moderated Question about typing Spanish on a document

James Malone

Hi all, one of my clients pressed a key on the keyboard to change the language to Spanish. She doesn’t know what keystroke she used. Does anyone else know so this doesn’t happen again? It put the entire document in Spanish.

She is using word 2016.

Best:

James

http://www.cdbaby.com/jamesmalone

James Malone, (916)212-5397http://www.tunecore.com

Shan Noyes

Change my keyboard on my computer between languages I hold the ship in the control key together

On May 26, 2018, at 11:25 AM, James Malone <malone_j@...> wrote:

Hi all, one of my clients pressed a key on the keyboard to change the language to Spanish. She doesn’t know what keystroke she used. Does anyone else know so this doesn’t happen again? It put the entire document in Spanish.

She is using word 2016.

Best:

James

http://www.cdbaby.com/jamesmalone

James Malone, (916)212-5397http://www.tunecore.com

James Malone

Thanks for that. Good to know.

Change my keyboard on my computer between languages I hold the ship in the control key together

On May 26, 2018, at 11:25 AM, James Malone <malone_j@...> wrote:

Hi all, one of my clients pressed a key on the keyboard to change the language to Spanish. She doesn’t know what keystroke she used. Does anyone else know so this doesn’t happen again? It put the entire document in Spanish.

She is using word 2016.

Best:

James

http://www.cdbaby.com/jamesmalone

James Malone, (916)212-5397http://www.tunecore.com

Shan,

          Did you, by any chance, use voice dictation on that last message.  It reads "ship in the control key," which I take to mean SHIFT and the CTRL, but I'm wondering if you actually meant SHIFT+ALT?

WinKey+Spacebar appears to be the default, see:  https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-keyboard-layout-windows-10 and is the option documented on the keyboard shortcuts page for Windows 10:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts
It also seems that SHIFT+ALT will work, see:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-desktop/windows-10-keyboard-switch-language/f6473ac0-2006-4a51-aabe-124f4f1b3507

          You can, of course, change the default, though and you have to have more than one language defined for the system to allow switching.  I just haven't been able to find SHIFT+CTRL documented as an alternative.

         ~ Mark Twain

James Malone

Well none of the shortcuts worked.

[...]

Elise Berkley

Hello, everyone.
I haven't been on the list in quite a while. But, I decided to review this digest. Thank everyone for this question and the replies. I am taking Spanish 1 in summer school this summer, and I did not even know you could do this with the keyboard. It will be very helpful in my assignments. Thanks again!
Elise Berkley

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 12:42 am, James Malone wrote:
Well none of the shortcuts worked.
Then she's done something "odd."   That's the only way to put it, and one would have to know what it is that's come to be to know how to undo it.

The only way you can change keyboard languages (and/or the entire OS's display language) in Windows is if you have more than one language installed under Windows and the keyboard swapping is done in one of the several ways previously noted.

A screen shot would be helpful for me in terms of trying to figure out what's actually going on here.

         ~ Mark Twain

Marianne Denning

If you are trying to put the different accent marks four different languages in a word document they can be found by using insert for. That gives you a list of all of the different things you can put in you find it and hit enter.

On May 26, 2018, at 8:51 PM, James Malone <malone_j@...> wrote:

[...]

Sorry about that got a love voice dictation you have to be careful with it as well as auto correct you’re right Brian have a good day

On May 26, 2018, at 5:59 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

[...]

Soronel Haetir

In word (or wordpad) it's even easier to do accented characters, hit
ctrl+<accent key character> followed by the letter, for example é can
be produced by ctrl+' then e, <accent key character> is one of "'",
'"'. ':', '^', '`', '~', probably some others. And note that not all
accents work with all characters. The list is much larger than what
you get with jaws' jaws+4 though.

On May 26, 2018, at 5:59 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and
many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome,
charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one
little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
~ Mark Twain
--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com