Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:37 PM
Subject: Windows 10 question

Hi:

Now I have Win8, Jaws 14. Can I upgrade to Jaws 17 and then install Windows 10 myself or do I need sighted help? Is it ok to install Jaws first?

Sincerely,

Lauren

empacc.net

hi david:
you actually got your jaws versions transposed.
the jaws version 16 should be either:
jaws 16.0.4350, or:
jaws 16.0.4463, or:
the latest version of jaws 17 which is:
jaws17.0.1214.
just clarifying, is all.
don't want anyone to be confused.
take care.

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:54 PM
Subject: Re: Windows 10 question

Hi Lauren,
You can upgrade without sighted help. You should install JAWS 17 first. Then, download the Tool from FS that will allow you to get rid of all previous JAWS versions from your computer along with shared components. The only version you should have on your computer is Version 17. If you want, You could also have version 16.0.1214. That will also work on Windows 10. Also, you will want to download the media creation tool from the MS page and save it to your computer. Make sure that you don’t run the media creation tool until you run that FS tool to get rid all versions of JAWS off your computer except 16.0.1214 and JAWS 17. Now, you can run the media creation tool to install win 10. Just press enter on the tool and press enter on upgrade this pc. JAWS will still be working. Once you get through some screens, JAWS will go quiet and this is when you wait an hour or more to let win10 download to your computer. It is around 3 gigs. After an hour, just turn on Narrator by pressing windows key + enter. You will be able to finish the install with Narrator. Now, since you have Windows 8, it should install fine after the first time. It is upgrading from Windows 7 that causes the trouble and it takes a few times. I upgraded from Windows 8.1, and it took me one time of running the media creation tool, and win10 installed great the first time. This is really important. When win10 installs and JAWS comes back talking, it is good to uninstall JAWS and reinstall JAWS. If you do this, even upgrading from win 8 or 8.1, you will get much better results from JAWS from then on out. Please email me if you have any questions. It is easy, and once win10 is on your computer, I can really help you get everything adjusted so you have the best experience using win10. You will love it and never want to go back. I will be thinking about you as you upgrade. Email me as soon as you have any questions. Take care, David Moore.

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:37 PM

Hi:

Now I have Win8, Jaws 14. Can I upgrade to Jaws 17 and then install Windows 10 myself or do I need sighted help? Is it ok to install Jaws first?

Sincerely,

Lauren

Howard Wolcott

David Moore

Hi,
I sure did, Thank you so much for correcting my mistake. Lauren, that is what the versions are. I need some more coffee. Take care.

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:54 PM

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:37 PM

Hi:

Now I have Win8, Jaws 14. Can I upgrade to Jaws 17 and then install Windows 10 myself or do I need sighted help? Is it ok to install Jaws first?

Sincerely,

Lauren

Howard Wolcott

Lauren Snyder

Thank you. I am going to attempt and follow your steps. I may be emailing you from my IPhone.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:54 PM

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:37 PM

Hi:

Now I have Win8, Jaws 14. Can I upgrade to Jaws 17 and then install Windows 10 myself or do I need sighted help? Is it ok to install Jaws first?

Sincerely,

Lauren

Howard Wolcott

Lauren Snyder

How do I know when windows 10 is done installing? Jaws  came back on. The sounds I have to open and close programs keeps going on and on so I am uncertain. Is there way I can check their windows 10 is the operating system on my PC? Was I correct to choose express settings? Now do I need to uninstall Jaws  17 and reinstall it?
Lauren
   my iPhone

Hi, I installed windows 10, how do I know if I am done? Just came back on. Is there a way I can check that windows 10 is the operating system that is running on my PC?Thank you. I am uncertain as my signals for opening and closing programs is  going on and on. Was I right you choose express settings and Cortina?

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:37 PM

Hi:

Now I have Win8, Jaws 14. Can I upgrade to Jaws 17 and then install Windows 10 myself or do I need sighted help? Is it ok to install Jaws first?

Sincerely,

Lauren

Hi,

Press Windows+Pause to open System settings, then use JAWS cursor to read the screen contents (one of them should say “Windows Edition”). You can keep using JAWS 17, but I heard reports that it might be necessary to repair your JAWS installation.

The express settings turns on several features, including sending certain data to Microsoft to improve your Windows 10 experience. I and other Windows 10 users recommend not using express settings when installing Windows 10 (we did have a discussion about this on the Windows 10 list, which can be found at http://groups.io/g/win10).

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:37 PM

Hi:

Now I have Win8, Jaws 14. Can I upgrade to Jaws 17 and then install Windows 10 myself or do I need sighted help? Is it ok to install Jaws first?

Sincerely,

Lauren

Lauren Snyder

Where is the pause key? I am using a laptop lay out for Jaws 17?

Sincerely,

Lauren

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:37 PM

Hi:

Now I have Win8, Jaws 14. Can I upgrade to Jaws 17 and then install Windows 10 myself or do I need sighted help? Is it ok to install Jaws first?

Sincerely,

Lauren

Hi,

Most laptops require you ot hold down what’s called Fn key and press another key.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:37 PM

Hi:

Now I have Win8, Jaws 14. Can I upgrade to Jaws 17 and then install Windows 10 myself or do I need sighted help? Is it ok to install Jaws first?

Sincerely,

Lauren

Lauren Snyder

Does that mean I need to press the windows key and the fn key to find out whatversion of Windows I have?

Sincerely,

Lauren

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:37 PM

Hi:

Now I have Win8, Jaws 14. Can I upgrade to Jaws 17 and then install Windows 10 myself or do I need sighted help? Is it ok to install Jaws first?

Sincerely,

Lauren

Hi,

Windows+Fn+whatever key the laptop manufactuer asked you to press (via the user guide) to find out. A more simpler way is:

1.      Press Windows+R to open Run dialog.

2.      Type “msinfo32” (without quotes) and press ENTER.

3.      Go to the list that shows up and the first thing will be the version and edition of Windows you have.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:37 PM

Hi:

Now I have Win8, Jaws 14. Can I upgrade to Jaws 17 and then install Windows 10 myself or do I need sighted help? Is it ok to install Jaws first?

Sincerely,

Lauren

David Moore

Hi Lauren,
After an hour of silence, turn on Narrator. You just have to enter on a yes button a couple of times and wait 20 more minutes. At that time, JAWS will talk. When JAWS starts talking, you know that win10 is all done installing. You then need to uninstall and reinstall JAWS 17 on your computer. Now, you should be set. I will right up a small guide for you to show you what settings changes you will want to make to make win10 work the best with JAWS. Let me know if you have win10 on your computer. This is how you know if you have win10 on your computer. Press windows key + R to bring up the run dialog. Just type in winver. It is all lower case. A window will come up telling you what version of windows is on your computer. That is the best way to check. If you do have win10, then I can help you get the most out of win10. If you do not, then we will figure out what is going on. Have a great one, Lauren.

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:37 PM

Hi:

Now I have Win8, Jaws 14. Can I upgrade to Jaws 17 and then install Windows 10 myself or do I need sighted help? Is it ok to install Jaws first?

Sincerely,

Lauren

Lauren Snyder

Hi Dave:

Yes, I have Windows 10 running now. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you for the help you have already given.