number of activations for each separate version of Jaws, or is the allotted number of 3 activations constant across all versions of Jaws collectively?

I am getting a couple of new computers set up for both office and home, and am trying to figure out how best to proceed, while still keeping an older Windows XP machine around as a back-up in case that is needed as well.

I have Jaws 12, but a few earlier versions of Jaws that I could probably use if neded, if that would give me more activations to work with.

Thanks!

Tom from Michigan

Tom Behler

That's what I thought, so my next question is "How liberal is FS when it comes to getting your activation count re-set if needed?

Tom in Michigan

[...]

Thanks, Steve.

I appreciate the clarification.

Tom in Michigan

[...]

Very good as long as you don't ask for an increase in counts on a weekend and as long as you aren't abusing it by asking for a lot of key recount increases.

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Steve, a small objection from one who has requested new activations only
twice in nearly two decades. Agreed, requesting a lot of activations could
indicate usage outside the terms of our agreement with FS. However, it's
clear that many people here need activations for reasons to do with the
number of systems they have, the hardware upgrades they install, the
occasional mistakes they make, and so on. FS has a right to protect its
revenue source, but it does come at a cost to customers of the unrestricted
use of a program we paid generously for.

[...]

Why does anyone need more than one or two computers for personal use? The people who run into problems with their activation counts seem to own a zillion computers. This is absurd. Any blind computer user who owns more than two computers deserves to be scrutinized by FS.

Gerald

[...]

Peter Holdstock <peterholdstock@...>

In my case I haven't had as many activations as FS claims. I only use JAWS on both of my PCs and no where else. The only times I've had activations has been when I've restored my PC back and fitted new hardware. Some of the times I've restored my PC back has been due to issues with JAWS and trying to resolve them. A more sensible approach from FS would be to have JAWS send once a day a message to FS giving the IP address of the computer then they would be able to see that it was being used in the location it was intended for and wouldn't be an issue. For those who don't want FS to have that information they can just remain as they are.

We pay a lot of money for the software to say the least. I appreciate FS want to protect themselves from piracy but I am sure that such a strict policy on activations is what has caused some to go down the route of piracy (mine is a fully paid for version and I do not condone piracy in the slightest).

Peter

Peter

[...]

Adi Kushnir <adikushnir@...>

Can some one check with FS and tell us here how the price would be if
pearchising a dongle instead of an ILM license?
I have a dongle because this is the only option with the Hebrew version of
JFW in Israel but I'm not limited to activations and the dongle could be
used with any JAWS version/language.
I can transfer the dongle freely from one computer to the other without
anything.

Thank you,

Adi.

[...]

What I think would be best for them to do, cell the dongles with the same
price as the ILM and stop the ILM method.
The dongle one is easier in my own opinion.

Adi.

[...]

Gerald:

Not so fast there!

I work as a college professor, and need a PC for my normal office work, and a laptop when in the classroom or when traveling.

So, that's two computers for work.

Then, at home, I have my main PC, but like to have a back-up, just in case I experience a
system crash like I did a few weeks ago.

So, I use three computers mainly in my personal and professional life, but have the fourth as a back-up to call into service as needed.

Tom in Michigan

[...]

Mostafa Al'mahdy <mostafa.almahdy@...>

I think in this case , you may need to acquire a dongle as an alternative , and that's probably what Freedom Scientific will propose.
Best Wishs.
It's always hope that gives meaning to life.
_______________

[...]

Well, interestingly, they re-set my activation count to 3, and I already have Jaws going on this computer, so next week may tell the story.

Tom from Michigan

[...]

Well:
If they did , then I' am glad so.
Don't give them the opportunity to take advantage of the situations by proposing that you may purchase a dongle if you will need more than three machines to be up and running at a time.
Mostafa Al'mahdy , Egyptian Citizen.
skype:
mostafa-the-speaker
[...]

Here in the UK is £45 for a dongle.

Peter

[...]

inthane <inthaneelf@...>

dongles wouldn't work here

not on my machines since there are four of them in total and I can be running anywhere from two to three at the same time.

but, fs has never given me a hassle with my authorizations, seems to be others with only one or two machines that are getting hassled.

regards,
elf
. Moderator, Blind Access Help.
. Owner: Alacorn Computer Enterprises
www.alacorncomputer.com
. proprietor: Inthane's Grab Bag
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com

[...]

no, they don't necessarily do this, dongles don't cover every situation.

I may need to run up to three of my machines at a time for synchronization and coordination, and they all need to talk so I know what is currently going on on each of them.

and FS already knows about my setup and as long as they don't get authorization requests from different locations from me or no more than two locations all is fine.

inthane
[...]

I think the issue is more the number of activations rather than the number of machines. The two don't necessarily corolate i.e. someone who is always tweaking and playing around with their one machine and doing potentially risky things with it as far as testing software etc might need to use more activations than someone with three PCs which are carefully managed and only used for business critical reasons and therefore unlikely to reactivate very often.

Yes the person who is playing and tweaking could back up and take precautions but at the end of the day it's their PC and they should be able to manage it however they want.

Peter