the documents list--solved!

Ann Byrne

thank you, David. that was it!

At 06:19 AM 8/15/2011, you wrote:
Hello there;

By chance did you make change in the tools/view menu.

If you go to desktop, enter on computer,

Alt+t=tools,

O=options,
Shift+tab=general,
Right arrow=view,
Now,
Tab to list view,
Press the letter "a",
You will hear;

Automatically type into the Search Box
Is this on?

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2011 6:59 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: the documents list

Tabbing to the documents list in Windows 7, I see all my folders
followed by the documents. So far, so good. but when I enter the
first few characters of a document name, instead of the cursor moving
to the document beginning with those characters, I am put into a
search window. Obviously I have tweaked something, but I haven't a
clue what. Tabbing, I have the 'name' split button, which has been
displayed forever, and nothing that looks strange. but first letter
navigation should take me to a document in the list instead of into a
search box.

Anybody got a clue???

thanks,

Ann

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hey, glad it worked for you.

That's the way I like things, very simple very easy to solve.

Lol.

Tabbing to the documents list in Windows 7, I see all my folders
followed by the documents. So far, so good. but when I enter the
first few characters of a document name, instead of the cursor moving
to the document beginning with those characters, I am put into a
search window. Obviously I have tweaked something, but I haven't a
clue what. Tabbing, I have the 'name' split button, which has been
displayed forever, and nothing that looks strange. but first letter
navigation should take me to a document in the list instead of into a
search box.

Anybody got a clue???

thanks,

Ann

Dave...

David,

Nice stuff, here. You are a great resource to this list and I plan to read
your answers carefully when I receive my Windows 7 machine early next month.

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630, currently not nearly close enough for my comfort
try to remedy that situation.

That's the way I like things, very simple very easy to solve.

Lol.

Tabbing to the documents list in Windows 7, I see all my folders
followed by the documents. So far, so good. but when I enter the
first few characters of a document name, instead of the cursor moving
to the document beginning with those characters, I am put into a
search window. Obviously I have tweaked something, but I haven't a
clue what. Tabbing, I have the 'name' split button, which has been
displayed forever, and nothing that looks strange. but first letter
navigation should take me to a document in the list instead of into a
search box.

Anybody got a clue???

thanks,

Ann

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hi;

Well, thanks, I try my best here.

Oh, yeah! Clients keep me busy,

We aim to please.

That's the way I like things, very simple very easy to solve.

Lol.

Tabbing to the documents list in Windows 7, I see all my folders
followed by the documents. So far, so good. but when I enter the
first few characters of a document name, instead of the cursor moving
to the document beginning with those characters, I am put into a
search window. Obviously I have tweaked something, but I haven't a
clue what. Tabbing, I have the 'name' split button, which has been
displayed forever, and nothing that looks strange. but first letter
navigation should take me to a document in the list instead of into a
search box.

Anybody got a clue???

thanks,

Ann

ohio1803@...

This is me being a bit thick.
But I did not change my settings yet in my Windows 7 machine that much.
And I have not yet learned as much as I need to when it comes to navigating the files and folders.

So you asked is it ON?
Which choice is best?

the first one, Automatically type in to the Search Box?
Or the 2nd one, Select the typed item in the view?

My setting, which is I guess is the default is to have the 2nd option check box checked.
And it is true, that when I press the letter the focus goes to each item in the folder starting with that letter as usual.

I tried the other setting, but had no clue as to what was going on there.
What is that setting doing, and how is it supposed to work?

One big thing that is different, I have noticed in Windows 7, has been how the contents in the List View do not automatically change to show the contents of the folder over in Folder View unless I hit Enter. Is that correct? Moving around in my Tree is made different in that way.

I also have trouble yet figuring out about how to use the dialog box in SAVE AS in Windows 7. Specifically, how to go and find the folder in which I wish to save my document or file. I used to always use Alt + I for Look In, and then go and find the folder. But am not finding that yet.

Perhaps I will post this with a separate heading. Unless you want to take it on here.
But I could sure use a bit of information on this, too.

Thanks very much, David and all of you's.

the Jaws for windows life line team.

Rik

That's the way I like things, very simple very easy to solve.

Lol.

Tabbing to the documents list in Windows 7, I see all my folders
followed by the documents. So far, so good. but when I enter the
first few characters of a document name, instead of the cursor moving
to the document beginning with those characters, I am put into a
search window. Obviously I have tweaked something, but I haven't a
clue what. Tabbing, I have the 'name' split button, which has been
displayed forever, and nothing that looks strange. but first letter
navigation should take me to a document in the list instead of into a
search box.

Anybody got a clue???

thanks,

Ann

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello there;

You ask;
So? Which is best?

the first one, Automatically type in to the Search Box?
Or the 2nd one, Select the typed item in the view?
Well, the first one should be off, unless, you wish to type in the search
box each time you go into a folder,
So yes, the second is on.

As for downloading?

If your using IE9,
When you go to download a file,
Press, ctrl+j, then tab options, you then can choose the folder/directory
where the file should go.
Or, when you press enter on the download link;
Press alt+n, and tab to save split button.

Remember, the default for downloads is,
The download folder found in the user folder,

Example,
On my computer it's David, then enter, then "d" for downloads.

I hope this gets you started.