From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Pat Pound
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:51 AM
To: jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
Subject: issue re windows firewall alert

Hello

I am running the latest Jaws and XP home.

I got a virus and my windows firewall alert activated -- however my cursor
was frozen and (after getting sighted help) found that I had options of
ignoring the alert and continuing but I could not get to this choice and
Jaws was not reading any of the information.

So, I cannot load Internet Explorer as it activates this virus -- wants me
to use xp security alert 2012 and loads an unregistered version etc. I
normally use Microsoft Security Essentials but I cannot run that either
from the toolbar or from the start menu.

Any advice?

Pat Pound

Dave Scrimenti <dscrimenti@...>

Format your hard drive and install your latest clean backup.

I am running the latest Jaws and XP home.

I got a virus and my windows firewall alert activated -- however my cursor was frozen and (after getting sighted help) found that I had options of ignoring the alert and continuing but I could not get to this choice and Jaws was not reading any of the information.

So, I cannot load Internet Explorer as it activates this virus -- wants me to use xp security alert 2012 and loads an unregistered version etc. I normally use Microsoft Security Essentials but I cannot run that either from the toolbar or from the start menu.

Any advice?

Pat Pound

Dave...

Richard,

Good suggestion; I would have done the same. However for the benefit of
others on the list it may be that restore will not run, if other programs
are not running.

And even if restore does go back to an earlier time the virus itself may not
be affected if it is lurking in system processes.

As Jackson suggested, Pat may have to resort to a new format of the hard
drive to remove all traces of the virus and install either from their last
known good backup/restore, or install the operating system and programs from
scratch.

One hope for the former and not the latter, for Pat's sake.

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630, currently not nearly close enough for my comfort
try to remedy that situation.

Try doing a system restore to an earlier point.

I am running the latest Jaws and XP home.

I got a virus and my windows firewall alert activated -- however my cursor
was frozen and (after getting sighted help) found that I had options of
ignoring the alert and continuing but I could not get to this choice and
Jaws was not reading any of the information.

So, I cannot load Internet Explorer as it activates this virus -- wants me
to use xp security alert 2012 and loads an unregistered version etc. I
normally use Microsoft Security Essentials but I cannot run that either
from the toolbar or from the start menu.

Any advice?

Pat Pound

Dorothy <dorothy.ingram-gorban@...>

That can be very scarey,I had once an attack by a Trojan when using
kasperskey, which actually no longer worked with jaws,this was in 2008, it
would not let me do a system restore,I wondered after if it was a
protective measure, to stop the Trojan being taken back into the system. I
heard jaws say "Belark obfuscated quaranteen not possible .I asked a
sighted person to kill the thing it said"strike and lace use any key" that
was done a scream was heard,quite awful, but I found all documents on
computer gone only programme andsample photos left. it hit the laptop like
that then went for my desktop,I called a computer engineer and he managed to
kill the Trojans but save computer contents I recorded what he did on a tape
recorder. The Trojan was actually in jaws acting like jaws,hard to explain
they were in an attachment,from local council! 5 trojans, Once it happens
you do not forget it I would always get in a professional to deal with it,I
know it is expensive. dorothy